Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#3481 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:28 PM

Technically, the Autoplan broker can only issue replacement plates if the theft has been reported to police and you bring the case number. Bit more complex than simply walking in to see your broker, you also have to file a false police report.

That's not technically correct, I lost a plate off my 4X4 somewhere out in the boonies and I just went into an insurance agent and got new plates. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3482 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:52 PM

If you can't stand a few people commenting on your (harebrained) idea, then ya, don't run for office.

It's funny because that's pretty much the raison d'être for this board. To enable a few people to comment on harebrained ideas.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Bob Fugger and 2 others like this

#3483 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:31 PM

It's funny because that's pretty much the raison d'être for this board. To enable a few people to comment on harebrained ideas.

I know, and I think there is room to have another category for those that have the "most ignored content".

We should be able to SEE who is leading, and who has missed an important non-hairbrained idea.

Like this idea for instance.

#3484 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:49 PM

Wow. If you can't stand a few people commenting on your (harebrained) idea, then ya, don't run for office.

You can comment on my ideas all you like.  It's when people stop commenting on my ideas and instead start making personal attacks on my character and or me as an individual  that crosses over that line.At that point it's no longer conversation or debate, but instead plain old BULLYING.  I've never personally insulted or attacked any member of this forum in any post that I have ever made.Yet at least a dozen people that post here have gone into what I call "Bully" mode and have made personal and negative attacks on me as an individual, instead of  what I was expressing.  I simply expect the same in return. No strings attached, no conditions. That's how it works. 

Anyhow, the Ignore list is good. I have about 20 people on it currently that I no longer have to listen to , read about, or see their responses. It's nice to have that option. Kinda stops the bully's in their tracks.  Or at least until the next one comes along.

P.S. if you look back, you will find at no time in any post have I ever stated that I was running for office.

I did however state that "IF" i did, this is what I would do. And then I listed of a bunch of ideas I have for the city.  All EXCELLENT ideas of course naturally.

Edited by Star Dust, 13 February 2018 - 11:52 PM.

#3485 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,032 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:02 AM

I learned last week that you can add parking to your metered city space at any ticket kiosk downtown, just by entering your parking number.

Silly me for not realizing that sooner. I walked out of the credit union, and realized I wanted to stay in town a little longer. I tried the parking app but it wouldn’t load for whatever reason so crossed the street to a kiosk a few blocks from where I was parked and added time.

That’s another great way to avoid (getting and) paying a parking ticket.

Matt.
  • Bingo and lanforod like this

#3486 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:43 AM

^^^

Time for the cowboy to ride off into the sunset again like you did a few weeks back.  Advocating fraud and running for mayor doesn't capture much interest from the voting public.

Sometimes professional victims feel they need to stick around in order to fulfil their need to feel victimized.

Time to call a spade, a spade.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#3487 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:34 AM

Star Dust, if you're already blocking people and feeling victimized, maybe this isn't the platform for you.

• Coreyburger, Bingo, sdwright.vic and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3488 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:03 AM

Technically, the Autoplan broker can only issue replacement plates if the theft has been reported to police and you bring the case number. Bit more complex than simply walking in to see your broker, you also have to file a false police report.

I am not justifying the act of swapping plates to avoid paying tickets but your info is incorrect. If you lose your rear plate (with the sticker) then you might need a report, but if you lose your front plate then it is (was) $12, and no hassles, to replace it 

• Star Dust likes this

#3489 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:05 AM

Then you bring in your remaining back one and swap it for two new ones?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3490 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:09 AM

...if you're already blocking people and feeling victimized, maybe this isn't the platform for you.

I wish you had given me this advice about 13,000 posts ago.

• Nparker, Hotel Mike, lanforod and 2 others like this

#3491 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:11 AM

I am not justifying the act of swapping plates to avoid paying tickets but your info is incorrect. If you lose your rear plate (with the sticker) then you might need a report, but if you lose your front plate then it is (was) $12, and no hassles, to replace it 

I'm just sharing the information available from ICBC about replacement plates. Certainly what happens in practice could be different from the process they describe online.

#3492 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:28 PM

Anyhow, the Ignore list is good. I have about 20 people on it currently that I no longer have to listen to , read about, or see their responses. It's nice to have that option. Kinda stops the bully's in their tracks.  Or at least until the next one comes along.

You do understand that in public office there is no ignore button, you have to sit there and listen to everyone's idea regardless of how stupid you think it is?

If you have already blocked 20 people, that represents a good chunk of the regular posters on here

Let us know your when you officially run for mayor.  Its not as easy as you might think it is

Lastly, you also understand parking tickets don't just go away, there is no statute of limitations on them and they keep piling up and one day in say 30 years they could come knocking?  What about if one day ICBC decides to agree with municipalities and not renew your insurance or drivers license until all debts are cleared up?

• Rob Randall, Coreyburger, Bingo and 1 other like this

#3493 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:30 PM

Oh, and one thing that pisses me off is that if you are running late at a business meeting, etc and you get a City ticket, its not tax deductible.  Private tickets are however tax deductible

#3494 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:45 PM

We have the technology to more or less end traditional ticketing already now.  Why don't we use it?  If you register your plate in advance with the City, if a meter guy shows up and you are in default, he dings you 2x the hourly rate, automatically charged to your credit card used at registration.  Seems easy and saves the more onerous collection system.  And it's a friendlier, lesser fine.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 14 February 2018 - 06:45 PM.

• zoomer likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3495 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:41 PM

^sorry are you saying we have this system in place now or are you suggesting it, I am a little confused.  if we have it in place where can I register my plates?

Also, if I am not mistaken I think I remember something if you had 5 or more outstanding tickets they could tow your car? is that correct?

#3496 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:51 PM

We have the technological capability in place. It’s easy.

I think you can be towed after 10 or so tickets.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 14 February 2018 - 08:53 PM.

#3497 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:47 PM

We have the technological capability in place. It’s easy.

I think you can be towed after 10 or so tickets.

When I did the job it was 11 tickets.

We would get a notification on our hand held computers as soon as you punched the plate number in.  Then we would radio the dispatcher, who would then run the  plate. It was up to the Boss at the office whether or not to send a tow truck. Sometimes they would, sometimes they would say "na, just give them another ticket"  The City of course has to PAY the towing company to tow the car, so it was not all that often that they actually sent a tow truck.

#3498 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:17 AM

If true, then the city is stupid. The towing company can collect the towing fee from the person when they pick up there car from impound.
  • Bingo likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3499 Freedom57

Freedom57
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:20 AM

In my opinion, SD’s post of Feb 13th on not paying parking tickets was quite appropriate for this site and topic.  While I wouldn’t follow this practice for various reasons (being risk adverse, having the finances to pay the ticket, personal ethics, etc.) it is interesting information on what takes place in the City of Victoria.

Many politicians are on this site from what I understand and they could use this type of information to address loopholes in the system, if they choose.

I don’t think it appropriate for other readers to go after the character of the posting person.  Just take the information for what it is.  Food for thought.  Isn’t that what this site is about? 

Not everyone is going to agree with everything on here, from what I have seen.  I enjoy the diversity of opinions.

• Rob Randall, Bingo and GaryRanson like this

#3500 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:37 PM

38 Stall Parking proposed for 629-635 Chatham.

At the COTW meeting March 8, a proposal for 38 stalls of parking goes to council.

This is a temporary use permit for up to 3 years.

The staff report recommends that council decline.

Interested to see if council will turn it down or approve it.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users