Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#3641 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

Here's exactly what councillor Isitt said:

"Eventually I think the community will be going into the direction of permitted parking on all roads, that probably has a monetary figure attached. We're not doing it next month, I probably won't even be on this council when it happens, but that is the direction I think we're gonna be going over time because we have land scarcity and we will begin to, I think, have price signals attached for the privilege of storing a private vehicle on public land."

I made a mistake. The councillor was speaking to him not being on council when the above happens, not that he would not be re-elected if it were to happen. Listening to the councillor live I missed the nuance.

Listen here and FF to 32:40.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3642 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:52 PM

Effectively the same thing I'd interpret though. He's saying he thinks thats going to happen, we know he's running again (right?), but it probably won't happen when he's on council? So sounds like if/when it happens, it'll be after he doesn't run again.

Interestingly, he doesn't seem to actually say if he supports that direction or not. He's learning politician speak...

#3643 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:07 PM

...I probably won't even be on this council when it happens...

From Ben Isitt's lips to all available gods' ears.

#3644 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:26 PM

no just a car that drives around and scans plates.

have you seen the guy that rides his trike around every weekend morning and picks up the nightly urinals. that would probably work too.

crowd source it like Skip The Dishes.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 04 May 2018 - 03:28 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3645 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:30 PM

"Eventually I think the community will be going into the direction of permitted parking on all roads, that probably has a monetary figure attached. We're not doing it next month, I probably won't even be on this council when it happens, but that is the direction I think we're gonna be going over time because we have land scarcity and we will begin to, I think, have price signals attached for the privilege of storing a private vehicle on public land."

I made a mistake. The councillor was speaking to him not being on council when the above happens, not that he would not be re-elected if it were to happen. Listening to the councillor live I missed the nuance.

Listen here and FF to 32:40.

Gotcha, so like the West End of Vancouver, or any of the other paid permit residential parking zones throughout the city. That's a long ways off for Victoria, methinks!

#3646 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:33 PM

let’s reclaim some parking and road and median space now and use it. i can point to 300 places in the city we can do better.
  • Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3647 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:36 PM

Let’s reclaim some parking and road and median space now and use it...

Especially as many of the grassy medians in the CoV are maintained very poorly. They'd be vastly more useful as parking spaces.

#3648 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:44 PM

i did not mean for more parking. let’s look at uselessly wide roads (Rithet, Balmoral) and find good things to do with them, for example.

the only thing preventing us doing stuff is our own lethargy.

i already showed yesterday how the City could make better neighbourhoods in Oakland’s and net $10M in land sales.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 04 May 2018 - 03:47 PM.

#3649 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:50 PM

Gotcha, so like the West End of Vancouver, or any of the other paid permit residential parking zones throughout the city. That's a long ways off for Victoria, methinks!

No, that's not it. More like if Vancouver charged for homeowners to park in the 3800-block of Heather Street. That's what Isitt says is coming to Victoria.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3650 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:52 PM

I think we're gonna be going over time because we have land scarcity and we will begin to, I think, have price signals attached for the privilege of storing a private vehicle on public land."

This isn't about scarcity of land, this is about his view of people owning nice things and the personal automobile. 

I don't want to live in a city where parking on residential streets is pay-for-use. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3651 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:37 PM

no just a car that drives around and scans plates.

have you seen the guy that rides his trike around every weekend morning and picks up the nightly urinals. that would probably work too.

crowd source it like Skip The Dishes.

A car driving around scanning won't work due to parallel parking. It barely works at UVic with regular end to end parking.

• tedward likes this

#3652 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:16 AM

it might not catch the cars sandwiched between two others, but most residential streets have enough driveways etc to break up cars that it’ll catch 60% of them with better technology.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 05 May 2018 - 04:16 AM.

#3653 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:10 AM

it may not be scanning license plates, you may have to buy a parking sticker that has to be installed on the drivers and passenger sides of the car.  No sticker and you automatically get a ticket.  Can't see the sticker you get a ticket, etc, etc.

I also personally believe the city needs to be taxing houses with illegal suites.  Essentially those basement suites are not paying property taxes, school taxes, etc, etc.  They also create more parking problems because that illegal suite probably has 1 car, maybe 2 depending who lives there.

#3654 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:02 AM

I also personally believe the city needs to be taxing houses with illegal suites. Essentially those basement suites are not paying property taxes, school taxes, etc, etc. They also create more parking problems because that illegal suite probably has 1 car, maybe 2 depending who lives there.

This is impossible. If the suite was legal, the property would be taxed accordingly. If you tax an illegal suite, you are in essence legitimizing it. Which can’t happen, because it doesn’t confirm to zoning. And to zone it properly, it would need to be inspected and brought up to Code. And then most tenants would be out on their asses. So this will never happen.
  • Matt R. and DustMagnet like this

#3655 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:15 AM

....If you tax an illegal suite, you are in essence legitimizing it.If you tax an illegal suite, you are in essence legitimizing it. Which can’t happen...

You mean like the way the CoV doesn't license illegal storefront pot shops?

#3656 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:09 AM

You mean like the way the CoV doesn't license illegal storefront pot shops?

Hence their bringing legitimacy to something illegal.  Does it raise or lower your esteem for the City?

#3657 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:31 AM

...Does it raise or lower your esteem for the City?

My esteem for the city hasn't changed, but I have very little left for those who govern it.

• rjag likes this

#3658 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:58 PM

Hmm, in the USA you can be taxed on income from illegal activities and that hasn't legitimized them (they remain illegal).  That legal concept could be at play here as well.

#3659 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:05 PM

In Canada you also can be taxed on illegal income.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 05 May 2018 - 07:06 PM.

#3660 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:14 PM

Yep, happens all the time to drug dealers.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users