Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#3661 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:57 PM

In Canada you also can be taxed on illegal income.

So illegal suites might be subject to fees that does not also legitimize them.

Probably not the same thing though - it's not like you can pay taxes on drugs sold and the government is like, "Thanks for the taxes, we're not going to bother investigating the actual drug selling thing."

So if the city wanted to tax an illegal suite it would probably also be obligated to pursue a bylaw infraction against the property.  Or maybe not - is the city required to pursue bylaw infractions that are not complaint-driven?

• Bob Fugger likes this

#3662 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:24 PM

^actually CRA assess and collects taxes from drug dealers quite often.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3663 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

OK, fair points everyone.  With respect to complaint-driven vs proactive bylaw enforcement, I assume given resource constraints, that it is mostly the former.  Except for AirBnB, where the City has contracted out a proactive investigation function to a third party.

In this case (and apologies for the thread creep), what does a bylaw officer do when they discover an AirBnB in an illegal suite?  They have committed to shutting down STVR units where they are not permitted.  But if you discover one non-confirming use (STVR) along with another non-conforming use (unregistered basement suite), is it not incumbent upon the City to shut down both?  I can't see how they can, with any legitimacy, selectively choose which bylaws to enforce when they have evidence of simultaneous infractions.  As such, the housing unit is lost, which is exactly what the STVR ban is meant to promote (i.e., more rental units).

#3664 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:34 PM

I also personally believe the city needs to be taxing houses with illegal suites.  Essentially those basement suites are not paying property taxes, school taxes, etc, etc.  They also create more parking problems because that illegal suite probably has 1 car, maybe 2 depending who lives there.

Victoria's bylaws don't require a parking space to be provided for secondary suites or garden suites, so legal or not they may be contributing to increased street parking

#3665 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:35 PM

OK, fair points everyone.  With respect to complaint-driven vs proactive bylaw enforcement, I assume given resource constraints, that it is mostly the former.  Except for AirBnB, where the City has contracted out a proactive investigation function to a third party.

In this case (and apologies for the thread creep), what does a bylaw officer do when they discover an AirBnB in an illegal suite?  They have committed to shutting down STVR units where they are not permitted.  But if you discover one non-confirming use (STVR) along with another non-conforming use (unregistered basement suite), is it not incumbent upon the City to shut down both?  I can't see how they can, with any legitimacy, selectively choose which bylaws to enforce when they have evidence of simultaneous infractions.  As such, the housing unit is lost, which is exactly what the STVR ban is meant to promote (i.e., more rental units).

If it's anything like Richmond, the homeowner receives a notice of the infraction and a list of options, typically 1) Remove the suite and have a building inspector confirm it has been removed, or 2) Legitimize the suite through a building permit.

#3666 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:02 PM

^ it’s nothing like that here.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3667 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:17 PM

^ it’s nothing like that here.

Isn't it?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3668 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:23 PM

I’ve never heard of a basement suite being shut down in my 30+ adult years in Saanich, Victoria or Esquimalt. I know dozens and dozens of people that operate them, own them, and live in them. Never heard a case of enforcement.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 07 May 2018 - 02:24 PM.

• Bob Fugger and Midnightly like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3669 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,008 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:20 PM

We rented a suite in an illegal fourplex (legal duplex) on Catherine and Wilson that was shut down by the City in 2008, which was good timing as it forced us to buy a shitty townhouse.

Matt.

#3670 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:24 PM

One account since 2008 then.

0.1 shutdowns per year in CoV.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 07 May 2018 - 05:25 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#3671 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:16 PM

I think you'd be surprised just how often it actually happens.

Bylaw can't ignore a complaint and a complaint leading to identified infractions, be they building code or whatnot, must be dealt with.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3672 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:55 AM

ok, but what makes a basement officially an illegal suite?  I believe its having a stove I think, but can anyone confirm that?

After all lets say I had an illegal basement suite (I don't): 

Bedrooms/bathroom - they are just overflow from upstairs

Living room - its just my downstairs rec room

Kitchen - hence where I think the stove thing comes in.  Some luxury houses have 2 kitchens thou or maybe the 2nd one is a kitchenette?

Anyway, does anyone know the official answer?

#3673 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:43 PM

It’s usually a full kitchen, plus separate entrances.

Know it all.

#3674 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:54 PM

Some municipalities (including Victoria) refer to the BC Building Code for their definition of a secondary suite.

Dwelling unit means a suite operated as a housekeeping unit, used or intended to be used by one or more persons and usually containing cooking, eating, living, sleeping and sanitary facilities.

Secondary suite means an additional dwelling unit a) having a total floor space of not more than 90 m2 in area, b) having a floor space less than 40% of the habitable floor space of the building, c) located within a building of residential occupancy containing only one other dwelling unit, and d) located in and part of a building which is a single real estate entity.

Suite means a single room or series of rooms of complementary use, operated under a single tenancy, and includes dwelling units, individual guest rooms in motels, hotels, boarding houses, rooming houses and dormitories as well as individual stores and individual or complementary rooms for business and personal services occupancies.

Taken from https://www2.gov.bc....dary_suites.pdf

#3675 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:32 AM

And here we have another example of a social housing project with just a hair below a 1:1 parking ratio.

Publicly funded projects tend to supply significantly more parking than privately funded projects, and often exceed even the City's parking requirements. In the case above 82 stalls are provided for 88-units of housing, outpacing the City's requirement of 54 stalls.

Know it all.

#3676 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:27 PM

So you want the state to mandate parking quotas on the private sector?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3677 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:32 AM

But the state already does that with new construction.
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3678 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:47 PM

In Surrey the fire chief has done a study to show that the space in front of fire hydrants can be reduced to approx. 2 metres from the existing 7 metres thus freeing up 2600 parking spots in Surrey. I guess it would work anywhere.

• rjag likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3679 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:08 PM

In Surrey the fire chief has done a study to show that the space in front of fire hydrants can be reduced to approx. 2 metres from the existing 7 metres thus freeing up 2600 parking spots in Surrey. I guess it would work anywhere.

Imagine if those fire hydrant spots in Victoria could be changed to commercial and taxi only spots....

#3680 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:14 PM

Imagine if those fire hydrant spots in Victoria could be changed to commercial and taxi only spots....

Or really short bike lanes.

• rjag likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users