Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
3689 replies to this topic

#3681 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 460 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:36 PM

Or really short bike lanes.

It's funny because these exist.

#3682 threePs

threePs
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 03:15 PM

Schedule C Off-Street Parking Regulation Bylaw is going to Public Hearing tonight. Biggest changes include dividing parking requirements based on 3 different building types (condo/apartments/affordable rental). Requirements are also based on units size so that 3 bedrooms units don't have the same parking needs as a studio would.

#3683 tjv

tjv
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:05 PM

It’s usually a full kitchen, plus separate entrances.

So I have been asking around to a lot of residential builders and the answer all came back the same, its a second stove.  You can have another kitchen with fridge in the basement, but apparently having a second stove, or even wiring for one, and the building inspector will immediately classify that area of the house as a 2nd suite

• lanforod and pennymurphy2000 like this

#3684 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 42,683 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:03 PM

No plumbing for a sink?

ThreeP’s, thanks for that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3685 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 368 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:51 AM

Probably because most houses have at least 2 sinks (one in kitchen and one in bathroom). Mine has an additional 2 with one in the downstairs bathroom and one I'm the laundry room.

#3686 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 42,683 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 05:26 AM

Ok,interesting!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3687 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:05 AM

^Indeed--plumbing for a laundry room sink could be taken for proof you're not going to have an illegal suite.

You'll need that big laundry room when your apartment-dwelling kids bring their laundry home to wash (provided they can park their car in the residential-only zone.) See, thread back on track.

#3688 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 42,683 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:39 AM

When I was applying for my mortgage the bank wanted to know if there was a secondary suite. Their requirements were a stove, a sink and a fridge (or hook-ups for those things, plus a separate entrance). Without those things they would not consider it a mortgage helper.

I didn’t pursue that but it was definitely an option to have those connections put in if I was pressed to do so.

Know it all.

#3689 tjv

tjv
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:00 AM

^that's interesting, being in the mortgage business I look for line items on their income tax for rental income and what the inspection report has to say. 

I am not sure I could look at it that if you install a stove, sink, fridge and separate entrance you will automatically get more income.  That's like saying well I have my bachelors, only another 3 years to get my law degree and then my income skyrockets on a mortgage application.  Get the second suite up and running, rented, and then we'll talk

#3690 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 42,683 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:33 AM

The banks just want to know if, in the event it's required, you have the ability to generate additional income. They don't particularly care if its in tip-top shape the moment you purchase the home but that you won't have to incur $25,000 to rent out a suite for $1,200/month.

Know it all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.