Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#3901 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:40 PM

And it goes back to how do they distribute the passes? By school? But only within COV boundaries? By residential postal code? So a kid fro affluenza Rockland/Fairfield qualifies but not one from Craigflower if they are just over the line?

It will be interesting to see how they deal with this and what to do with revenue shortfalls...who pays then? 

• Nparker, sebberry and Midnightly like this

#3902 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:53 PM

Agreed, but it is administered provincially. A policy change such as free youth bus passes should be made at that level, not by each municipality.

Very-ish. BC Transit is a crown corp that plans for transit. BC Transit also delivers transit here in locally (everywhere else in contracted, sometimes to the city or region). The Victoria Regional Transit Commission is the local government(ish) body that oversees transit service in the region. It is neither fully provincial, nor fully local

#3903 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:57 PM

At a special Committee of the Whole meeting held yesterday morning City of Victoria councillors decided to pursue plans to introduce Sunday on-street paid parking as the means by which the City will pay for BC Transit passes for youth.

Transit passes for youth were a key component of Mayor Lisa Helps' 2018 election campaign, although at the time the means of funding the passes was not yet decided.

Council has directed staff to provide more information regarding youth passes and the opportunity to charge Sunday parking fees to pay for them.

I think CoV should make pay parking active from 6am to 10pm 7 days a week, in exchange I want free BC Ferries to Vancouver

• Nparker, rjag, sdwright.vic and 2 others like this

#3904 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:29 PM

Fares & service levels are set by each municipality - that's not a provincial responsibility.

But that's not entirely true in the CRD, where the Victoria Regional Transit Commission sets the fares and service levels. If the CoV model is followed, then perhaps each of the 13 municipalities should be doing this independently of each other. If one aspect of the system can be city specific (i.e free bus passes only for youth in the CoV) perhaps all aspects should be. 

#3905 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:49 PM

And it goes back to how do they distribute the passes? By school? But only within COV boundaries? By residential postal code? So a kid fro affluenza Rockland/Fairfield qualifies but not one from Craigflower if they are just over the line?

It will be interesting to see how they deal with this and what to do with revenue shortfalls...who pays then? 

I believe what they want to do is offer every kid a subsidized pass like UVIC and Camosun does. It wouldn't be free, but it would be a lot less than the going rate. Last time I checked though, the City hadn't actually spoken to BC Transit about their idea.

#3906 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:17 PM

I believe what they want to do is offer every kid a subsidized pass like UVIC and Camosun does...

Yes but only the kids that live in the CoV - right? Keep in mind that many SD 61 schools are outside the municipal boundaries of Victoria.

GVSD.JPG

Do the youth of the rest of the district get a subsidized ride on my tax dollars?

• rjag and sdwright.vic like this

#3907 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:29 PM

Yes but only the kids that live in the CoV - right? Keep in mind that many SD 61 schools are outside the municipal boundaries of Victoria.

Do the youth of the rest of the district get a subsidized ride on my tax dollars?

Most likely, I'll be sure to have the Mayor of Oak Bay send you a Thank You card!

• Nparker likes this

#3908 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,877 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:30 AM

every city of victoria kid can have one. she has to show residency. bct then just bills the city at some type of discount rate.

it’s not that complicated. if you are a kid that lives in esquimalt saanich or oak bay you are out of luck. of course there will be some cheating.

#3909 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:31 AM

This is another project that Victoria will lead on and iron out the details (phase 1) and people will whine and moan (phase 2), then the other munis will also jump on board (phase 3).  See plastic bags.  See protected bike lanes.

See phase 2 below...

• Baro, Coreyburger, nerka and 1 other like this

#3910 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:33 AM

God forbid those paying for boondoggles actually raise their voice in criticism when they go off the rails, the "budget" doubles, they are short-sighted, play only to council's base, etc., etc.

• Nparker, sdwright.vic, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#3911 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:35 AM

Except its not your tax dollars, I understand its being paid for Sunday parking fees which are paid for everyone even non CoV residents

• Baro likes this

#3912 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,877 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:43 AM

what's the relationship between people parking on sundays and kids getting free buses though?  

#3913 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:47 AM

What's the relationship between paid parking making sense only 6 out of 7 days?  If it's good public policy M-Sat it's good public policy on Sunday too.

• Baro, tedward, thundergun and 1 other like this

#3914 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:48 AM

Except its not your tax dollars, I understand its being paid for Sunday parking fees which are paid for everyone even non CoV residents

And if the revenue from Sunday parking doesn't cover the cost of the "free" bus passes, from where will the shortfall come? Non-CoV residents?

#3915 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,877 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:54 AM

What's the relationship between paid parking making sense only 6 out of 7 days?  If it's good public policy M-Sat it's good public policy on Sunday too.

i agree.  but funny how helps election promise of free buses was not tied to sunday pay parking.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#3916 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:58 AM

And if the revenue from Sunday parking doesn't cover the cost of the "free" bus passes, from where will the shortfall come? Non-CoV residents?

Probably fees from parking the other 6 days of the week!  That's a huge cash cow for CoV residents paid for largely by non CoV residents

Quick numbers CoV gets 7% of their total revenue from parking and related fines.  Lets extend Sunday as 1% for rounding.  Total revenues are $233 million so that's an extra $2.3 million in revenue.  That's a lot of bus passes! (and we have no idea of they are to be subsidized or free)  Besides CoV volunteered to do this its not like they had a gun to their head.  If they come up with stupid ideas don't blame the residents of the other municipalities

#3917 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:12 PM

...Besides CoV volunteered to do this its not like they had a gun to their head...

Based on the fact that the majority of CoV residents (57%) didn't vote for Lisa Helps, I am not sure this can be entirely laid at the feet of the local electorate.

#3918 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:19 PM

This is another project that Victoria will lead on and iron out the details (phase 1) and people will whine and moan (phase 2), then the other munis will also jump on board (phase 3). See plastic bags. See protected bike lanes.

See phase 2 below...

You left out the part about the CoV executing the bike lanes badly and expensively. THAT is what causes people to "whine" and "moan." (AKA speak common sense).
  • sdwright.vic and Cassidy like this

#3919 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:36 PM

You left out the part about the CoV executing the bike lanes badly and expensively. THAT is what causes people to "whine" and "moan." (AKA speak common sense).

If you dont like bike lanes, even if they cost $1 it would still be too much.  Look at all the whining about a private company's dealings with bike share.  You'd think a forum of right wingers would care less what happens to Ubicycle (they're doing fine by the way, and expanding all over).

#3920 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:16 PM

^ To be fair, the griping about U-Bicycle is not about money or who's paying for it but about the bikes being strewn around,  Right-wing, left-wing, most people don't want the sidewalks blocked, the existing racks occupied or hedges adorned with the bikes.

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users