Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5613 replies to this topic

#4041 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 22 February 2019 - 03:25 PM

According to Google Maps the shortest walking route to our catchment area  high school is 6.8km.

Do distances get measured by "shortest route" or "as the crow flies"?

Either way, the distances are absurd and I fully support the kids of Victoria not having to pay to ride Public Transit. 

• jonny likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#4042 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 03:28 PM

Wow. I walked 1.5km to one of my elementary schools and it was a bugger some days. Three times that distance is huge.

But today as was the case then, there was no transit service to speak of that serviced either my route or the school.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4043 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 February 2019 - 03:50 PM

Do distances get measured by "shortest route" or "as the crow flies"?

Either way, the distances are absurd and I fully support the kids of Victoria not having to pay to ride Public Transit. 

Used to be shortest reasonable route.  Not sure what it is now.

#4044 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:08 PM

Used to be shortest reasonable route.  Not sure what it is now.

Does "shortest reasonable route" account for hopping fences and cutting through hedges?  :D

#4045 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:13 PM

I believe that's called the Ferris Bueller route.

#4046 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:39 PM

Does "shortest reasonable route" account for hopping fences and cutting through hedges?  :D

No, but I'm pretty sure it did account for public footpaths and so forth.

#4047 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:36 AM

Just as predicted, we are going to have a lot of parking downtown soon enough. Will need to change some strata rules so they can be rented out to the general public.

https://dailyhive.co...apartments-2019

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4048 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:59 AM

^Even in my own small condo building (<40 units), there are empty spaces. And this is a building, mind you, where the strata owns the spaces and rents them out to owners, but there are fewer spaces than units. So there is a waitlist, but also empty stalls that are being rented out to owners who just aren't using them.

#4049 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:04 AM

and that will happen when there is a waitlist.  the fear of losing the spot and going back on a waiting list means those who do not even need or use the spot keep them.  a smarter system than a wait-list would be an auction when each comes up.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 March 2019 - 09:04 AM.

#4050 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:30 PM

A smarter system yet would be to make sure there's at least one spot per strata unit, then when someone buys a unit they get a parking spot as well.  Then an owner who's not using his/her parking can rent it out or whatever.

#4051 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:14 AM

Most Stratasys have bylaws against renting except to residents due to security concerns.

#4052 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:18 AM

maybe the better system is to have that owner return their spot to the rental pool administered by the building. to be rented to other owners requiring 2 spots.

#4053 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:56 AM

Most stratas have bylaws against renting except to residents due to security concerns.

That's the way it works at my building and as far as I know there have never been any significant issues.

#4054 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:05 PM

That's the way it works at my building and as far as I know there have never been any significant issues.

My strata got all bent out of shape about the 'agent' of a suite owner using the owner's spot while the suite was rented out.  The agent had building and suite keys, was a trusted friend of the owner and yet 'stranger danger!!!!!!'

FFS. 

• sdwright.vic likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4055 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 03:46 AM

right. there is no actual data to suggest a stall user is more likely to let the bad guys into the parkade than any of the owners or renters living in the building.

#4056 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 03:55 PM

Well at some point there will have to be something done as the lots are more and more empty while the space for public parking evaporates. Seems like a strata could put together a security system that would keep the areas separate while also bringing in a significant income that could be spent on building maintenance. 10 vacant spots could bring in $24k a year. Seems worthwhile.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4057 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:32 AM

right. there is no actual data to suggest a stall user is more likely to let the bad guys into the parkade than any of the owners or renters living in the building.

I've seen some of our owners who complain about people driving away from the open gate themselves driving away from the open gate.  Just can't win.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#4058 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:34 AM

Can you slap a unit with a fine or remove their parking privilege?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4059 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:41 AM

We don't actually have a bylaw requiring anyone to wait until the gate closes before driving away.

#4060 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:40 AM

Hmmm. That should definitely be raised at your next opportunity.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users