Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#4061 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,968 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:43 AM

that's a little bit subjective not sure you can enforce/enact that kind of a "behaviour" rule.

#4062 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:46 AM

In my building that’s how it was done. If you were seen breaking that rule you could lose parking privileges.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4063 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:51 AM

It's a sad statement on society that common sense needs a bylaw.

• sebberry and tedward like this

#4064 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,968 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:52 AM

In my building that’s how it was done. If you were seen breaking that rule you could lose parking privileges.

also not sure that would stand up if challenged.

#4065 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 12:32 PM

also not sure that would stand up if challenged.

Why not? There are tonnes of behavioural bylaws on the books. Smoking, noise, pet ownership, etc.

#4066 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,968 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 12:34 PM

Why not? There are tonnes of behavioural bylaws on the books. Smoking, noise, pet ownership, etc.

surely you can see the differences between your examples and the timing of a closing door with respect to the distance from your car.

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#4067 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:05 PM

From what I understand, strata fines - unlike strata fees - are completely unenforceable under the Strata Act.

#4068 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,968 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:16 PM

From what I understand, strata fines - unlike strata fees - are completely unenforceable under the Strata Act.

it's just quite difficult if the owner refuses to voluntarily pay them.

https://www2.gov.bc....and-rules#fines

#4069 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:44 AM

I believe that a strata corporation is allowed to put a lien on an individual's property, so that the strata fees will have to come out of any sale eventually.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#4070 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 March 2019 - 08:07 AM

I believe that a strata corporation is allowed to put a lien on an individual's property, so that the strata fees will have to come out of any sale eventually.

For the fees, yes.  Not fines.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4071 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:36 AM

so what happens if the person receiving the fine wants to challenge it?  I am assuming it has to go to court and now several people would have to take the day off work among others to attend.  Want to bet that witness suddenly changes their story once they discover they will be out a days wages

Anyone have any experience challenging strata fines?  how does it work?  To me it would be like a cop issuing a speeding ticket, the ticket is just an allegation, now it has to be proven in a court of law

#4072 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,968 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 05:37 PM

see what happens when you let strangers into the parking garage?

Police release images of 3 suspects, getaway van in alleged Markham kidnapping

Police said Wanzhen Lu, a Chinese national and a student in Toronto, and a female friend had just gotten out of their vehicle in the parking garage when a van pulled up behind them. The van was believed to be in the garage already when Lu and his friend appeared.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...rkham-1.5069485

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 March 2019 - 05:38 PM.

#4073 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 06:57 PM

surely you can see the differences between your examples and the timing of a closing door with respect to the distance from your car.

Failing to secure the premises (which is what leaving the door before it closes is) is a major problem. Stuff gets stolen from condo parking garages all the time.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#4074 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:10 PM

Eh? Since when? Check out the actual SPA, at section 130 and on from there: http://www.bclaws.ca...atreg/98043_07 

#4075 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 07:45 PM

Failing to secure the premises (which is what leaving the door before it closes is) is a major problem. Stuff gets stolen from condo parking garages all the time.

I think the only way to prevent that is to have double doors, second one doesn't open til the first one is closed.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4076 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:57 AM

Eh? Since when? Check out the actual SPA, at section 130 and on from there: http://www.bclaws.ca...atreg/98043_07 

Oh, I have checked out the actual SPA.  You should track back to Part 6, Division 6 - Money Owing to the Corporation.  Lemme know what you think.

#4077 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:46 AM

Ok thanks. That reads to me like liens cannot be used to collect fines. The CRT or other court options should work though from what I can tell.
IANAL...

#4078 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,968 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:20 AM

https://www.timescol...ered-1.23777434

how can you have no-limit parking sundays but not other days?

isn’t that mixed messages? look at $3/hour the city should just allow repeat metering or no limit if people want to pay $24 to park at a meter all day.

#4079 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:06 AM

how can you have no-limit parking sundays but not other days?

isn’t that mixed messages? look at $3/hour the city should just allow repeat metering or no limit if people want to pay $24 to park at a meter all day.

Well the intent of time limits is to ensure turnover.  So in the downtown core on a regular week day there is a need for the turnover for people going to appointments and visit professional services.  On Sundays the majority of visitors to downtown are shopping, eating or attending some form of entertainment.  There will also simply be less visitors so the turnover doesn't really need to be pushed as much because typically there should be availability.  Am I explaining that in a way that makes sense?

Cities have two ways to induce turnover and that is with pricing and time limits.  The feeling is that the lower rate will provide enough of a turnover.  As Sunday paid parking will be introduced for the first time we can only speculate.  The feeling is starting a little lower on the scale and seeing first the affect before making further adjustments rather than apply the full restrictions and then scaling back.

#4080 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:10 AM

Well the intent of time limits is to ensure turnover.  So in the downtown core on a regular week day there is a need for the turnover for people going to appointments and visit professional services.  On Sundays the majority of visitors to downtown are shopping, eating or attending some form of entertainment.  There will also simply be less visitors so the turnover doesn't really need to be pushed as much because typically there should be availability.  Am I explaining that in a way that makes sense?

Cities have two ways to induce turnover and that is with pricing and time limits.  The feeling is that the lower rate will provide enough of a turnover.  As Sunday paid parking will be introduced for the first time we can only speculate.  The feeling is starting a little lower on the scale and seeing first the affect before making further adjustments rather than apply the full restrictions and then scaling back.

Thanks for the explanation. I am curious though how staff have determine that parking revenue on Sundays will drop from $600K to $500K (about 15%) when parking fees will be reduced from $3 to $2 (about 33%) and more on street parking will be free. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users