Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
4086 replies to this topic

#4081 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:16 AM

Well the intent of time limits is to ensure turnover.  So in the downtown core on a regular week day there is a need for the turnover for people going to appointments and visit professional services.  On Sundays the majority of visitors to downtown are shopping, eating or attending some form of entertainment.  There will also simply be less visitors so the turnover doesn't really need to be pushed as much because typically there should be availability.  Am I explaining that in a way that makes sense?

yes.

but my concern is a guy re-peat meters all day one sunday no issues. then he does it on friday and gets a ticket.  i don't mean pre-loading with 5 hours. i mean he uses two, then comes back and puts in another 3 worth of more money.  electronically or otherswise he gets no warning that on friday that's not legal.

#4082 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for the explanation. I am curious though how staff have determine that parking revenue on Sundays will drop from $600K to $500K (about 15%) when parking fees will be reduced from $3 to $2 (about 33%) and more on street parking will be free. 

Estimating revenues is always a little bit of a shell game especially with a new endeavour.  The feeling is with the lower rate and no time restrictions people would likely stay longer and pay more while downtown rather than possibly be chased away by the maximum time or the $3/hr rate. 

More parkers paying a lower rate can actually bring more revenue.  This happened in the City parkades after the improvements in 2014.  Rates were lowered, including the first hour free, and parkade revenues and use increased beyond expectations.  It's not out of the realm of possibility that the lower rate option with no time restriction actually brings in more revenue. 

#4083 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:34 AM

overall the policy seems fine.

in a perfect world every single stall might be priced slightly differently by day and time of day usage location and historical usage for maximum yield.  nobody would notice much if it only varied up and down by 25%.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 April 2019 - 08:35 AM.

#4084 spanky123

spanky123
  • 10,932 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:47 AM

Estimating revenues is always a little bit of a shell game especially with a new endeavour.  The feeling is with the lower rate and no time restrictions people would likely stay longer and pay more while downtown rather than possibly be chased away by the maximum time or the $3/hr rate. 

More parkers paying a lower rate can actually bring more revenue.  This happened in the City parkades after the improvements in 2014.  Rates were lowered, including the first hour free, and parkade revenues and use increased beyond expectations.  It's not out of the realm of possibility that the lower rate option with no time restriction actually brings in more revenue. 

True but didn't on street parking rates increase in 2014? I can see parkade utilization increasing if alternative options are made more expensive. In this case we are proposing a blanket decrease in rates which would then rely on overall paid parking utilization increase of at least 25% to hit your forecasts. 

Edited by spanky123, 02 April 2019 - 08:47 AM.

#4085 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:40 AM

yes.

but my concern is a guy re-peat meters all day one sunday no issues. then he does it on friday and gets a ticket.  i don't mean pre-loading with 5 hours. i mean he uses two, then comes back and puts in another 3 worth of more money.  electronically or otherswise he gets no warning that on friday that's not legal.

Well the messaging has a maximum time on the equipment.

#4086 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:44 AM

True but didn't on street parking rates increase in 2014? I can see parkade utilization increasing if alternative options are made more expensive. In this case we are proposing a blanket decrease in rates which would then rely on overall paid parking utilization increase of at least 25% to hit your forecasts. 

On-street prices only raised in the core, so about 800 space went to $3.  About 600 spaces actually were reduced to below the then current rate of $2.50.  Yes there are many factors for many things :)

Edited by Ismo07, 02 April 2019 - 11:46 AM.

#4087 aastra

aastra
  • 14,147 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 09:57 AM

Re: the CTV story, "Victoria cancels almost 40,000 parking tickets", my calculator suggests that would average out to about 100 cancelled parking tickets per day for 2018.

Victoria cancelled nearly 40,000 parking tickets last year because drivers were either just returning to their vehicles, were tourists or as a simple courtesy.

That’s according to the city’s annual parking services update which shows a total of 39,011 tickets scrapped in 2018.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users