Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#4081 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,860 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:16 AM

Well the intent of time limits is to ensure turnover.  So in the downtown core on a regular week day there is a need for the turnover for people going to appointments and visit professional services.  On Sundays the majority of visitors to downtown are shopping, eating or attending some form of entertainment.  There will also simply be less visitors so the turnover doesn't really need to be pushed as much because typically there should be availability.  Am I explaining that in a way that makes sense?

yes.

but my concern is a guy re-peat meters all day one sunday no issues. then he does it on friday and gets a ticket.  i don't mean pre-loading with 5 hours. i mean he uses two, then comes back and puts in another 3 worth of more money.  electronically or otherswise he gets no warning that on friday that's not legal.

#4082 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for the explanation. I am curious though how staff have determine that parking revenue on Sundays will drop from $600K to $500K (about 15%) when parking fees will be reduced from $3 to $2 (about 33%) and more on street parking will be free. 

Estimating revenues is always a little bit of a shell game especially with a new endeavour.  The feeling is with the lower rate and no time restrictions people would likely stay longer and pay more while downtown rather than possibly be chased away by the maximum time or the $3/hr rate. 

More parkers paying a lower rate can actually bring more revenue.  This happened in the City parkades after the improvements in 2014.  Rates were lowered, including the first hour free, and parkade revenues and use increased beyond expectations.  It's not out of the realm of possibility that the lower rate option with no time restriction actually brings in more revenue. 

#4083 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:34 AM

overall the policy seems fine.

in a perfect world every single stall might be priced slightly differently by day and time of day usage location and historical usage for maximum yield.  nobody would notice much if it only varied up and down by 25%.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 April 2019 - 08:35 AM.

#4084 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:47 AM

Estimating revenues is always a little bit of a shell game especially with a new endeavour.  The feeling is with the lower rate and no time restrictions people would likely stay longer and pay more while downtown rather than possibly be chased away by the maximum time or the $3/hr rate. 

More parkers paying a lower rate can actually bring more revenue.  This happened in the City parkades after the improvements in 2014.  Rates were lowered, including the first hour free, and parkade revenues and use increased beyond expectations.  It's not out of the realm of possibility that the lower rate option with no time restriction actually brings in more revenue. 

True but didn't on street parking rates increase in 2014? I can see parkade utilization increasing if alternative options are made more expensive. In this case we are proposing a blanket decrease in rates which would then rely on overall paid parking utilization increase of at least 25% to hit your forecasts. 

Edited by spanky123, 02 April 2019 - 08:47 AM.

#4085 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:40 AM

yes.

but my concern is a guy re-peat meters all day one sunday no issues. then he does it on friday and gets a ticket.  i don't mean pre-loading with 5 hours. i mean he uses two, then comes back and puts in another 3 worth of more money.  electronically or otherswise he gets no warning that on friday that's not legal.

Well the messaging has a maximum time on the equipment.

#4086 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:44 AM

True but didn't on street parking rates increase in 2014? I can see parkade utilization increasing if alternative options are made more expensive. In this case we are proposing a blanket decrease in rates which would then rely on overall paid parking utilization increase of at least 25% to hit your forecasts. 

On-street prices only increased in the core, so about 800 space went to $3.  About 600 spaces actually were reduced to below the then current rate of $2.50.  Yes there are many factors for many things :)

Edited by Ismo07, 11 June 2019 - 01:46 PM.

#4087 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 09:57 AM

Re: the CTV story, "Victoria cancels almost 40,000 parking tickets", my calculator suggests that would average out to about 100 cancelled parking tickets per day for 2018.

Victoria cancelled nearly 40,000 parking tickets last year because drivers were either just returning to their vehicles, were tourists or as a simple courtesy.

That’s according to the city’s annual parking services update which shows a total of 39,011 tickets scrapped in 2018.

#4088 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:16 AM

A recent American federal court ruling that could inspire changes here:

A federal appeals court ruled Monday that "chalking" is a violation of the Fourth Amendment.

[...]

[Enforcement Officer] Hoskins, Taylor alleged in her lawsuit, was a "prolific" chalker. Every single one of Taylor's 15 tickets was issued by Hoskins after she marked a tire with chalk, and then circled back to see if Taylor's car had moved. That chalking, Taylor argued, was unconstitutional.

"Trespassing upon a privately-owned vehicle parked on a public street to place a chalk mark to begin gathering information to ultimately impose a government sanction is unconstitutional under the Fourth Amendment," Taylor's lawyer, Philip Ellison, wrote in a court filing.

https://www.npr.org/...nstitution?utm_

#4089 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:22 AM

^ The suggested alternative is photo/video surveillance of parking spots, FWIW

#4090 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:28 AM

^Ah yes, the classic Robbins trick of having a guy walk around Harris Green Village recording every car every two hours. Love that guy!

#4091 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:32 AM

^ The suggested alternative is photo/video surveillance of parking spots, FWIW

Digital Valve Stem mapping: https://gtechna.com/...ng-enforcement/

"I'm not touching your car, I'm not touching your car..."   "Mom!"

#4092 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:25 PM

The Victoria transit commission is looking into the possibility of introducing free transit for youth in 2020, region-wide.

So this begs the question. If Sunday parking revenues were earmarked for the City of Victoria to pay for youth transit passes for City of Victoria youth, will Sunday parking become free again if transit introduces a region-wide youth program?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4093 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:27 PM

So who is going to pay for the "free" transit for youth?

#4094 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:28 PM

Property taxes, most likely.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4095 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:30 PM

I can't wait to turn 65 and defer property taxes 'til I die.

• Love the rock likes this

#4096 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:30 PM

From a marketing perspective it never makes sense to flip flop on a policy as it just causes confusion.

Better to redirect the revenue to another place. Perhaps free bus rides to anyone who self-identifies as un-priveleged?

#4097 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:52 PM

It’s only been a couple of weeks. Hardly enough time for Ismo’s department to even order their gold leaf emblazoned letterheads.

Know it all.

#4098 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:09 PM

is there an early revenue figure from sunday pay parking yet?

#4099 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:21 PM

https://vancouverisl...ok&_gsc=0wj83rW

"The city has allocated $850,000 to pay for the estimated 6,000 free passes"

so is the city saying they have made $850,000 from sunday parking revenues to pay for this because i remember reading that it wasn't going to paid for by my city taxes...

and this would be just for kids living within the boundaries of Victoria proper, so there will be some schools out there where half the kids would get passes but the other half don't (lansdowne middle school for example it sits right on the boarder between victoria and saanich  and it's catchment straddles for both Victoria and Saanich)

• Nparker likes this

#4100 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:29 PM

And can we please stop calling them "free" passes? They are passes subsidized by revenue other than the fare box on the bus. They are most definitely not free.

• sdwright.vic, Love the rock, mbjj and 1 other like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users