Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#4121 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:47 PM

...Sounds like all the parkades were pretty jammed for most of the day.

You mean everyone didn't bus or bike to Deuce Days?

#4122 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:49 PM

You mean everyone didn't bus or bike to Deuce Days?

I think many did that as well.  People would've had to.  Heard the 9am ferry coming over here on Saturday sold out of walk-ons.  I haven't heard that happening before.

#4123 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 July 2019 - 04:44 PM

Hey Ismo, here's a question - 

It used to be with conventional meters you could see how much time was left for a space.  A parking space would be 'rented' for an hour, and someone would leave 35 minutes into their hour.  By the time the next guy pulled up, there'd be 20+ minutes left.  Perfect, only going to be 10 minutes, not going to bother paying now.

Is there an estimate to how much increased parking revenue comes from not knowing how much time was left on a space with the new meter system?  I bet only a small fraction of total metered parking transactions are done through the app with people 'checking out' of a space when finished with it.  

And my wish - CarPlay and Android Auto connected parking information 'Hey Siri/Google, how many empty spaces are there in the View Street Parkade?' or 'Hey Siri/Google, where should I park?'.    I know there was talk of having some sort of system for knowing where the spaces are available, but unless it's entirely hands-free, it's pretty much useless.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4124 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:02 PM

^I use the parking application, not the kiosks. Thus when I am done parking I get refunded for what's not used.
  • shoeflack likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4125 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:42 PM

Yup, me too. What’s the ratio of app users to kiosk users nowadays, Ismo?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4126 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:12 PM

Sorry the Johnson parkade ended up being full by people arriving early, it was a such a busy day.  Sounds like all the parkades were pretty jammed for most of the day.

I went to the Bay parking lot and there was lots of empty spaces.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4127 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:14 PM

That's only $141.67 per pass... that's a hell of a discount they're getting.

How much is a monthly transit pass?

My credit card got dinged for nearly $200 twice for Toronto transit passes.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4128 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:49 PM

How much is a monthly transit pass?

My credit card got dinged for nearly $200 twice for Toronto transit passes.

$85 https://www.bctransi.../victoria/fares

#4129 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:11 AM

Wasn't meant to be nasty.  Sundays have now become close to a regular shopping day with around 85% retail shops open.   Those passenger zones (I think about 60 now) allow for short-term stops to pick up/drop off something, someone, act as loading zones for commercial deliveries (we are seeing more and more), food delivery services and in the near future spots for potential ride hailing services.

The intent is to provide these short-term respite spots for many others rather than being taken up by downtown employees and residents for the entire day, who would have a shot at parking either the evening before or early in the morning.

Sorry the Johnson parkade ended up being full by people arriving early, it was a such a busy day.  Sounds like all the parkades were pretty jammed for most of the day.

Someone didn't tell BC Transit, who still have Sundays as their by-far-lowest-service day meaning it's often far less efficient for downtown workers to get to-from work by bus on Sundays.

The conversion of loading zones also affects on-street parking availability in the evenings.

Thanks for the apology - appreciated!

While you're here, a few questions:

What's the rationale for closing off the top floor of the Johnson St parkade (a public facility) for what appears to be private use?

A bunch of parking stalls on the lowest floor of the Johnson parkade are reserved 24-hours but - at least on Sundays - very few are ever in use.  Any chance of opening some of these up for general use?

What's the status of street parking on holidays - same as Sundays, or free?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

• SimonH likes this

#4130 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:48 AM

Hey Ismo, here's a question - 

It used to be with conventional meters you could see how much time was left for a space.  A parking space would be 'rented' for an hour, and someone would leave 35 minutes into their hour.  By the time the next guy pulled up, there'd be 20+ minutes left.  Perfect, only going to be 10 minutes, not going to bother paying now.

Is there an estimate to how much increased parking revenue comes from not knowing how much time was left on a space with the new meter system?  I bet only a small fraction of total metered parking transactions are done through the app with people 'checking out' of a space when finished with it.  

And my wish - CarPlay and Android Auto connected parking information 'Hey Siri/Google, how many empty spaces are there in the View Street Parkade?' or 'Hey Siri/Google, where should I park?'.    I know there was talk of having some sort of system for knowing where the spaces are available, but unless it's entirely hands-free, it's pretty much useless.

I do not have an estimate for that these day Seb.  Back in the day however yes there would be over lap for sure but it really wasn't as much as people were saying.  Coin transactions are typically lower as are many credit card transactions, This is why we issue (still ) around 200 tickets a day.

The app use is up over 35% per weekday and if you add parking card use we are seeing around 40% of people paying for the time they use and not guessing how long they are staying, so not leaving money behind.

As for the query about spaces in facilities (and even certain blocks), it is something that we will want to provide at some point but I have some concerns about the counters and issues with specialty spots (accessible, modo, EV and motorcycle) in each parkade and how those are counted.

Parkades still offer enough turnover for the most part it is still better to wait in line to get in as vehicles are leaving at a pretty good clip rather than drive around searching.

• sebberry likes this

#4131 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:19 AM

Driving through UK and France etc we would see electronic signs posted on the main roads entering the core areas showing # of available spaces at each parkade. ie Johnson St Bridge, Douglas at Bay, Blanshard at Bay and Yates/Pandora at Cook. 

signage.png?fbclid=IwAR3m6iaZqlya6R3OO6l

And then when we entered the parkade it would show availability of each floor....very civilized and reduced the guesswork

space_available_milwaukee_garage.jpg

• Nparker and Love the rock like this

#4132 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:29 AM

Oh yeah, that's pretty good.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4133 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:42 PM

And when you drove through the parkades were there red and green lights indicating occupied and free spots as you looked into the distance?  (Australia, 2011).

#4134 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:21 PM

Yeah, but we invented the word "Parkade" so the rest of the world can suck it.

• Nparker likes this

#4135 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:25 PM

I want to know what's going on that makes Level 3 so popular, at what seems to be the expense of Level 4!

• Rob Randall and rjag like this

#4136 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:33 PM

I want to know what's going on that makes Level 3 so popular, at what seems to be the expense of Level 4!

Probably the skywalk floor.

#4137 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:54 PM

Deborah in Accounting in the building across the way.

• Mike K., Nparker, rjag and 2 others like this

#4138 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 July 2019 - 03:38 PM

And when you drove through the parkades were there red and green lights indicating occupied and free spots as you looked into the distance?  (Australia, 2011).

In some parkades yes, there were easy to see green lights indicating open spots. My first time seeing those was in the massive parkade at University of Calgary...definitely kept the flow of traffic moving

#4139 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 04:18 PM

Yup. Those lights are fantastic.

Know it all.

#4140 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,794 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 04:44 PM

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users