Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#4241 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:53 AM

You mean the way thousands of commuters get to work from the westshore and Saanich Peninsula everyday?

It's hard enough parking a car in town, try a camper!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4242 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 February 2020 - 10:00 AM

surprise surprise. sunshine has no job.

He said he is an eight-year army veteran dealing with post-traumatic stress disorder and living on a government pension. But he knows many who have jobs.

He said the van life is driven by the lack of affordable housing in Victoria. Forcing van dwellers into campsites outside the city would demand a daily drive back and forth for those who work. And campsites charge fees.

https://www.timescol...pers-1.24066698

We keep talking about how much we need more prevention.  Stop the youth from ending up in homeless shelters. Stop the youth from ending up on the streets with a needle in their arm.  

I knew something was up when I saw the Veteran plates on his van.  This is a perfect example of where prevention needs to be exercised.  He's served his country, got the mental scars to prove it, let's get him into some properly supportive housing, therapy, re-training and let him learn how to be a functioning member of society again.  It'll do him some good and society some good.  

Or we can wait until he totally falls apart and becomes another junkie dancing in an intersection.  

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#4243 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:24 AM

full marks to the converted/stealth cube van guy.  that's a cool ride.  

also.  get a job.  you freeloader.

200129-VNE-Dallas-Campers-_4.jpg

Helped pimp out a crappy cube van with a full sound system high-end equipment with probably more power then the SOF centre you could hear it across at least all of downtown. I thought it was a bad idea.

#4244 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:12 PM

full marks to the converted/stealth cube van guy.  that's a cool ride.  

also.  get a job.  you freeloader.

200129-VNE-Dallas-Campers-_4.jpg

I agree with you on many things.  Crapping on our veterans isn't one of them. 

#4245 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:30 PM

O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all of us command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise, The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free! O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

https://www.canada.c...al_anthem_e.pdf

#4246 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:34 PM

I agree with you on many things.  Crapping on our veterans isn't one of them. 

i don't think disabilities should keep anyone back.  he's got ptsd?  so what.  he has a van and a drivers license.  hard to believe he can't find some type of work.  that ptsd and veteran status does not give you a right to free camping on our streets.  live like the rest of us.  ask for help if you want.  don't just tread on us.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 February 2020 - 12:37 PM.

#4247 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:50 PM

i don't think disabilities should keep anyone back.  he's got ptsd?  so what.  he has a van and a drivers license.  hard to believe he can't find some type of work.  that ptsd and veteran status does not give you a right to free camping on our streets.  live like the rest of us.  ask for help if you want.  don't just tread on us.

Why can’t you just not like to work and live in a van? Because the queen doesn’t want that? Society is just make-believe?

#4248 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:57 PM

you can live in a van if you like.  but find some private property to park it on.  

• Nparker likes this

#4249 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:59 PM

you can live in a van if you like.  but find some private property to park it on.

But land property is an artificial concept?

#4250 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 February 2020 - 01:22 PM

Spoken like someone without a disability!  

• Brantastic likes this

#4251 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 01:26 PM

But land property is an artificial concept?

Sounds like someone's eying up that vacant council seat. :)
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#4252 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 01:30 PM

Spoken like someone without a disability!  

spoken like someone that believes that everyone regardless of disability can contribute to good society.  i truly believe that everyone has something to offer.  

i simply know this very young man has skills and a way to contribute.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 February 2020 - 01:31 PM.

#4253 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 February 2020 - 01:32 PM

spoken like someone that believes that everyone regardless of disability can contribute to good society.

i simply know this very young man has skills and a way to contribute.

I'm sure he does.  But what we don't know is how his PTSD impacts his ability to put those skills to use in a way in which he can enjoy stable employment.  

#4254 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 01:44 PM

I'm sure he does.  But what we don't know is how his PTSD impacts his ability to put those skills to use in a way in which he can enjoy stable employment.  

stable employment can take many different forms.  like i say i know this guy can have it.

#4255 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 01:55 PM

Sounds like someone's eying up that vacant council seat. :)

Too slimy for an octopus
  • rmpeers likes this

#4256 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:14 AM

Dallas Road parking rules are nothing new

https://www.timescol...nger-1.24067858

I had implemented signage along Dallas Road in 2009, when I was a parks employee, saying, “Three and a half hour parking only,” as the parks bylaw states.

It was enforced with the parks officials, bylaw enforcement officers or police on a daily basis. The signs were removed for the construction of the new sewage pipe.

For the city to say this is a new approach is false.

Raj Sundher
Victoria

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 February 2020 - 09:14 AM.

#4257 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:25 AM

Dallas Road parking rules are nothing new

https://www.timescol...nger-1.24067858

I had implemented signage along Dallas Road in 2009, when I was a parks employee, saying, “Three and a half hour parking only,” as the parks bylaw states.

It was enforced with the parks officials, bylaw enforcement officers or police on a daily basis. The signs were removed for the construction of the new sewage pipe.

For the city to say this is a new approach is false.

Raj Sundher
Victoria

Not all of the parking areas had those signs, based on Google Street View. The lot at Finlayson Point had signage indicating the maximum time, but the other angled parking lots along Dallas Road simply noted that overnight parking was not permitted. So, everyone can be a little correct this time!

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4258 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:39 AM

I saw a photo of Clover Point with quite a few vans parked there in daylight. If I want to drive down there to look at the view, is there room for me? I'm listening to this van guy on the radio. He said many "want a better climate and a better view". Gosh, I'd like a seaview too. I see a dumpster when I look out my window.

• Love the rock likes this

#4259 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 04:50 AM

(helps) said afterward that she believes the discussion was helpful, even if produced no permanent solution. That, she said, would require something be done about the lack of affordable housing across Canada.

Van dwellers said their chosen way of living harms nobody, and many of them expressed insult when some speakers characterized them as poor or homeless.

“Living in a van doesn’t mean you are homeless,” said Amanda Mackenzie, 26. “It just means you want to live a minimal lifestyle.”

Mackenzie said she works 50 hours a week in a restaurant and is about to start classes at Camosun College. Living in a van is her choice at the moment.

“There just needs to be a bit more acceptance,” she said.

Van dweller Tyler Kleppe, who has been on Vancouver Island since early September, said he can sympathize with homeowners.

But Kleppe takes exception to the notion people should be prohibited from sleeping in a vehicle parked on a street.

“I totally understand homeowners’ perspective that it shouldn’t be a permanent camping place,” he said. “But I don’t think it should be illegal to sleep in your vehicle, just maybe where.”

https://www.timescol...vans-1.24068895

amanda the solution to your current lifestyle choice issue is not more "acceptance" from us.  it's more "adherence" to the laws from you.  if the law does not suit you then fight the law through the usual means to have it changed or overturned.  for that you'll need a broad consensus on the changes - from others.  if you can't achieve that it's just not the will of the public.

i calculate your wage at $3116 per month even if you make minimum wage and receive no tips in your restaurant job.  get an apartment or park on private property or camp at goldstream for $13/night.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 February 2020 - 04:58 AM.

#4260 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 07:05 AM

On CFAX this morning the Mayor blamed City staff for allowing parking on Dallas Rd claiming that the parking bylaw was enforced at their discretion. 

• rjag likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users