Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#4281 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:30 AM

The City of Vancouver has suspended pay parking at meters, and has also said it will ignored time restrictions on those free spaces (i.e. 1 hour/2 hour spots).

Will Victoria follow suit? It seems like enforcement is wayyyyy down anyways, as I've been noticing most 2-hour free parking spaces in my neighbourhood have had cars parked all day without receiving a ticket.

#4282 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:41 AM

The City of Vancouver has suspended pay parking at meters, and has also said it will ignored time restrictions on those free spaces (i.e. 1 hour/2 hour spots).

Will Victoria follow suit? It seems like enforcement is wayyyyy down anyways, as I've been noticing most 2-hour free parking spaces in my neighbourhood have had cars parked all day without receiving a ticket.

I expect the Victoria cycling coalition will be having kittens about that!

:muching_out:

• Nparker likes this

#4283 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:13 AM

Enforcing parking regulations is not an essential service especially since there is so little demand for parking spots.   All the parking people would be a good set for the city of Victoria to layoff this week to save some money

#4284 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:30 AM

Enforcing parking regulations is not an essential service especially since there is so little demand for parking spots.   All the parking people would be a good set for the city of Victoria to layoff this week to save some money

It's true, but doesn't the revenue for the service more than cover their wages and reduce property taxes?  Are there complaints about commercial loading zones being taken up hindering essential deliveries?  Do other services become free etc.?  Asking for a friend...  Don't get me wrong just some questions to consider.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4285 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:30 AM

For the businesses that still are operating that would be a death blow.

This is the wrong move by Vancouver. Street parking remains important for those that need to access the services that are available and not have to walk several blocks to do so. The ambassadors are also a visible presence in the downtown core of officialdom still taking care of business.

Quite honestly what I saw downtown yesterday was extremely troubling. Very few pedestrians, zero visible police presence, boarded up windows, and characters loitering about giving you the stink eye. We need to ensure downtown remains a safe place visually.

Don’t forget that police are not currently dealing with the impact of a downtown core that balloons every workday and attracts a large night life element in the evenings. And yet they remain so preoccupied that there is zero visible element on major streets. That’s not good.
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4286 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:39 AM

It's true, but doesn't the revenue for the service more than cover their wages and reduce property taxes?  Are there complaints about commercial loading zones being taken up hindering essential deliveries?  Do other services become free etc.?  Asking for a friend...  Don't get me wrong just some questions to consider.

Normally the service does bring in more than it costs to administer, but that is based on the street parking being full and a lot of people overstaying.  The policy reason the City of Victoria has pay parking meters is to get turn over in the parking spaces, it is not intended to make money and only break even

• shoeflack likes this

#4287 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:55 AM

For the businesses that still are operating that would be a death blow.

This is the wrong move by Vancouver. Street parking remains important for those that need to access the services that are available and not have to walk several blocks to do so. The ambassadors are also a visible presence in the downtown core of officialdom still taking care of business.

Quite honestly what I saw downtown yesterday was extremely troubling. Very few pedestrians, zero visible police presence, boarded up windows, and characters loitering about giving you the stink eye. We need to ensure downtown remains a safe place visually.

Don’t forget that police are not currently dealing with the impact of a downtown core that balloons every workday and attracts a large night life element in the evenings. And yet they remain so preoccupied that there is zero visible element on major streets. That’s not good.

I think you're misunderstanding, or maybe I just was unclear. The City of Vancouver is suspending enforcement. So those meter spaces downtown are now free, and those spaces with time limits now have no time limits. They aren't saying you can no longer park in those spaces, but rather are removing a barrier to use them.

#4288 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:04 PM

Normally the service does bring in more than it costs to administer, but that is based on the street parking being full and a lot of people overstaying.  The policy reason the City of Victoria has pay parking meters is to get turn over in the parking spaces, it is not intended to make money and only break even

Are you suggesting that even now it isn't breaking even just as a straight expense for the staff? Intention or not that revenue reduces taxes, about 8% I believe.  Just your statement that the City would save money by taking them off the street might not be correct.  Mike hit it on the head, Parking Ambassadors do much more than enforce metered parking regulations so you might not appreciate the value in that.  Straight up however, however small revenues might be at this time, the loss will be greater with them home.  My argument isn't whether essential or not but more to your reasoning just didn't make sense to me.

#4289 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:07 PM

I think you're misunderstanding, or maybe I just was unclear. The City of Vancouver is suspending enforcement. So those meter spaces downtown are now free, and those spaces with time limits now have no time limits. They aren't saying you can no longer park in those spaces, but rather are removing a barrier to use them.

Yes, and my concern is that businesses reliant on parking turnover will be faced with another impediment.

Yesterday on Yates the only available stall was right at the foot of the 700-block, which I used. I had not been able to find a spot along the entirety of the block.

Ismo will be happy to know I still paid the meter :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4290 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:09 PM

Making parking free will move vehicles from parkades to the street outside your office or apartment. The businesses below, meanwhile, won’t have turnover.

Anyways, seeing the ambassadors on the streets is a welcome reminder of normalcy. Never thought I’d actually be saying that, lol.
  • Ismo07 likes this

Know it all.

#4291 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,928 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:13 PM

i like the ambassadors still on streets.  i like street turnover.  free parkades would be good enough.

• Mike K. likes this

#4292 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:24 PM

Yes, and my concern is that businesses reliant on parking turnover will be faced with another impediment.

Yesterday on Yates the only available stall was right at the foot of the 700-block, which I used. I had not been able to find a spot along the entirety of the block.

Ismo will be happy to know I still paid the meter :)

Yes the 700 and 800 blocks of Yates are quite difficult to find parking at the moment.  Most other streets have many spaces available.  We will find out about parkades on Thursday.

• Mike K. likes this

#4293 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:25 PM

I think parkades could be free for this time but street parking needs to be remain pay parking to encourage turnover.

• Mike K. likes this

#4294 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:34 PM

...seeing the ambassadors on the streets is a welcome reminder of normalcy. Never thought I’d actually be saying that, lol.

:thumbsup:

• Mike K. and rmpeers like this

#4295 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:55 PM

I’m just glad the COV has a pay parking app.

#4296 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 08:11 PM

I was downtown today and all the meters said you had to pay on Sunday and I did see someone getting a ticket?

I went into the Courtenay St. parkade where the first hour was free. When I was exiting I was in the process of putting my ticket in the machine, guy in the booth says "drive on' so we didn't bother with the machine.

So is it free parking in the parkades on Sunday? That's not what the sign says.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4297 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 08:28 PM

Free parking in the parkades all day on Sundays. It’s on-street parking that became paid.

#4298 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:32 PM

But the sign in the parkade said the first hour is free - that's not the case, it's free as long as you want?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4299 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,928 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:46 PM

But the sign in the parkade said the first hour is free - that's not the case, it's free as long as you want?

on sundays yes.  first hour free all other days.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 May 2020 - 07:46 PM.

#4300 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,928 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 01:22 PM

as we roll into another month i wonder if many people have given up - at least temporarily - their monthly parking passes.

robbins shows parking available at 777 fisgard for $235/mo.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 May 2020 - 01:25 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)