Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#4321 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 07:30 AM

I know we’ve heard that parking revenues are rising in the CoV, which is a good sign. But I can’t help but think that the increase is stemming from workers who’ve given up on public transit as an option and are driving in rather than riding in.

The downtown core needs to start adding parking capacity if it hopes to draw larger numbers of people down, because public transit is no longer reliable and for better or worse viewed as the lowest rung on the ladder for transport given the exposure to groups in confined spaces for long periods.

Ismo, is there a plan afoot to that you’re aware of to even temporarily open up lots on private or public lands in/near downtown? Dockside Green could easily accommodate 250 vehicles, as could Bayview. But I don’t know if they’d want that hassle?
  • Nparker and On the Level like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4322 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,939 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:13 AM

as if.

buses might be fine again in 2021.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 May 2020 - 08:13 AM.

#4323 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,716 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:54 AM

...buses might be fine again in 2021.

While buses might return to what they were pre-plague by next year, they will never be "fine".

#4324 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 04:53 PM

the current city council would happily abolish parking in the downtown core if they could... if it wasn't for the need for the revenue.. heck they have been trying to years slowly cutting back on parking stalls here and there,posting stories of places that have gone car free (or highly limited vehicle movement), repeatedly saying we don't need a new parkade downtown even though all parkades are full (pre-covid)

#4325 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:58 AM

I know we’ve heard that parking revenues are rising in the CoV, which is a good sign. But I can’t help but think that the increase is stemming from workers who’ve given up on public transit as an option and are driving in rather than riding in.

The downtown core needs to start adding parking capacity if it hopes to draw larger numbers of people down, because public transit is no longer reliable and for better or worse viewed as the lowest rung on the ladder for transport given the exposure to groups in confined spaces for long periods.

Ismo, is there a plan afoot to that you’re aware of to even temporarily open up lots on private or public lands in/near downtown? Dockside Green could easily accommodate 250 vehicles, as could Bayview. But I don’t know if they’d want that hassle?

There is a little bit of everything going on.  New drivers that would typically take the bus have certainly increased and enjoying reduced rates as there is capacity but also limited time zones are allowing for all day parking as they are not being enforced for the time being.  As you've mentioned before however there are a number of people working from home as well so it's hard to say.  It will take a few more weeks I think to get a better idea about what plans going forward.  Right now there is plenty of capacity on current parking lots.  Transit is back to charging for that service I believe so we will have to when people get comfortable with that service.  Summer is also upon us and people will still be taking holidays etc.  I think initially there is more interest in making sure short-term parkers are able to find spaces in the downtown core as parking transactions ramp up.

• Mike K. likes this

#4326 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 07:15 AM

Mrs. Mike K’s sister has had her vehicle broken into twice in the last week at the Yates Parkade, and the third time overall.

She’s devastated. She’s one of the workers in the core trying to bring normalcy back into our lives and as gratitude for her work, she’s been victimized. Anecdotally she said the “security” guards at the parkade were not patrolling the premises but were in a kiosk talking. I don’t know what to tell her, other than what everyone already knows is the only solution to what officialdom seems to be turning a blind eye to.

Is it really that hard to manage people entering a facility like that? The parkade has three access areas. Does it need to? They’re not monitored by a constant presence, but it’s looking like that’s what we need to consider now as the problem is getting out of hand.
  • todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4327 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:07 AM

It’s a great idea but with the coronavirus funnelling everyone through one spot? Maybe close the side with the musical railing? It’s a balancing act between viruses.

Edited by todd, 12 June 2020 - 08:22 AM.

#4328 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:26 AM

Too bad if you want to visit Patisserie Daniel on Cook. All parking along there has been usurped for people to walk in the road. We saw not a single person walking in the road. Meanwhile nowhere to park, I think the bollarded stretch extended into the next block by the WIN store.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#4329 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,716 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:33 AM

On almost any given day and in most places in the CoV, there is sufficient space on existing sidewalks to accommodate social distancing by pedestrians. Removing parking to "widen" sidewalks is politically motivated, not health-related.

• mbjj, A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#4330 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:34 AM

Hey Mike, your Mrs. will be happy to know the parkade day rates go up to $9/day starting Monday (Johnson/Broughton/View excluded).

Edited by GetLisaSomeHelps, 12 June 2020 - 08:53 AM.

• Mike K., Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#4331 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,716 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:39 AM

...the parkade day rates go up to $9/day starting Monday...

This will definitely encourage more people from the region to come downtown. Well done CoV!

#4332 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:39 AM

Hey Mike, your Mrs. will be happy to know the parkade day rates go up to $9/day starting Monday (Johnson excluded).

Broughton (under the Library) and View also excluded.

• GetLisaSomeHelps likes this

#4333 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:42 AM

Hey Mike, your Mrs. will be happy to know the parkade day rates go up to $9/day starting Monday (Johnson excluded).

She should at least be entitled to a free month (with police report).
  • Mike K. likes this

#4334 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:45 AM

This will definitely encourage more people from the region to come downtown. Well done CoV!

Well those parkades (Yates and Centennial) are filling, so the intent is to shift where some people park.  Same thing with the 90 minute zones.

#4335 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:50 AM

Mrs. Mike K’s sister has had her vehicle broken into twice in the last week at the Yates Parkade, and the third time overall.
She’s devastated. She’s one of the workers in the core trying to bring normalcy back into our lives and as gratitude for her work, she’s been victimized. Anecdotally she said the “security” guards at the parkade were not patrolling the premises but were in a kiosk talking. I don’t know what to tell her, other than what everyone already knows is the only solution to what officialdom seems to be turning a blind eye to.
Is it really that hard to manage people entering a facility like that? The parkade has three access areas. Does it need to? They’re not monitored by a constant presence, but it’s looking like that’s what we need to consider now as the problem is getting out of hand.

One time demagnetized on a large magnet by accident my parking card no one in the booth the line must have curled up to the top before somebody came down

#4336 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,716 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:51 AM

This is anecdotal, but most of my colleagues are currently working from home. Convenient and affordable parking is one of the strongest factors in getting them to occasionally come into the office. If rates are raised and/or people are forced to walk farther to/from their parking spaces, I can almost guarantee they will choose to work from home more often.

• lanforod likes this

#4337 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:52 AM

Broughton (under the Library) and View also excluded.

oh, thanks for the update - the notice I saw said only Johnson was excluded :)

#4338 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:54 AM

oh, thanks for the update - the notice I saw said only Johnson was excluded :)

Yes that was at Centennial where we are steering people to Johnson as it's closer.

#4339 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:55 AM

This is anecdotal, but most of my colleagues are currently working from home. Convenient and affordable parking is one of the strongest factors in getting them to occasionally come into the office. If rates are raised and/or people are forced to walk farther to/from their parking spaces, I can almost guarantee they will choose to work from home more often.

Yes and we have reduced rates.  But like anything when parkades or street fill and there are no spaces we have to create turnover.  Sure people would like lower rates for parking but even more so they want to be able to actually park.  Rates will be kept low until capacity becomes and issue.  The increase isn't a random adjustment.

• Mike K., m3m, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#4340 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,716 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 09:02 AM

All I am saying is that the strategies that worked in the past to create "turnover" in parking make not work the same way going forward.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users