Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#4561 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 October 2020 - 12:21 AM

The booth staff are also handy when (not if) the machines break down, which was a regular occurrence at the Johnson St parkade pre-covid.

#4562 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:52 AM

Parkade rates have gone up again https://www.victoria...ts/parking.html

Big jump for Broughton street from $5 a day to $14.50

Below is a summary of the parking structure as of October 20, 2020:

On-street parking

• Regular rates apply

Time limited zones

• The City has resumed enforcement in time limited zones

Parkades and off-street lots

View, Centennial Square, Yates and Broughton St (under the Library) Parkades

Reinstate regular hourly rates

• 1st hour free
  • 2nd and 3rd hour $2
  • 4th hour and beyond $3
  • reduced daily maximum of $14.50

Johnson St Parkade

• $1/hr with a daily maximum of $9.00

Effective October 26, 2020 at Johnson St Parkade

• No first hour free
  • $2/hr with a daily maximum of $12.00

#4563 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:59 AM

Parkade rates have gone up again https://www.victoria...ts/parking.html

Big jump for Broughton street from $5 a day to $14.50

Below is a summary of the parking structure as of October 20, 2020:

On-street parking

• Regular rates apply

Time limited zones

• The City has resumed enforcement in time limited zones

Parkades and off-street lots

View, Centennial Square, Yates and Broughton St (under the Library) Parkades

Reinstate regular hourly rates

• 1st hour free
  • 2nd and 3rd hour $2
  • 4th hour and beyond $3
  • reduced daily maximum of $14.50

Johnson St Parkade

• $1/hr with a daily maximum of $9.00

Effective October 26, 2020 at Johnson St Parkade

• No first hour free
  • $2/hr with a daily maximum of $12.00

Broughton was filling up at 9:30am everyday so it was time to get back to almost regular rates.

#4564 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 11:06 AM

Yup, that makes sense.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4565 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 12:53 PM

And as I have said before - no, Victoria is not enforcing parking in time limited zones. At the moment, I am looking at a car that has been parked in a one hour zone since 7 am. 

#4566 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:31 PM

And as I have said before - no, Victoria is not enforcing parking in time limited zones. At the moment, I am looking at a car that has been parked in a one hour zone since 7 am. 

Yes the City is.  Little bit short of a full staff out there on scooters these days so there is a rotation, mostly in business areas.  Can't get to every street every day so there might be times where a car is there for the day and we don't touch down on it, the focus has been on streets that will need the help ensuring turnover.  I don't here often, at least in terms of ticketing, that we aren't enforcing enough but we will get back to regular staffing soon enough.

• vortoozo and Victoria Watcher like this

#4567 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:22 PM

This person has been parking in the same spot all day, for months.

#4568 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:29 PM

This person has been parking in the same spot all day, for months.

So call it in. They'll come.

#4569 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:47 PM

Nope. I have given up trying that this year. That used to be the case. Isn't now.

I call, they say they will send someone, doesn't happen.

#4570 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:49 PM

And I'm not being vindictive. I want my customers to have some where to park.

I've asked before how is allowing workers to park all day in the time limited zones that are for customers supposed to help struggling businesses? I've never understood the reasoning behind not enforcing.

#4571 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:10 PM

And I'm not being vindictive. I want my customers to have some where to park.

I've asked before how is allowing workers to park all day in the time limited zones that are for customers supposed to help struggling businesses? I've never understood the reasoning behind not enforcing.

There isn't a reason not to enforce, well there was when the pandemic created the lockdown I suppose.  So many people staying home, their cars weren't moving so I guess common sense is not to ticket them..  Tell me what block, I'll call it in.

Edited by Ismo07, 23 October 2020 - 03:22 PM.

• vortoozo and Victoria Watcher like this

#4572 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 October 2020 - 12:29 AM

Why is there no more 1-hour free in the Johnson parkade?

#4573 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:20 AM

ISMO, my good friend is a manager at Rose Manor on Rupert Terrace, I visit there a lot for my work. It really sucks that the City has installed pay parking all along that street. 

Theres been a few times where the driveway area is backed up and blocked because of taxis, active loading and unloading of older folks etc. Is there any way that the City could look at converting 1 of the 2 spots on this Island spot to a 10 minute unloading/pickup spot. Lots of times folks have to park and go in and collect the walker, the bags etc and that can be an exercise in patience. I've witnessed it first hand. 

https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

No idea why street view isnt showing on this link

Edited by rjag, 24 October 2020 - 07:22 AM.

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#4574 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:25 AM

i would not be opposed to that. 

but they have a pretty big driveway there.   have they looked at better traffic management techniques on their own property first?  markings, signage etc.?  to keep the taxis and drop-offs / pick-ups moving/parking in an orderly fashion?

maybe i will ask this, ISMO.  Is there any opportunities for a hybid spots?  that maybe allow for 10-15 free drop/pick-up but also doubles as meter parking for stays beyond that?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 October 2020 - 07:27 AM.

#4575 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:55 AM

i would not be opposed to that. 

but they have a pretty big driveway there.   have they looked at better traffic management techniques on their own property first?  markings, signage etc.?  to keep the taxis and drop-offs / pick-ups moving/parking in an orderly fashion?

maybe i will ask this, ISMO.  Is there any opportunities for a hybid spots?  that maybe allow for 10-15 free drop/pick-up but also doubles as meter parking for stays beyond that?

Yes you're correct, they have the driveway area but its a fire code / ambulance rule to keep it clear at all times so unless you are a taxi where you dont leave the vehicle...but more often than not like I said loading and unloading can take 5 mins or so. Then theres the handidart, Its very tight in the driveway so they usually park just to the front blocking it or at this spot. I was working there the other day with the flu clinic for 2 hours and theres no 2 hour parking available. They do have 1/2 dozen spaces on the inside of their parking area but that also City patrolled and limited to 1 hour. My tires have been chalked a few times there so it looks like they are not turning the blind eye they used to

Edited by rjag, 24 October 2020 - 07:55 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4576 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:15 AM

So many people staying home, their cars weren't moving so I guess common sense is not to ticket them..  

Not sure what this means. I'm talking about a strictly business area with absolutely no residences. 

#4577 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:34 AM

Why is there no more 1-hour free in the Johnson parkade?

The operation of the Johnson parkade is being trialed as a pay by space model, similar to the street and couple parking lots.  In this form there cannot be a first hour free anymore.  Looking at the chance of changing the first floor into 1 hour free parking but the feeling is that will be full most of the time.  Right now it's $3/hr on the street and $2/hr in the parkade.

One of the main reasons for the change is the removal of the gates.  Daily there was line-ups exiting the parkade in the early evening, with reports of the line-up to the 3rd floor and over 20 minutes to exit.  Now its very smooth to leave.  Other benefits are adding motorcycle parking, reduction in gates and equipment being damaged periodically and the ability to use ParkVictoria to pay for the exact time.  Already about 60% of the parkers there use the app.

#4578 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:38 AM

Yes you're correct, they have the driveway area but its a fire code / ambulance rule to keep it clear at all times so unless you are a taxi where you dont leave the vehicle...but more often than not like I said loading and unloading can take 5 mins or so. Then theres the handidart, Its very tight in the driveway so they usually park just to the front blocking it or at this spot. I was working there the other day with the flu clinic for 2 hours and theres no 2 hour parking available. They do have 1/2 dozen spaces on the inside of their parking area but that also City patrolled and limited to 1 hour. My tires have been chalked a few times there so it looks like they are not turning the blind eye they used to

Hmm I've never seen that.  The area that seems to be their parking lot is not, it is City right of way.  They have a parking lot on the south side of the building where I would likely suggest they look at provide pickups there.  I'll go for a walk there today and have another look.  There are two passengers zones on that block.  One is a new one and relatively close just past these driveways.  Paid parking on Rupert allows for more turnover, when provincial offices were open this block tended to be rather full with the 2 hour shuffle.  With restrictions to government offices there certainly are less vehicles in the areas these days.

#4579 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:46 AM

Is there any opportunities for a hybid spots?  that maybe allow for 10-15 free drop/pick-up but also doubles as meter parking for stays beyond that?

These sorts of spots just get abused to know end.  And the whole purpose of these spots is to ensure they are available.  If someone parks there and pays for the day we lose the hybrid ability so there isn't much point.  I love Hybrids they just need to have defined times...

#4580 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:54 AM

yes I suppose.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users