Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#4641 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 10:58 AM

^ like how the City claims we get an extra hour of free parking in the mornings! 8-9 was always free as the first hour was free anyways!
  • Nparker likes this

#4642 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,927 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 11:05 AM

^ like how the City claims we get an extra hour of free parking in the mornings! 8-9 was always free as the first hour was free anyways!

i think what they are showing - correctly - is that if you park before 8am you still get that first hour free even now.

#4643 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 12:31 PM

i think what they are showing - correctly - is that if you park before 8am you still get that first hour free even now.

That was the case previously as well as the 'meter' for the free hour only started at 8AM. In other words you never paid before 9 anyways.

#4644 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 07:36 AM

We've used machines in French parking buildings which were very easy. On the way back to your car, you pushed in the card, paid what you owed either by cash or credit card. You retrieved your parking card and put it in the machine on your way out, which lifted the barricade. No muss, no fuss. 

#4645 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 May 2021 - 07:40 AM

We've used machines in French parking buildings which were very easy. On the way back to your car, you pushed in the card, paid what you owed either by cash or credit card. You retrieved your parking card and put it in the machine on your way out, which lifted the barricade. No muss, no fuss.

Isn't that the existing (or I guess previous) system in Victoria parkades? At least it was in the Yates parkade when I worked downtown years ago

#4646 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 07:44 AM

Yes, that was the system on Johnson 24 hours a day. The others have/had (I dunno) manned booths during business hours.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4647 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 03:25 PM

Isn't that the existing (or I guess previous) system in Victoria parkades? At least it was in the Yates parkade when I worked downtown years ago

No idea as I never go to them, lol. 

#4648 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 11:31 AM

Yeah, I think that's fair.

Is the $5 in free parking going anywhere, Ismo?

This got voted down....

#4649 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 11:36 AM

Hey Ismo. When restrictions have been lifted,
I think it would be a great idea to offer a month of free parking everywhere downtown. I’m certain council will hate this idea but businesses are hanging on by a thread & it would be a great incentive for people to come downtown.

I think that the restrictions being lifted will be incentive enough.  We've already seen as restriction get scaled back a little parking transactions increase and when a new restriction is imposed they drop again.  This has been a yo-yo for the last year.

One more reason for me to avoid shopping downtown. Stopped doing lunch downtown (which I used to do most days) and now going to Oak Bay or Saanich. 

One hour free is actually easy to do for the machines. You get one hour per day per license plate. Problem solved. Somebody is either extremely dense or is actually intentionally lying to you.

We do not do pay by licence...  If you want to call me to discuss this please do but keep an open mind and try not to call me dense or a liar. :)  250.361.0330

I rarely pay when using a parkade as I'm never longer than an hour. I usually just pick up my library books. If I have to pay, I'll have them sent to the Oak Bay Branch instead. I don't have a smart phone so any sort of app isn't going to work for me. 

There will be plenty of one hour free spaces for you.

Read the explanation at https://www.victoria...g/parkades.html, and I still don't understand how this works if you don't use the app.

Sounds like there are going to be Siemens machines in parkades like those on the street ... but will you be able to use your On-Street Parking Card? And you'll have to pony up the full $14.50 for a day when you park, and remember to use it again to get money refunded back to the card before you leave?

Yes you will be able to use your parking card should you not want/can use the app.  Yeah the card being 20+ year old tech only loads the day rate.

We will have ample 1 hour free spaces...

Edited by Ismo07, 10 May 2021 - 11:43 AM.

#4650 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 11:40 AM

Yes every parkade operated like that since the pandemic began as staff were isolating.  This process is slow, there is fuss and muss.  I hear the complaints about the 15 minute wait in line many times.  Eventually people have gotten used to the wait, now that wait will no longer be there.

That was the case previously as well as the 'meter' for the free hour only started at 8AM. In other words you never paid before 9 anyways.

We are just reporting that the times have changed so you while there is no first hour free the time where fees begin is at 9am just like the street.  I think we should still be telling people even though it's the same (but different way) outcome.  Otherwise people understanding there is not first hour free will expect to pay from 8am when that is not the case.

Edited by Ismo07, 10 May 2021 - 11:42 AM.

#4651 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for the info about the one hour free spaces. One further questions, let's say I park in a one hour free spot, then I'm unavoidable detained. What will happen? Will I get a ticket? Will there be a human to monitor the spots? If so, why not keep an attendant? 

#4652 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for the info about the one hour free spaces. One further questions, let's say I park in a one hour free spot, then I'm unavoidable detained. What will happen? Will I get a ticket? Will there be a human to monitor the spots? If so, why not keep an attendant? 

Yes the spots need to be monitored, human nature simply dictates that otherwise they would be quite busy.  I will say that it would be very unlikely a ticket is issued an hour after someone parks.  We are not seeing it often in the Johnson Parkade.

• pontcanna and mbjj like this

#4653 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for the info!

#4654 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,927 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 03:26 AM

Pay parking could be on its way to Tofino beaches and the downtown area as council looks at ways to generate revenue.

The estimated net revenue from pay parking is about $800,000 to $900,000 annually.

Tofino Coun. Britt Chalmers said discussions about pay parking are still in their early stages and the potential rates have not been decided.

There has been conversation about having annual passes for Tofino residents and First Nations communities, and possibly a regional rate, she said.

https://www.timescol...ches-1.24320903

very reasonable.  just do it.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 May 2021 - 03:26 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#4655 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,927 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 05:14 AM

The first car parked beyond the “Local Traffic Only” sign on Oak Bay’s Esplanade, by Willows Beach, has a Quebec licence plate.

On a sunny Friday afternoon, it’s clear people are ignoring the decision by Oak Bay council to restrict access to Esplanade to local traffic. Several cars are parked behind the barricade on the street overlooking Willows Beach. People are coming and going from their cars to the beach with chairs, blankets, towels and sand toys.

https://www.timescol...ndly-1.24322131

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 May 2021 - 05:15 AM.

#4656 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 08:37 AM

Oak Bay is weird about parking near public events and spaces.

When the Night Market was going, they put up No Parking signs on all the near by streets. Same during the Tea Party.

#4657 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 08:41 AM

Victoria is weirder residential only parking signs all the time posted everywhere you would like to conveniently park.

Edited by todd, 23 May 2021 - 08:42 AM.

#4658 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 08:43 AM

The first car parked beyond the “Local Traffic Only” sign on Oak Bay’s Esplanade, by Willows Beach, has a Quebec licence plate.

On a sunny Friday afternoon, it’s clear people are ignoring the decision by Oak Bay council to restrict access to Esplanade to local traffic. Several cars are parked behind the barricade on the street overlooking Willows Beach. People are coming and going from their cars to the beach with chairs, blankets, towels and sand toys.

https://www.timescol...ndly-1.24322131

That was TC front page large photo if you were wondering.

#4659 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 10:06 AM

Astounded by the woman quoted in the article that implied that families could just take the bus to the beach!

• todd and Victoria Watcher like this

#4660 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 02:18 PM

Astounded by the woman quoted in the article that implied that families could just take the bus to the beach!

“..Murdoch suggested that anyone visiting Willows Beach this weekend take the bus or...”: https://www.timescol...ndly-1.24322131

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users