Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#4661 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 05:28 PM

What is wrong with taking the bus?

#4662 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 May 2021 - 10:46 PM

Esplanade is basically beach only parking.  What's wrong with Oak Bay Council?  

"Oak Bay Mayor Kevin Murdoch said the restrictions were put in place because the Esplanade sidewalk is narrow and vehicles make it difficult for people to walk down the road and keep their physical distance."

Yet you can stand in a lineup in a crowded store but you can't step aside to give someone some extra space out here?  

Logic and reason just evades some people, doesn't it?

Attached Images

• Capture.JPG

• Nparker, Redd42 and grantpalin like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4663 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 02:22 AM

What is wrong with taking the bus?

sure, i'll just hop on the bus with my wagon carrying kids beach toys, an umbrella, sun tent, towels,sunscreen, a blanket, change of clothing (just incase!) plus food and drinks.. oh and can't forget a couple of beach over my shoulder because you know the kids won't carry anything.. now try to hold a toddlers or young child's hand (or two kids) and board the bus

• Redd42 and On the Level like this

#4664 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 06:11 AM

You’ll probably have to transfer as well. Sounds like fun.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4665 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,962 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 06:17 AM

You’ll probably have to transfer as well. Sounds like fun.

almost certainly at least once.  only one bus goes there the #2.

#4666 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 08:09 AM

sure, i'll just hop on the bus with my wagon carrying kids beach toys, an umbrella, sun tent, towels,sunscreen, a blanket, change of clothing (just incase!) plus food and drinks.. oh and can't forget a couple of beach over my shoulder because you know the kids won't carry anything.. now try to hold a toddlers or young child's hand (or two kids) and board the bus

Well can’t say we’ve ever brought an umbrella or sun tent to the beach, regardless of how we’ve gotten there. The other items, sure, and they’ve always fit in a couple of those reusable cloth bags. Look, obviously taking the bus won’t work for everyone, but for a lot of families it could. We live within a few minutes of the 11. Goes pretty close to within a 10 min walk. On a nice summer day you’d spend longer than that trying to park. And yeah, if you’re coming from Broadmead or Gordon Head, driving might make more sense, but there are lots of families that could make the bus work.

#4667 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,962 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 08:16 AM

won’t work for everyone?

what percentage of Willows Beach visitors regularly take the bus there? the bus that has been running for decades?

very few. those that live close what to walk there and those that don’t mostly want to drive there. what is so wrong with that?
  • sebberry and Redd42 like this

#4668 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 08:24 AM

A pretty high % probably drive, you’re right. My point was a percentage of those who drive could take the bus there fairly easily. And why should they? Well there’s less parking there now, fewer cars on the road is a good thing, etc etc. Should there be less parking there? Well that’s a whole other debate.

#4669 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 08:35 AM

I've bussed to Willows, Cadboro, and Gonzales many times before often with friends who also arrive by bus, often from different parts of the city. I'm not sure why both an umbrella and sun tent would be required. I've never gone to the beach with anything more than a backpack. You're not camping there. 

#4670 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 May 2021 - 08:40 AM

All you guys clearly do not have young kids.
  • Mike K., Nparker, sebberry and 2 others like this

#4671 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 08:59 AM

A pretty high % probably drive, you’re right. My point was a percentage of those who drive could take the bus there fairly easily. And why should they? Well there’s less parking there now, fewer cars on the road is a good thing, etc etc. Should there be less parking there? Well that’s a whole other debate.

From Tyndall at San Juan in Gordon Head, it would take a mother with two small children 54 minutes to bus to Willows Beach, at the walking pace of an adult between stops. She can make that drive in 12 minutes.

I wouldn’t call busing there easy. I would call that a hindrance. Oak Bay has effectively said to the broader community we don’t want you here, please find an alternate green space to spend your time at, because sidewalks are not wide enough to protect you.

So while we want to protect you, Oak Bay says, we also want you to get onto a bus, and to travel in a confined small space with the general public, the same general public that will put you at risk if you walk past them on our sidewalk. Your safety is our primary concern.

Edited by Mike K., 24 May 2021 - 09:03 AM.

• Nparker, LJ, sebberry and 4 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4672 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 09:01 AM

From Tyndall at San Juan in Gordon Head, it would take a mother with two small children 54 minutes to bus to Willows Beach, at the walking pace of an adult between stops. She can make that drive in 12 minutes.

I wouldn’t call that easy. I would call that a hindrance.

Which is why, in my prior post, I said for someone in Gordon Head, driving might make more sense :)

#4673 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 09:05 AM

None of it makes sense.

Forcing people onto public transit because they are in danger on a sidewalk is nonsensical.

Anyways, there are plenty of other places to spend time at. If Oak Bay doesn’t want visitors from further afield that’s their prerogative.
  • Nparker and Redd42 like this

Know it all.

#4674 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 09:06 AM

...Forcing people onto public transit because they are in danger on a sidewalk is nonsensical....

:thumbsup:

#4675 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 09:37 AM

There’s still tons of parking in the area within a couple minute walk.

#4676 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 09:49 AM

almost certainly at least once. only one bus goes there the #2.

screenshot-nimbus-capture-2021.05.24-10_16_08.png

Yep you just take a number two to go to Oak Bay.

Edited by todd, 24 May 2021 - 09:50 AM.

• Matt R. and lanforod like this

#4677 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 10:25 AM

Oak Bay has effectively said to the broader community we don’t want you here, 

That is what they seem to be saying when they hold so call public events like the Night Market and Tea Party then put up No Parking signs for blocks around the event.

#4678 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 10:25 AM

I parked at Willows both on this Sat and Sunday. Not a problem. Lots of parking within a ten minute walk. Try cattle point.

Besides if you are in the downtown core, you also have all of BHP to take your kids to according to Victoria city council. 

• todd likes this

#4679 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 10:33 AM

Can confirm, the baseball diamond field at BHP along Haywood was a terrific spot for a picnic yesterday.

#4680 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 10:40 AM

I parked at Willows both on this Sat and Sunday. Not a problem. Lots of parking within a ten minute walk. Try cattle point. 

There is a LONG set of stairs from Cattle Point. So your basically saying too bad to folks with kids in strollers or with mobility issues. Same thing with your 10 minute walk.

• todd and Midnightly like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users