Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#4741 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 09:35 AM

Just wait for fall, when everything will fill up and cars will be queued at the entrances (hopefully; speaking in hopeful terms for downtown's economic survival).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4742 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 09:50 AM

Just wait for fall, when everything will fill up and cars will be queued at the entrances (hopefully; speaking in hopeful terms for downtown's economic survival).

One of the biggest reasons I think that we were having those queues was commuters.  If we see less of them return we should have lots of room for shorter term parkers.

#4743 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 09:54 AM

That's not a good thing, is it? 

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4744 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 09:57 AM

That's not a good thing, is it? 

Well from 2017-2019 we tried a couple of different things to discourage even 10% of commuters in the City parkades as for each commuter we potentially get 5-8 short-term parkers from driving around or idling in a queue.  That's not a bad thing.

• Mike K. and Brayvehart like this

#4745 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 10:08 AM

Do the city's parking cards work in the parkades now that it's the same payment machine as street parking? The website says they don't, but my guess is that it's out of date.

If the city would waive the $10 admin fee, and make it easier to purchase and reload, the parking cards may alleviate some of the concerns and complaints.  

#4746 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 10:11 AM

It’s not an admin fee, it’s the minimum card load rate. You can set it to $20, etc, but that $10 is what your card is loaded with for pay parking.

Know it all.

#4747 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 11:11 AM

The city's site says there is an admin fee for the parking card: 

"The City's Parking Card is available for use at all on-street pay stations. A Parking Card can be purchased and reloaded at the Customer Service Centre at City Hall for a one-time administration fee of $10, and parking time is available in $25 increments. The hours of operation for the Customer Service Centre at City Hall are Monday to Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Note: City parkades and surface parking lots do not accept Parking Cards. The single parking meter heads accept coins only. "

I use the app now, but recall paying the admin fee many moons ago. 

#4748 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 11:14 AM

Do the city's parking cards work in the parkades now that it's the same payment machine as street parking? The website says they don't, but my guess is that it's out of date.

If the city would waive the $10 admin fee, and make it easier to purchase and reload, the parking cards may alleviate some of the concerns and complaints.  

Yes the card does work in the parkades....  Such an old technology they cannot (will not) produce a reload station.  They can be reloaded with coin at any machine.  While it's not expected that you carry $20 to load, it's just a good way to get rid of loose change when you have it.  Reduces trips to City Hall to reload.  We are working on pay with tap, so there might be potential to load the card there but the pay stations are so old, not sure about that at this time.

It’s not an admin fee, it’s the minimum card load rate. You can set it to $20, etc, but that $10 is what your card is loaded with for pay parking.

Well the $10 is to buy the card.  Really there is not minimum to load.  The cards cost the City $12 ea. to purchase so the $10 recoups most of that price.  

• sukika likes this

#4749 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 11:21 AM

yes if they are true stored value cards with the requisite chip inside they do cost a fair amount to produce. you can’t really give them away.
  • Rob Randall likes this

#4750 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 12:42 PM

Oh hold on, I mistook that to mean the mobile app account which has a general setting of $10 per reload.

I had no idea there was an additional card you could use.
  • Ismo07 likes this

Know it all.

#4751 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 01:07 PM

Oh hold on, I mistook that to mean the mobile app account which has a general setting of $10 per reload.

I had no idea there was an additional card you could use.

The City has had a reloadable parking card since 2001 that would refund unused time.  From when we bought the electronic parking meters. :)

#4752 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 01:22 PM

Weird.

I was on to like my fourth cellphone by 2001.

Know it all.

#4753 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 01:44 PM

Weird.

I was on to like my fourth cellphone by 2001.

The card doesn't have anything to do with cell phones?  I was trying to get an app in 2008/09 and only finally got it by 2015... 

#4754 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 03:05 PM

I know I know, I meant I didn’t know about this card, but I wasn’t a Luddite :)

Know it all.

#4755 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 03:09 PM

I know I know, I meant I didn’t know about this card, but I wasn’t a Luddite :)

The card maxed out to just under 13% use.  The app had cracked he 50% mark before the summer and should climb back up after tourists aren't as abundant.

Edited by Ismo07, 16 August 2021 - 03:14 PM.

#4756 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 04:16 PM

I’m still on my 4th cellphone.
  • Matt R. and Ismo07 like this

Know it all.

#4757 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 08:01 PM

I’m still on my 4th cellphone.

i finally replaced my first phone last year... i could have never put the app on that phone, heck i could have hardly anything on it (but i could still make calls and send the odd text.. that's all i needed it for)

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#4758 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 25 August 2021 - 03:17 PM

Was at View St parkade today. Arrived at 1:10 and parked in the 1 hour free lower level. Returned to my car at 1:40 and there was a ticket on my windscreen. Claimed I had overstayed the 1 hour so it was $40 or $20 if paid in a week. 

Called the number on the ticket and explained the situation and the nice young guy said the ticket showed they marked my car at 11:31...except I got there at 1:10 and arrived back at my car within 30 minutes. I could prove I wasn't there at 11:31.

They waived the ticket but it shows there's a flaw in the system with the 1 hour free area. I think you still should have to register your spot as its a 'he said she said' thing

#4759 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 03:19 PM

Knowing the car you drive, I'm surprised that it was mistaken for one parked in the stall earlier!  :teacher:

• rjag likes this

Know it all.

#4760 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 August 2021 - 06:15 PM

$40 or $20 if paid in a week. 

I hope you checked for scratches - the zippers on the ticket maid's jackets scratch!

I'm really not a fan of the reduction if paid early idea. It incentivizes a guilty plea even if you're not the criminal they're accusing you of being.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users