Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5613 replies to this topic

#4761 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 August 2021 - 07:45 AM

I hope you checked for scratches - the zippers on the ticket maid's jackets scratch!

I'm really not a fan of the reduction if paid early idea. It incentivizes a guilty plea even if you're not the criminal they're accusing you of being.

That's just the way it's spun. Spin it differently. It's a $20 ticket that doubles if you pay it late. Maybe it should double again if its > 6 months late...

#4762 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 07:47 AM

They waived the ticket but it shows there's a flaw in the system with the 1 hour free area. I think you still should have to register your spot as its a 'he said she said' thing

Yes, chalk has been used for any limited time zone in the City since, perhaps, before you were born.  Would you have been parked nearby and got chalked?  It is a pretty tried and true process but not totally infallible.  Once the transition of the last parkade (Yates), we will be moving to an LPR system which will use photos of plates and chalk will no longer be required.

I'm really not a fan of the reduction if paid early idea. It incentivizes a guilty plea even if you're not the criminal they're accusing you of being.

Interesting way to look at it.  I think most people have their tickets reviewed first.  Overall a majority of the tickets written are valid.  Small % of mistakes, most tickets cancelled are of an educational, as a courtesy in nature or a reasonable mistake was made on the part of the parker.  I like to think we are quite reasonable when reviewing tickets, more so than most cities or private companies.

• Brayvehart likes this

#4763 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 August 2021 - 07:49 AM

^ subtle dig at Robbins there ;)

#4764 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 07:53 AM

^ subtle dig at Robbins there ;)

Ah, oops no, I've heard they aren't so bad either, unless you are getting multiple tickets for not paying.  I do have many contacts across the country and these sorts of things are discussed and I get quite the ribbing for free parking options, rates, giving refunds with the app and parking card and the length we go to cancelling tickets.  Most contemporaries believe this is a parking haven, so I get a kick out of people who tell me we are the worst and the toughest...  Kind of like when I disciplined my kids I guess, worst dad ever... 

Edited by Ismo07, 26 August 2021 - 07:54 AM.

• Mike K. and Brayvehart like this

#4765 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 08:04 AM

They sometimes forget we’re not Montreal, though, and that small cities have to do things differently than bigger ones.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4766 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 26 August 2021 - 09:26 AM

Yes, chalk has been used for any limited time zone in the City since, perhaps, before you were born.  Would you have been parked nearby and got chalked?  It is a pretty tried and true process but not totally infallible.  Once the transition of the last parkade (Yates), we will be moving to an LPR system which will use photos of plates and chalk will no longer be required.

Nope, I was at home all morning and left the house at 12:45 to make the 25 min drive from UVic to the View Parkade. Arrived at 13:10, waived to the friendly security guard who knows me and he said lots of space down below if I'm going to be less than an hour. Parked the car at 13:10 as I remember looking at my watch to make sure I would stay under my hour and went for my meeting. I returned at 13:40 and note the ticket was written at 13:21. 

So 11 mins after I arrived and was greeted by the security guard.... My tires are extremely low profile and very clean. There was no chalk mark as even the security guard looked when I found him to ask about the ticket. He remarked there was no chalk mark visible. I will note the cars parked on either side of me were there when I arrived and returned and neither of their tires were marked with chalk either

I called the number on the ticket and had a nice convo with Andrew who was very helpful. He looked up the ticket and said the notes indicated that the car was there at 11:31...I said this wasnt possible as I was on the phone at that time to a business partner and I have home security footage of my car being in my garage up till 12:40 when it records me leaving. 

Its not a big deal as it was sorted and Andrew was very professional as was the security guard. All I'm doing is pointing out the flaw in the system. And as you said once license plate readers are instituted the flaw will be resolved

#4767 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 August 2021 - 09:35 AM

They sometimes forget we’re not Montreal, though, and that small cities have to do things differently than bigger ones.

The bigger the city, the more of an insignificant number you become.  Ever watched parking wars?  There's nothing like the good old PPA to remind everyone of how insignificant and unimportant the average resident is to society when they park improperly.  

Yes, chalk has been used for any limited time zone in the City since, perhaps, before you were born.

Vandalism!  

• Mike K. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4768 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 12:07 PM

Nope, I was at home all morning and left the house at 12:45 to make the 25 min drive from UVic to the View Parkade. Arrived at 13:10, waived to the friendly security guard who knows me and he said lots of space down below if I'm going to be less than an hour. Parked the car at 13:10 as I remember looking at my watch to make sure I would stay under my hour and went for my meeting. I returned at 13:40 and note the ticket was written at 13:21. 

So 11 mins after I arrived and was greeted by the security guard.... My tires are extremely low profile and very clean. There was no chalk mark as even the security guard looked when I found him to ask about the ticket. He remarked there was no chalk mark visible. I will note the cars parked on either side of me were there when I arrived and returned and neither of their tires were marked with chalk either

I called the number on the ticket and had a nice convo with Andrew who was very helpful. He looked up the ticket and said the notes indicated that the car was there at 11:31...I said this wasnt possible as I was on the phone at that time to a business partner and I have home security footage of my car being in my garage up till 12:40 when it records me leaving. 

Its not a big deal as it was sorted and Andrew was very professional as was the security guard. All I'm doing is pointing out the flaw in the system. And as you said once license plate readers are instituted the flaw will be resolved

Yeah I get all that, and that security guard is a gem, wish I could clone him, (is that allowed yet?).  There was a chalk mark is the thing when the ticket was issued.  Anyway it's done on this end but will follow up with the ambassador.

#4769 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 12:12 PM

The bigger the city, the more of an insignificant number you become.  Ever watched parking wars?  There's nothing like the good old PPA to remind everyone of how insignificant and unimportant the average resident is to society when they park improperly.  

When that first came out Shaw wanted to follow the commissionaires around at the time and try to get some of that drama lol...  Would not be as interesting.  I would bring the same philosophy wherever I went.  When I meant I get teased by other City's I meant smaller ones than us.  The big ones are obviously a little less hands on that I am.  Got into a discussion about how our parking app would work versus Toronto's, and I was discussing with 3 top guys from the Toronto Parking Authority.  At one point one of the guys asked me where I was from (I was quite insulted) then looked at his colleague and said "Can't we just buy them?".  Was a pretty good shot actually.. 

#4770 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 02:44 PM

First time parking downtown in quite sometime and successfully parked for 3 minutes in a parkade using the new "system"

"The pay by space system requires drivers to pay when they park using the ParkVictoria app or a pay station"

I entered the stall number into a pay station and was denied due to the pay station not recognizing my stall #. I tossed in the towel, went back to my car, exited the parkade, left downtown and went elsewhere for lunch. 

I do not want to download an app to use a handful of times yearly. No thanks. 

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#4771 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 03:08 PM

First time parking downtown in quite sometime and successfully parked for 3 minutes in a parkade using the new "system"

"The pay by space system requires drivers to pay when they park using the ParkVictoria app or a pay station"

I entered the stall number into a pay station and was denied due to the pay station not recognizing my stall #. I tossed in the towel, went back to my car, exited the parkade, left downtown and went elsewhere for lunch. 

Ah can I ask which parkade and if you recall the number you entered?  Did the pay station say invalid space number or some such messaging?

• Brayvehart likes this

#4772 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 03:14 PM

Yeah I get all that, and that security guard is a gem, wish I could clone him, (is that allowed yet?). There was a chalk mark is the thing when the ticket was issued. Anyway it's done on this end but will follow up with the ambassador.

Yup he is the best! A true asset and a great ambassador. I hope his job is secure as it’s people like him that can inspire confidence in a trip to downtown.

And I’ll repeat…. No chalk mark and ticket issued 11 minutes after arrival

Edited by rjag, 26 August 2021 - 03:15 PM.

#4773 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 03:22 PM

I like the app. Also save on sanitizer and minimal risk of hypodermic needles/robbery 

Edited by todd, 26 August 2021 - 03:22 PM.

#4774 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 03:22 PM

Yup he is the best! A true asset and a great ambassador. I hope his job is secure as it’s people like him that can inspire confidence in a trip to downtown.

And I’ll repeat…. No chalk mark and ticket issued 11 minutes after arrival

Can I share the picture with you?  Just for sh%$s and giggles?

#4775 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 04:03 PM

Can I share the picture with you?  Just for sh%$s and giggles?

Yup u want to post it or email me? And I'll share the screen cap from my security camera showing me leaving my house at 12:45 and a shot of it at 11:40 in my garage as well

pm me as I'm really curious now!!!

And just for sh!ts and giggles check your security cameras for last Saturday the 21st around 13:10-13:20 as I used the 1hr parking with the same car and departed around 13:50 and didnt drive it again until yesterday...  :muching_out:

Edited by rjag, 26 August 2021 - 04:55 PM.

• sebberry likes this

#4776 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 08:06 PM

20210827_005131686_iOS.jpg

This was from last Saturday fyi and has likely been driven 15km since then...  :muching_out:

Edited by rjag, 26 August 2021 - 08:07 PM.

• Mike K. and sebberry like this

#4777 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 August 2021 - 08:49 PM

They should colour code the chalk so they know what day it was applied.  Or they should just stop vandalizing peoples tires.  

• Dr. Barillas and Spy Black like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#4778 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 07:12 AM

When that first came out Shaw wanted to follow the commissionaires around at the time and try to get some of that drama lol...  Would not be as interesting.  I would bring the same philosophy wherever I went.  When I meant I get teased by other City's I meant smaller ones than us.

There are smaller cities more jerkish with their on-street parking? What sorts of hellish nightmare places are those?

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4779 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 08:26 AM

Ah can I ask which parkade and if you recall the number you entered?  Did the pay station say invalid space number or some such messaging?

Johnson St. parkade.  Hard to remember but I'd like to say 2644. Second floor nearest stall to the right of the east stairwell. 

Edited by Dr. Barillas, 27 August 2021 - 08:27 AM.

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#4780 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 August 2021 - 09:45 PM

They should colour code the chalk so they know what day it was applied.  Or they should just stop vandalizing peoples tires.  

And just like that the Facebook spy algorithm figured out I should see this article...

https://www.autoblog...t-case-michigan

Court: Chalked tires violate rights of Michigan woman with 14 parking tickets Federal appeals panel rules unanimously Saginaw violated her Fourth Amendment rights

[...]

• rjag likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users