Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#4841 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 09:34 AM

It appears that the only structured parkade security procedure the COV has in place at their own parkades is for those patrons who feel unsafe walking through a parkade to return to their vehicle, albeit that's for personal safety as opposed to vehicle security.

SafeWalk:

The SafeWalk service provides you with the option of calling 250.686.3715 to arrange for a parkade security guard to meet and accompany you to your vehicle.  

There is an old system of cameras in a few of the parkades that have the cameras at entrances and exits.  There have been requests over the last 4-7 years to have a camera system put in that would show each space.  I will say though that this is the first incident like this that I have heard of since I started in 1993.  I will say unmonitored cameras do not provide much except for potential evidence, which in this case what will become of this incident in the courts in the end?  Even if monitor and a dispatch is sent, the situation would have likely been nearly the same.  I'm not trying to down play this, it's a very serious incident, like I said, perhaps the most serious I've heard of.  I do not have all the answers or info on what happened either.

#4842 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,854 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 09:40 AM

Robbins parking locator says they have spots available in almost every parkade:

https://robbinsparki...arking-locator/

Pre-Covid there was only one or two downtown lots with space available.

#4843 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 09:41 AM

My simple solution is to not go downtown.

• rjag, sebberry and SimonH like this

#4844 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 November 2021 - 10:02 AM

Maybe we need better controlled access in and out of the parkades?  Users must scan their parking card to unlock the door or something.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4845 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 10:11 AM

Maybe we need better controlled access in and out of the parkades?  Users must scan their parking card to unlock the door or something.  

Public parkades are meant to be public access midblock, well Johnson, View and Broughton.  Really difficult to lock them down and would this be a knee-jerk reaction?

#4846 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 10:13 AM

And show their vaccine passports.

#4847 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 November 2021 - 10:19 AM

Public parkades are meant to be public access midblock, well Johnson, View and Broughton.  Really difficult to lock them down and would this be a knee-jerk reaction?

What are the stats on how many cars are smashed into or damaged in public parkades?  Lots of public buildings that aren't really designed for hanging around or passing through.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#4848 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 01:15 PM

What are the stats on how many cars are smashed into or damaged in public parkades?  Lots of public buildings that aren't really designed for hanging around or passing through.

They are actually down by 50% over the last year and a half for whatever reason, there are more break ins on the street.  To fully secure the parkade would not make it very accessible and the costs to park would increase.  If folks just left nothing in their vehicle things would be better off.  Gone are the days of leaving things in your vehicle.

Edited by Ismo07, 02 November 2021 - 01:16 PM.

#4849 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 01:33 PM

Well, they just did away with parking attendants recently. Now it's up to the Paladin People to do rounds and keep an eye on things.

"there are more break ins on the street."

This is true in my experience. I used to get at least two car B&E's a year, broken glass etc when I parked on the street. I started parking in the city lot at night about 4-5 years ago and haven't had a single one since. However, they did go whole hog and steal the thing once a while back. At least they didn't break the glass :)

#4850 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 01:47 PM

I had my license plate stolen in the library parkade, maybe four years ago now. 

#4851 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 04:44 PM

With what's going on in the downtown core in 2021, I think increased parkade security has to be seen as a no-brainer.

I mean I get the fact that the COV can't control everything, but when the COV abrogates responsibility for basic security of folks means of transportation to the downtown core, things like bikes, cars, as well as the general well being of folks walking around downtown ... I can't think of anything other than to call it a huge cop-out.

If the COV doesn't handle basic vehicle and personal security during this current crime wave, who's supposed to handle it?

VicPD doesn't do security.

It's a tough nut to figure out to be sure ... but somebody has to do something. Tax dollars have to be put to work for the betterment of the folks who are obliged to pay them.

#4852 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 04:50 PM

If the COV doesn't handle basic vehicle and personal security during this current crime wave, who's supposed to handle it?

VicPD doesn't do security.

It wasn't long ago there weren't any rent-a-cops in the City parkades, now they're there 24/7.

Though I don't know how observant they are or how proactive in terms of addressing people with no business being there...

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4853 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 07:53 AM

It wasn't long ago there weren't any rent-a-cops in the City parkades, now they're there 24/7.

Though I don't know how observant they are or how proactive in terms of addressing people with no business being there...

These are big facilities where one guard stationed with set walking tours of each parkade does not stop much if someone really wants to break into vehicles.  The presence does more for moving people along which was the reasoning to increase to have someone at each facility.  With changes to the parkades operation there are now 2 parking ambassadors who walk through each facility during the day multiple times and at random times.  These folks are not security but are obviously a presence and can reports issues as required.  While security is not increased, there are more eyes out there.  Again with all the increase in crime, parkade reports are down substantially in 2020.    Part of this might be the public are not leaving as many loose items in their vehicles.  I've had many calls over the years of cars broken into and cell phones, purses, laptops etc have been stolen.  

#4854 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 07:56 AM

Why won’t the City do what needs to be done to make people feel safe? Why does the expectation of safety have to come with snide remarks and indifference?

You know you have a serious problem, so let’s move to fix it. These parkades have been problem zones for a decade-plus, it’s time to take action.
  • Spy Black likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4855 m3m

m3m
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 08:08 AM

I think the City parkades switched to ultra-bright lights a couple years ago and that made a big difference for me. They also seem a lot cleaner now than they used to be. 

#4856 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 09:06 AM

Why won’t the City do what needs to be done to make people feel safe? Why does the expectation of safety have to come with snide remarks and indifference?

You know you have a serious problem, so let’s move to fix it. These parkades have been problem zones for a decade-plus, it’s time to take action.

What?  You mean the break-ins?  Yeah it's a problem everywhere, including on-street, in peoples driveways, what's your fix here?  And what snide remarks?

I think the City parkades switched to ultra-bright lights a couple years ago and that made a big difference for me. They also seem a lot cleaner now than they used to be. 

Yes they are brighter LEDs.  Also painting the ceilings have helped, Centennial is finally being done.

#4857 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 November 2021 - 09:11 AM

Yes they are brighter LEDs.  Also painting the ceilings have helped, Centennial is finally being done.

After your eyes adjust to the bright parkade, it's great pulling out onto a dark road in the rain at night :D

#4858 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 09:17 AM

After your eyes adjust to the bright parkade, it's great pulling out onto a dark road in the rain at night :D

Oops didn't think about that issue.

#4859 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 12:02 PM

^^This^^

If the COV basically says "Yeah, downtown is pretty bad these days, what do you want us to do about it?" ... who on earth is supposed to fix it?

Does the COV expect the Feds to fix downtown crime and violence? ... the Province? ... the Rosicrucian's? ... somebody at the COV municipal level really has to start paying a lot more attention to the issue than is currently the case.

• Mike K. likes this

#4860 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 November 2021 - 12:09 PM

Oops didn't think about that issue.

Egress from parkades is nearly always sketchy. I hate doing that. Nighttime just makes it worse.

• sebberry likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users