Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#4881 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 11:21 AM

You want your bodyguard to buy?  I'm sure I can scrape together a drink or too...  

On second thought, maybe you should come out and join me where neither of us need a bodyguard  :cheers:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4882 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 02:03 PM

City of Toronto gets rid of parking minimums for all new residential developments, as well as adding a limit on the numbers of spaces that can be built. Essentially leaving it to the market. Great news. Would love to see Victoria follow suit.

https://storeys.com/...l-developments/

#4883 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 02:47 PM

City of Toronto gets rid of parking minimums for all new residential developments, as well as adding a limit on the numbers of spaces that can be built. Essentially leaving it to the market. Great news. Would love to see Victoria follow suit.

Unfortunately leaving it to the market has it's issues already...We've chatted about the brilliant idea of unbundling parking from each unit...  I get the utopian vision of building less parking and hoping people have less cars, utilize car shares, public transport, living closer to the core so you can walk/bike etc.  I live it..  Not enough people have this in mind.  People are buying/renting with one spot (or none) and expecting to parking extra vehicles on the street nearby.  When developers (and the sales) basically tell them "Oh yeah, lots of on-street parking".  It just isn't going to work how it might in more of a metropolis.  Trust me I've been dealing with this utopic idea in Victoria for 20 years.  Developers do not care if people have parking on site, they can now build much cheaper and still sell for a better profit in this way because the value of the parking isn't there. Few buyers think about the storage of their vehicle until too late.  I'd love it to work but we will see.  When you limit the maximum you aren't actually leaving it to the market either.

I still believe there should be a way to share the private parking during the day with commuters.  Help to pay strata fees and gets commuters to utilize unused spaces that the public couldn't use typically.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#4884 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,949 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 03:17 PM

Most of Toronto at least in the core has no “free” on street overnight parking though. You pay for a monthly street parking permit if you are a resident or even a visitor (you can buy a short term pass too) that wants to park overnight.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 December 2021 - 03:19 PM.

• berzele likes this

#4885 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 09:31 AM

Most of Toronto at least in the core has no “free” on street overnight parking though. You pay for a monthly street parking permit if you are a resident or even a visitor (you can buy a short term pass too) that wants to park overnight.

Street parking has a limit to it..  Much less than the buildings we are talking about.

#4886 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 09:35 AM

Maybe I should rent out a couple of my garage spaces? What are people paying for a garage in the core these days?

• Nparker likes this

#4887 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 09:39 AM

Maybe I should rent out a couple of my garage spaces? What are people paying for a garage in the core these days?

In the core, probably $140 - $220 -$250... Really depends...

#4888 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 09:46 AM

I only charge $60/month (with a $10/month discount for paying 3 months in advance) to rent out my unused parking space at my downtown condo. I wish I could open it up to the general public for some real revenue.

#4889 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 09:49 AM

Strata councils usually have limits on what individuals can charge for excess stalls.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4890 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 09:51 AM

$175+ if a person can keep an unlicensed car or boat there and do a bit of work on it there too.

#4891 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 09:52 AM

Strata councils usually have limits on what individuals can charge for excess stalls.

Our only restriction is that unused parking can only be rented to other residents, for obvious security reasons.

• Mike K. likes this

#4892 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 09:53 AM

Our only restriction is that unused parking can only be rented to other residents, for obvious security reasons.

Because everyone knows that the #1 way people break into apartments is by renting a monthly parking stall from a tenant/owner to gain access.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 December 2021 - 09:53 AM.

• sebberry and Ismo07 like this

#4893 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 17 December 2021 - 03:54 PM

Really think the removal of off street parking is a bad idea - off street parking enables more of the road space to be used for active travel. Bike lanes needs space. Sidewalks need space. Car lanes need space - and a two way bike lane, travel lane and parking lane is 3 lanes of space that then mean an emergency vehicle might have difficulty passing as there is nowhere for vehicles to move to the side when needed. If anything we need more OFF street parking options to enable our streets to function better at moving people around.

Also - wish there was app where an otherwise reserved space could be sublet for when not in use. Like AirBnB but for parking spaces. Would much rather book a guaranteed spot than circle the block 5 times looking for a space.

• Midnightly, FogPub and Harry like this

#4894 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 04:07 PM

Also - wish there was app where an otherwise reserved space could be sublet for when not in use. Like AirBnB but for parking spaces. Would much rather book a guaranteed spot than circle the block 5 times looking for a space.

There are such things but the dollar value is so low not many people with space to let bother with it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 December 2021 - 04:07 PM.

#4895 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 07:35 PM

I rented out two of mine for free. Is that still rent?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4896 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 December 2021 - 09:58 AM

Gotta chuckle at the anti-car lobby all cheering this as if it will make a difference.....The unintended consequence of that is units with parking just got a $25-40k premium boost if not more. Developers love not having to build parking, it significantly reduces their costs of construction while not impacting sale values. 

In most established condos theres always a demand for people to rent out spare parking...by removing this it wont remove the # of vehicles, just displace them.

• Nparker, Ismo07 and Awaiting Juno like this

#4897 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 10:32 AM

...by removing this it wont remove the # of vehicles, just displace them.

One need only look at the implementation of CoV bike lanes; the number of cars has not changed, just the roads on which they travel have become more congested.

• rjag and Awaiting Juno like this

#4898 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 December 2021 - 10:53 AM

One need only look at the implementation of CoV bike lanes; the number of cars has not changed, just the roads on which they travel have become more congested.

Yup, its literally 'congestion by design' to force people to drive less because heat islands and stuff.

• Nparker likes this

#4899 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 11:41 AM

Yup, its literally 'congestion by design' to force people to drive less ...

It's not working. I see no evidence of people driving less.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#4900 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 03:44 PM

The City of Victoria says it hopes to give drivers real-time information for on-street parking and parkade space availability by delivering it right to their smartphone or vehicle.

Currently, the only way for a driver to find out whether a city parkade is full is to look at digital signage at the parkade’s entrance.

The city is exploring ways to eventually provide live, updated information about on-street and parkade spots through an app or in-vehicle smart tech, city spokesman Bill Eisenhauer told CHEK News Thursday.

https://www.cheknews...spaces-1018515/

Aim a webcam at each physical reader. Set up a one page website with updated feed every minute. Like the highway cams.

There, done for $5,000.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 April 2022 - 03:46 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)