Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#4961 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 07:31 AM

Mike, I surely hope you are kidding. If you cannot see that in one case a public good is being used by a select group of people for their own benefit and in the other the office space is being used to provide services to the public and that is a very different value proposition than I am going to guess we are not ever going to agree on much in this thread. Done.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4962 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 07:42 AM

Why do social housing projects provide so much parking for their residents? Because the operators know that limiting parking supply limits job opportunities, and can negatively impact working families.

If you want to enact a regime to charge for parking in residential areas, I expect that regime to be defended. If you'd prefer not to talk about it now, maybe the idea is not as sound as you may have originally believed?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4963 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:04 AM

Why not outsource the enforcement to a private company. Lease them the rights to all residential parking space for a lumpsum which can go into further road and bike lane improvements and have them manage the permit system and enforcement? I am sure that the cost of the permit could be set into the agreement. Have a 1 year trial and then move into 3 year contracts. 

Yeah I wouldn't support a private company utilizing public space, even with a contract...

#4964 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,854 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:08 AM

^ opposed to our arena deal?

#4965 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:18 AM

Why do social housing projects provide so much parking for their residents? Because the operators know that limiting parking supply limits job opportunities, and can negatively impact working families.

If you want to enact a regime to charge for parking in residential areas, I expect that regime to be defended. If you'd prefer not to talk about it now, maybe the idea is not as sound as you may have originally believed?

Most social housing has very little parking... It's a mistake to do so but that's how it's been.

Equating office space that is paid for to parking in residential areas where it's really not.  Street parking is something that everyone believes they are entitled to, and it's simply not the case.  Everywhere where you see residential only signs there is competition for those spaces, it's the main reason they are there.  It doesn't mean there is paid parking nearby necessarily, and likely there isn't.  Again we are seeing many residential buildings now charging for parking on their lot or below.  This extra expense is having people decide they will park on the street because it's free.  That is a bad direction.

Owning and storing a car is not free.  Where ever there is competition for space there will be regulations.  Secondary suites are causing some of this congestion certainly.  Why is it wrong to provide a permit per household and then an escalating cost for permit for each extra vehicle?  Why should a household with 5 cars parked on the street while they use there double garage is used as a man cave not be charged for that service and storage of vehicles?  Why is the onus on the City to provide this parking?  You wouldn't live in a house with fewer bathrooms than you need, so why move in to a place without appropriate parking spaces?

#4966 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:20 AM

^ opposed to our arena deal?

Not really the same...  There are some cities that have sold their parking to a private service and it doesn't work well for the public or for the city...  It's been tried and failed...  Arena operation is quite different as a single entity...

#4967 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,854 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:20 AM

Why would you single out the garage man-cave though? That’s not relevant to the on-street parking issue.

#4968 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:22 AM

Why would you single out the garage man-cave though? That’s not relevant to the on-street parking issue.

Oh you don't see how two cars that now aren't in the garage and parked on the street is relevant?  I just used it as an example..  Trigger much?  There are a number of scenarios that add to on-street vehicle storage...

Edited by Ismo07, 06 July 2022 - 08:23 AM.

#4969 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,854 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:22 AM

Not really the same... There are some cities that have sold their parking to a private service and it doesn't work well for the public or for the city... It's been tried and failed... Arena operation is quite different as a single entity...

Which parkades work best?

City.
Atrium.
Broughton.

#4970 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:27 AM

Which parkades work best?

City.
Atrium.
Broughton.

What are you talking about?  Work best for what?  Broughton has 4 parkades...  Are you asking if private operates a parkade better than the City?  That answer depends on what the parkade is used for...

Edited by Ismo07, 06 July 2022 - 08:28 AM.

#4971 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,854 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:32 AM

Broughton private.

Price, security, safety, cleanliness.

Usage: parking a car.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 July 2022 - 08:33 AM.

#4972 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:35 AM

Most social housing has very little parking... It's a mistake to do so but that's how it's been.

You might want to check your source on that. Parking is one of the primary amenities of modern social housing.

Where are you finding it to have very little parking?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4973 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:38 AM

Equating office space that is paid for to parking in residential areas where it's really not.  Street parking is something that everyone believes they are entitled to, and it's simply not the case.  Everywhere where you see residential only signs there is competition for those spaces, it's the main reason they are there.

Yes, I already said that.

I also said that the competition is a symptom of failure of providing necessary commercial spaces by commercial operations, or spaces at public draws (parks, etc). The City is responsible for this allocation, but it has increasingly begun blessing the under-supply of parking contrary to its own regulations.

For the most part, there is zero competition for on-street parking in Victoria's residential neighbourhoods. It's only when you have commercial uses adjacent to residential areas that you see tension for on-street spaces, and that's a municipal failure of ensuring commercial nodes have adequate parking.

Know it all.

#4974 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:49 AM

You might want to check your source on that. Parking is one of the primary amenities of modern social housing.

Where are you finding it to have very little parking?

Anything that the City gets involved with... The hotel purchased along Gorge.  We actually built more housing over the parking lot and there are like 6 spaces on the property now.  The social housing on 800 Johnson doesn't allow for residents to park in the underground...  There are so many examples..  The newer joint across from the Arena has 0 spaces...  There is an incorrect thinking that people who need this housing do not own vehicles.

#4975 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:53 AM

Yes, I already said that.

I also said that the competition is a symptom of failure of providing necessary commercial spaces by commercial operations, or spaces at public draws (parks, etc). The City is responsible for this allocation, but it has increasingly begun blessing the under-supply of parking contrary to its own regulations.

For the most part, there is zero competition for on-street parking in Victoria's residential neighbourhoods. It's only when you have commercial uses adjacent to residential areas that you see tension for on-street spaces, and that's a municipal failure of ensuring commercial nodes have adequate parking.

It's mostly due to people who will not pay for parking and would rather walk 5-6 blocks if they can park for free.  It's not about a failure it's more about saving money for individuals who all believe they need their single occupancy vehicle when they commute.  The commercial use doesn't have to be adjacent.  I don't think you get this really..  there are many factors and you fail to includes more and more dwellings where there weren't in the first place...  You are trying to make this too simple, which it is not.

#4976 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:55 AM

Broughton private.

Price, security, safety, cleanliness.

Usage: parking a car.

Are you trying to say that the old Eaton's Parkade on Broughton is cheaper, provides better security, is safer and more clean than a City parkade?  And I appreciate the usage is parking a car but are you talking about a short-term stay vs a commuter?  Evening parking?  After midnight?  Why don't you tell me what you think?

#4977 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:00 AM

Anything that the City gets involved with... The hotel purchased along Gorge.  We actually built more housing over the parking lot and there are like 6 spaces on the property now.  The social housing on 800 Johnson doesn't allow for residents to park in the underground...  There are so many examples..  The newer joint across from the Arena has 0 spaces...  There is an incorrect thinking that people who need this housing do not own vehicles.

We're not talking about low-barrier housing facilities for individuals with severe drug addictions and living at or below the poverty line.

Know it all.

#4978 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:01 AM

It's mostly due to people who will not pay for parking and would rather walk 5-6 blocks if they can park for free.  It's not about a failure it's more about saving money for individuals who all believe they need their single occupancy vehicle when they commute.  The commercial use doesn't have to be adjacent.  I don't think you get this really..  there are many factors and you fail to includes more and more dwellings where there weren't in the first place...  You are trying to make this too simple, which it is not.

That's why we have residential-only restrictions.

It's very simple, and it works wonderfully.

Know it all.

#4979 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:13 AM

That's why we have residential-only restrictions.

It's very simple, and it works wonderfully.

I don't disagree that it works, not sure wonderfully is the right word... Many people don't think it works.  Some don't like to call and think the City should be monitoring these zones.  Again there is no perfect system but we are seeing more and more vehicles simply stored on City right of way.  I'm not sure it should be so.  Next we will try a 72 hour bylaw...  

#4980 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,854 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:21 AM

Do parks staff still get that “free” parking at the bottom of Cook?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 July 2022 - 09:21 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users