Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#5021 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,931 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 08:15 AM

CityNews Vancouver:

One person missing after Vancouver parking lot collapse

Vancouver Fire Chief Karen Fry confirmed the news this morning, after the rooftop parking lot collapsed along Lougheed Highway west of Boundary Road yesterday afternoon.

Fry says crews are on scene and continue to search for "one unaccounted for individual," adding the department has "specialized heavy equipment and structural collapse expertise doing everything they can."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...lapse-1.6521161

roof-collapse.JPG

https://www.google.c...!7i16384!8i8192

screenshot-www.google.com-2022.07.15-12_19_48.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 July 2022 - 08:20 AM.

#5022 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 08:32 AM

Can someone tell me why in the Broughton St. parkade, on the Courtney Street side, there are always three orange cones blocking some of the one-hour free spots? Yesterday there was a sign on one of the cones stating "please do not move these cones. That interferes with the car counter". Very annoying to go in there when all the other spots are full and have cones blocking spots. There are no cones on the Broughton St. side, where the spots are usually all taken. 

Those cones aren't blocking the spaces, or shouldn't be.  They are there to ensure vehicles drive over the loop for the vehicle counter.  In the past the City had curb stops there to guide vehicles through to the gate.  Now that it's gateless vehicles were drifting to the right and it was messing with the accurate count.  Other counter options are being looked at currently.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5023 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,931 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 12:08 PM

Block, do not: ‘Yoda’ message catches eye of Langford motorists

The bright red road warnings are meant to remind motorists to leave space for emergency vehicles

https://www.vicnews....ford-motorists/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 July 2022 - 12:08 PM.

• Ismo07 likes this

#5024 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 02:45 PM

Re those cones. Again yesterday when I visited the Broughton St. parkade, the first two One Hour Free spots were blocked. I actually had to get out and move the cone to park, as all the other spots were taken. Then I moved them back, then when I returned had to move them, then move them back! 

#5025 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,931 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 03:55 PM

CityNews Vancouver:

Family identifies person still unaccounted for in Vancouver parking lot collapse

Family members of Ben Sotelo have contacted CityNews, identifying him as the man unaccounted for in Thursday's parking lot collapse in East Vancouver.

A source with knowledge of the situation not authorized to speak on this matter has confirmed those details. A search of the scene is still under way.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 July 2022 - 03:55 PM.

#5026 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,931 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 11:42 AM

screenshot-victoriaexecutivesuites.ca-2022.07.26-15_40_35.png

Seems to me the City would be better off selling the Yates Parkade lot, and just insisting on 4 levels of underground public parking in whatever is built in its place.  That's pretty prime views for a parking structure.

That parking might be below sea level, don't know.  

How deep is the Broughton (library) parkade, Ismo?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 July 2022 - 11:44 AM.

#5027 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 12:04 PM

Seems to me the City would be better off selling the Yates Parkade lot, and just insisting on 4 levels of underground public parking in whatever is built in its place.  That's pretty prime views for a parking structure.

That parking might be below sea level, don't know.  

How deep is the Broughton (library) parkade, Ismo?

Under the Library might still be one of the biggest digs in the City...  3 floors deep...  4 floors in the Yates Parkade wouldn't be below sea level I don't believe...  It's quite a drop for the rest of Yates..  Might be close though.  Yates is 8 floors..  That's a lot of parking to lose.

Yes best view for people in the City.  I have a plan on paper to put another floor above the parking.  Could be used for events etc.  Add some compostable toilets etc.

Edited by Ismo07, 26 July 2022 - 12:05 PM.

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#5028 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 July 2022 - 12:21 PM

I have a plan on paper to put another floor above the parking.  Could be used for events etc.  Add some compostable toilets etc.

Big signs:  No dancing!

https://www.youtube....el=capncrunch10

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5029 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 12:29 PM

Big signs:  No dancing!

https://www.youtube....el=capncrunch10

Exactly, years ago we had an engineering report to see how many people could be up there as we were starting to use the top floor for events.  Without more supports on the floor below I think we could have 1,000 people on each tray but absolutely no undulating movements (dancing).  The roof top I would consider would be engineered as a space to allow for that, it wouldn't be another parking level but one for people.

#5030 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 07:52 PM

Went into the Broughton Square Parkade yesterday and got free parking.

We drove in, took a ticket, then when we left the booth was empty and a sign just instructed us to drive through.

Beauty.

• Matt R. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5031 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,931 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 03:41 AM

For years the back wall of Juan Gomez's parking booth on Gloucester Street was covered in keys, but these days the rows of hooks hang empty.

On Tuesday, a solitary set dangled from a hook near the bottom of board.

"I had maybe 80, 100 keys," The Capital Parking Inc. attendant recalled. "Now it's empty. It's nothing."

Lots and garages in central Ottawa report similar struggles, even one week into September. After more than two years of pandemic shutdowns and people working from home, one manager said his company is in "survival" mode, desperately hoping for government workers and others to return downtown.

"This has to change ... we have to see more people coming into the parking lot for us to be able to continue surviving," said Ramesh Abrol, with Advantage Parking Ltd.

"There is absolutely no profit. We are barely making ends meet right now."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...vival-1.6573840

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 September 2022 - 03:42 AM.

#5032 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 08:37 AM

For years the back wall of Juan Gomez's parking booth on Gloucester Street was covered in keys, but these days the rows of hooks hang empty.

On Tuesday, a solitary set dangled from a hook near the bottom of board.

"I had maybe 80, 100 keys," The Capital Parking Inc. attendant recalled. "Now it's empty. It's nothing."

Lots and garages in central Ottawa report similar struggles, even one week into September. After more than two years of pandemic shutdowns and people working from home, one manager said his company is in "survival" mode, desperately hoping for government workers and others to return downtown.

"This has to change ... we have to see more people coming into the parking lot for us to be able to continue surviving," said Ramesh Abrol, with Advantage Parking Ltd.

"There is absolutely no profit. We are barely making ends meet right now."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...vival-1.6573840

People love "working" from home...  I can't believe people still use valet parking, they might need to look at that business model.  Ottawa's downtown core isn't super lively either, it's mainly for business, similar to Calgary I think.

#5033 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,931 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 08:44 AM

People love "working" from home...  I can't believe people still use valet parking, they might need to look at that business model.  Ottawa's downtown core isn't super lively either, it's mainly for business, similar to Calgary I think.

I don't think it's always "valet".  In some big cities they jam the lot full.  So they sometimes have to move some cars to get others out, depending on timing.

screenshot-www.digitalconnectmag.com-2022.09.07-12_46_32.png

It works pretty well if most of the building leaves at the same time.  esp. government offices.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 September 2022 - 08:49 AM.

#5034 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 08:48 AM

I don't think it's always "valet".  In some big cities they jam the lot full.  So they sometimes have to move some cars to get others out, depending on timing.

That is really valet...  I don't believe that is Ottawa at any time...  Maybe...

Yeah I checked out that lot.. They certainly do need to stack them, so you give them your car with expected time to leave and they park it as needed.

Edited by Ismo07, 07 September 2022 - 08:55 AM.

#5035 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,931 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 08:50 AM

This is a Montreal lot:

3145620824_b4105d1663_b.jpg

#5036 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 08:52 AM

Heavy duty drones collect your car for you when needed.

#5037 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 09:52 AM

This is a Montreal lot:

3145620824_b4105d1663_b.jpg

That's 100% valet...  What the address?

#5038 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,931 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 11:18 AM

The small lots with a little shack. Tony directs you to park. He knows all the monthly parkers. Park as he directs you. Then give him your keys. Let him know if you are leaving the office early, he will direct you to park different likely. That’s how it happens all over with these lots.

#5039 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 11:59 AM

The small lots with a little shack. Tony directs you to park. He knows all the monthly parkers. Park as he directs you. Then give him your keys. Let him know if you are leaving the office early, he will direct you to park different likely. That’s how it happens all over with these lots.

I'd like to see a little more of it...  I'm guessing this is more event parking in this manner where most people leave at the same time, that couple getting into their vehicle got out of the show or hockey game early and will now wait in their car..  I'm not so sure regular folks directed to park will park in such a manner and in line like that..  People can barely do that on the street, but if you give me the address of something like that I will find out, Tony would do more than direct.

Edited by Ismo07, 07 September 2022 - 12:02 PM.

#5040 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,931 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 06:10 AM

The township doesn’t have a comprehensive guide to on-street parking, and its associated bylaw is nearing 30 years of age, meaning it doesn’t represent the community’s current and future needs.

Esquimalt says the parking regulations will also involve guidelines for new developments, bike facilitates, on-street time limits and more.

Households in the community take an average of 3.23 daily trips, with 61 per cent commuting in a private vehicle and 20 per cent walking or biking.

Issues arising during public engagement include capacity and compliance challenges in residential areas, improving access to active transportation and public transit, expanding the electric vehicle and e-bike charging network, and providing accessible parking.

The township says technology, human behaviour and climate goals influence how people choose to get around.

Two parking regulation open houses will be held on Sept. 21 from 1 to 3 p.m. and 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the Kanaka Room of the Esquimalt Recreation Centre.

https://www.vicnews....-parking-needs/

As to the bold part there.   Do you think climate goals really affect how people travel, at least very much?  I'll bet if you asked bicycle or pedestrian commuters most would say a healthy lifestlye would be their number 1 goal, maybe folowed by economics (less need for second car/gas etc.) and climate would be far down the list.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 September 2022 - 06:13 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users