Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#5241 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 March 2023 - 07:40 AM

Stop being a luddite and use the freaking app.

• Matt R. and GaryOak like this

#5242 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 05:02 AM

I dont carry a cell phone. 

• Nparker likes this

#5243 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 April 2023 - 07:25 AM

You don’t count. You don’t go downtown remember.
  • GaryOak and Victoria Watcher like this

#5244 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 06:51 PM

Another good reason not to go downtown, But in terms of parking the city should charge overnight parking for every street. A flat hundred a month would be a good start. Think of the money that could be raised. Encourage more people to get bicycles.

• GaryOak likes this

#5245 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:30 PM

Talked to the owner of Bosley's today. She stated that they have PetValu's legal department assessing Onni's parking fees. I haven't got confirmation yet, but rumor has it Jimmy Paterson's legal department is as well, but there upper management are being pretty tight lipped.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 04 April 2023 - 06:07 PM.

• Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#5246 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 07:30 PM

Yeah, odd. Victoria is too small a market to be an outlier like this.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5247 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 04:27 AM

Tofino — an internationally known tourist destination due to its proximity to spectacular West Coast beaches — is to introduce seasonal paid parking downtown, starting in May.

Visitor numbers surge during summer, filling up parking spaces.

Parking pressure creates “negative impacts for many residents, businesses, and visitors,” Tofino said in an information package for residents, who are being asked for feedback.

“In frequent cases, informal and poor parking habits resulted in reduced parking convenience/access to public spaces, infrastructure and vegetation damage, degraded road user safety, and high enforcement needs.”

Installing a pay-parking system is intended to increase vehicle turnover, freeing up more spaces. The idea is that each space would be used in 2.5-hour increments, Aaron Rodgers, Tofino’s director of public works and infrastructure, told council’s March 28 meeting.

This new system will bring a major change to some residents, who have been used to free street parking in front of their homes. Tofino council voted in favour of the parking plan but left room for public feedback to inform the final details.

Mayor Dan Law told council: “Parking has never been free,” adding it is paid for by taxpayers and grants. “This really is a way to put the cost of the infrastructure onto the people who use it.”

Tofino had a population of 2,516 in 2021, according to Statistics Canada. Pacific Rim National Park and other outdoor locations and activities have spurred its thriving tourism sector.

https://www.timescol...-months-6826599

Downtown residents would receive one free parking space per lot. A second permit for street parking would cost $250 per year. Municipal bylaws state that properties should have parking onsite, staff said.

Members of First Nations in the region can get parking permits from the municipal hall.

What does that mean?  Natives park free?  In recognition of their traditional parking ways?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 April 2023 - 04:29 AM.

#5248 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 06:26 AM

Just one more cost for taxpayers to cover during Justin's all too frequent visits.
  • Barrrister likes this

#5249 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 13 April 2023 - 02:33 PM

What does that mean?  Natives park free?  In recognition of their traditional parking ways?

Yeah many live on an island not too far so park in town.  I was there a couple years ago giving them my thoughts.  They have a couple parking lots they likely could assign but it's a little further away than the on-street area that is designated.  They cannot bring their cars to the island so it's kind of an issue.

#5250 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 13 April 2023 - 04:29 PM

I can’t bring my car to Piers or Sidney or James Island. But nobody gives me free parking back on the Peninsula.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 April 2023 - 04:30 PM.

• Barrrister likes this

#5251 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 08:08 AM

I can’t bring my car to Piers or Sidney or James Island. But nobody gives me free parking back on the Peninsula.

Yeah that's the same....

#5252 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 08:11 AM

I’m all in favour of some meaningful reconciliation. But it has to be defined. And have a completion date. The way this is being handled is not correct. Cede the band some land for their own parking lot, that would suit me. But not one set of rules for them and another for others.

#5253 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 08:14 AM

This is really just beginning to feel like vote buying.

#5254 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 08:15 AM

I’m all in favour of some meaningful reconciliation. But it has to be defined. And have a completion date. The way this is being handled is not correct. Cede the band some land for their own parking lot, that would suit me. But not one set of rules for them and another for others.

The Tofino parking stuff has been defined for many many years.  You are suggesting to remove it?  Yeah I already mentioned them using a parking lot.  There isn't much land as of now to do this.  They could purchase a couple old houses nearby but I think they rather have the land developed than be a parking lot.  It's working for the most part up there.  Not sure this is something to change out of sheer need for change.

#5255 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 08:20 AM

It has been free parking for all for many years. The new plan is no free parking for white people.

You can’t see how that’s problematic?
  • Barrrister likes this

#5256 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 08:24 AM

It has been free parking for all for many years. The new plan is no free parking for white people.

You can’t see how that’s problematic?

It's no free parking for non-residents of that island?  You sure do spin it...  Do you see how spin is problematic?  Even if they got land and used that for parking it would still be free for those residents...  Most cities offer permits for residents for certain reasons.

#5257 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 08:36 AM

Piers, Sidney, James. Where are the free permits?

#5258 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 08:37 AM

Piers, Sidney, James. Where are the free permits?

You'd have to talk to Sidney I suppose...  Are those islands part of Sidney?

#5259 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 08:41 AM

Piers is off North Saanich but is not part of the municipality.

I think they collectively own the parking compound.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 April 2023 - 08:56 AM.

#5260 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 07:32 AM

Victoria OKs 34-unit Jubilee project — with nine parking stalls

The project will have only nine parking stalls — the existing rules call for at least 36 stalls.

https://www.timescol...-stalls-6858568

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 April 2023 - 07:32 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users