Inter-city bus service & Victoria terminal

• Please log in to reply
465 replies to this topic

#181 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:30 AM

A bus won't receive approvals, but a rail line will?

Hmm...

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#182 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:36 AM

And the bus has failed to receive approval since they cannot "show passenger demand".  Wow, I bet the airlines wish they had a regulator to block competition.  What kind of archaic times are we living in?

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#183 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:37 AM

It's totally bizarre. Can't they argue that they will create demand?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#184 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:58 AM

Looks like they tried and failed.  They touted their connections to Vancouver, both via Victoria and Nanaimo and the new ferry.

It's bizarre in that while Wilson's is announcing their desire to operate, Greyhound is pulling out. Then you have Tofino Bus running the route, using Wilson's terminal, and Island Link that operates with no terminal here, just dumps and picks up in passenger zones where it can.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 February 2018 - 09:01 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#185 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:27 AM

I ultimately want to see a SKY TRAIN service built in Victoria.

A Line that runs from down town out to the west shore,  a line that runs out to the ferries, and a line that runs to Victoria East (u-Vic/Gordon Head)

#186 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:39 AM

A Line that runs from down town out to the west shore,  a line that runs out to the ferries, and a line that runs to Victoria East (u-Vic/Gordon Head)

Our population density does not support that, never will support that.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 February 2018 - 10:39 AM.

• johnk likes this

#187 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:41 AM

Er, you know how much we spent on the new Johnson Street Bridge? That's a lot of money, right? Well, that much money would buy about a couple of kilometres of Skytrain at best. 

Will never happen.

• Nparker likes this

#188 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:52 AM

I ultimately want to see a SKY TRAIN service built in Victoria...

And I want to be 25 again and look like Ryan Gosling, but just like a "sky train" in the CRD, that isn't ever going to happen.

• Midnightly likes this

#189 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:54 AM

Huh and today I just saw a Smith bus (owned by Wilson) with “Victoria” and “Greyhound” signs in the front window.

#190 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:09 AM

Does Tofino Bus have a new name yet? If so, please tell me it is
a) not just some guy's name (Bob, Bruce, etc.)
b) spelled phonetically using the Roman alphabet, without the use of numbers, breath stops, glottal stops and other unpronounceable gibberish

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#191 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:18 AM

Does Tofino Bus have a new name yet? If so, please tell me it is
a) not just some guy's name (Bob, Bruce, etc.)
b) spelled phonetically using the Roman alphabet, without the use of numbers, breath stops, glottal stops and other unpronounceable gibberish

Thanks for all the help and the laughs with our name suggestion campaign. As a small thank you when you book your bus trip for any time in 2018, you will save $5. Promo code is:" jeff " Make your bookings before Feb 15th http://www.tofinobus.com/

#192 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:12 PM

So no "official" name change then...

#193 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:48 PM

A bus won't receive approvals, but a rail line will?

Hmm...

Should I assume the bus will receive government subsidies and why it needs approvals?

If not, what the heck is up with all these approvals for a non subsidized private business to operate and create services and jobs?  Next think I know I will have to ask the government each day to drive my car and file a proposed route plan!

#194 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:49 PM

Er, you know how much we spent on the new Johnson Street Bridge? That's a lot of money, right? Well, that much money would buy about a couple of kilometres of Skytrain at best. 

Will never happen.

Couple of km? Bargoon!
We are getting, what, 150 metres of bridge for our $105+ million?

#195 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:49 PM

Our population density does not support that, never will support that.

Never say never

• tedward likes this

#196 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:52 PM

Couple of km? Bargoon!
We are getting, what, 150 metres of bridge for our $105+ million?

You must consider that most of the cost of the Bridge was additional fees and charges that accumulated do to screw ups and poor project management. The Actual cost to build it, if it had been managed properly from the get go would have likely sat around 70 million. Somewhere in the that ball park.

A sky train service is not out of the ball park for the future of Victoria. It only takes the right person (s) with the right vision to make it happen.

#197 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:06 PM

...A sky train service is not out of the ball park for the future of Victoria. It only takes the right person (s) with the right vision to make it happen.

And the right population with the right demographics; neither of which our region is anywhere close to having. The CRD will see its first IKEA (well second, actually) before it ever sees any light rail transit.

#198 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:09 PM

Never say never

We are simply not going to replace SFHs with more dense developments.  It just will not happen.  So we cannot expect a population boom around the region.  Certainly not the Peninsula.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 February 2018 - 02:10 PM.

#199 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:14 PM

We are simply not going to replace SFHs with more dense developments.  It just will not happen.  So we cannot expect a population boom around the region.  Certainly not the Peninsula.

Again, never say never.  I see how things are going, which is a talent to have if you are going to be in politics.

#200 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:35 PM

I wouldn't say never. It's not going to happen in the short or medium term, but 20 or 30 years from now? Who knows?
I think there are areas of SFHs that will be redeveloped with higher density. Particularly in Esquimalt, Vic West, Harris Green, and North Park.

There isn't the political will to rezone those areas (particularly N.Park) today, but I think we'll see it inside 20 years.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users