Photo

Inter-city bus service & Victoria terminal

• Please log in to reply
465 replies to this topic

#81 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:10 PM

The parcel/admin space issue shouldn't be a big deal, should it? The current building isn't exactly a warehouse. Methinks there are no end of convenient/available spaces for these functions somewhere between downtown Victoria and Uptown.

#82 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:11 PM

Why not Crystal Court?

#83 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:18 PM

VHF is right, the tourist info centre area is almost ideal for a ticket/info kiosk and passener pick-up/drop-off. You've got a washroom there, you're within walking distance of many hotels... methinks the traffic flow in the immediate vicinity is the only shortcoming but it's not a big one. I'd also suggest the conference centre as another good spot.

#84 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:25 PM

VHF is right, the tourist info centre area is almost ideal for a ticket/info kiosk and passener pick-up/drop-off. You've got a washroom there, you're within walking distance of many hotels... methinks the traffic flow in the immediate vicinity is the only shortcoming but it's not a big one. I'd also suggest the conference centre as another good spot.

The extra 5 minutes of driving should not be a big deal. Inbound it'd be right at Pandora, left down Wharf. Tourism agents double as ticket sellers. We are only talking 500 people a day at maximum peak.

Might even be an opportunity for a tourism bus operator to put on some up-Islabd bus tours.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#85 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

The bus companies would prefer to avoid the downtown core altogether. Navigating that last kilometre is a real drag. That's why the last proposals were for the Downtown/Rock Bay border and the lot opposite the Times Colonist on Douglas. Of course, that's more inconvenient for luggage-laden tourists staying near the harbour but the bus companies would rather wash their hands of them and send them off into cabs and shuttle buses.

#86 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:51 PM

The bus companies would prefer to avoid the downtown core altogether. Navigating that last kilometre is a real drag. That's why the last proposals were for the Downtown/Rock Bay border and the lot opposite the Times Colonist on Douglas. Of course, that's more inconvenient for luggage-laden tourists staying near the harbour but the bus companies would rather wash their hands of them and send them off into cabs and shuttle buses.

I agree a tiny bit. But to hell with the 4 minutes of having to turn a few corners. PCL ought to be selling day-trip packages, not looking for ways to to lose more customers.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#87 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:18 PM

I agree.

There is a ramp at each end of the lower parking lot, so some temporary parking could be found there. Handy to the float plane terminal, the visitor centre and a scenic view of our state of the art bridge.

#88 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:36 PM

I knew I had an old picture of the Rock Bay PCL proposal somewhere:

BusDepot.jpg

• Nparker and Bernard like this

#89 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:51 AM

I was just thinking.  When the bus terminal goes, why not install a long bus stop from Pandora to Fisgard on the east side of Government.  Then the bus companies could have a little office in Centennial Square (an existing spot, or add something to the side/back of the McPherson), and you have the public bathrooms there too.  The city could make some cash off the arrangement, to offset the security costs there.  There is also public seating all around, including some covered under the stage.  More could easily be added.

There is a coffee shop there as well as a general store that opens long hours.

coffee3.png

#90 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:06 AM

^How about further north, on the old site of the Victoria Brewery building?

https://www.google.c...elw!2e0!6m1!1e1

#91 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:27 AM

^How about further north, on the old site of the Victoria Brewery building?

https://www.google.c...elw!2e0!6m1!1e1

I'm trying not to reinvent the wheel.  We need less inter-city bus infrastructure not more.  We need seating, toilets, and at best a tiny office (we might not even need that with online payments).  And we have all that where I suggest.  Plus a coffee shop and general store.

#92 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:35 AM

A bit of shelter is nice when you are waiting for an inter-city bus, especially if you have luggage with you.

#93 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:42 AM

A bit of shelter is nice when you are waiting for an inter-city bus, especially if you have luggage with you.

I see lots of available shelter space here that is not used most of the year.

vka-generics-9886-jpg.jpg

#94 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:50 AM

The new plan will have buses pickup up on Douglas with an expanded bus zone in front of the Crystal Garden. And the new bus service provider taking over from PCL will have an office and small waiting room in the Crystal Gardens building.

#95 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:56 AM

The new plan will have buses pick-up up on Douglas with an expanded bus zone in front of the Crystal Garden. And the new bus service provider taking over from PCL will have an office and small waiting room in the Crystal Gardens building.

Sounds better than what we have now. I assume this will include Greyhound buses that service the Island as well as buses to the mainland.

#96 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:40 PM

Sounds better than what we have now. I assume this will include Greyhound buses that service the Island as well as buses to the mainland.

That's yet to be determined.  I refer only to the PCL replacement plan.  The new name for the service to Vancouver will be called something that reflects the nature of the service, like "cross-water" or similar.

#97 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:42 PM

VHF - is the new plan for PCL replacement outlined somewhere?  

Good to see Crystal Garden being used for transportation purpose...even if just a small office and waiting room.  Have always thought the Crystal Garden would make a great transportation centre/hub...at least this is a start.

#98 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:44 PM

VHF - is the new plan for PCL replacement outlined somewhere?  

I'm getting my info from a highly placed contact at Wilsons, who said it was OK to release it here.  Nothing online maybe.

#99 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:53 PM

I'm getting my info from a highly placed contact at Wilsons, who said it was OK to release it here.  Nothing online maybe.

Thanks for sharing!

#100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:32 AM

Victoria's new inter-city bus terminal will use existing street parking to load and unload passengers to and from up-Island and the Lower Mainland.

Stalls immediately in front of Crystal Garden will be the new location, and a small ticket office and waiting room will be installed in the building.

It was announced last year that the existing bus terminal was asked to vacate the current leased space on the Empress Hotel grounds.

Changes will take place in the New Year, and coincide with Wilson's Transportation taking over the trips to the lower Mainland, from current operator Pacific Coach Lines.

screenshot-www.google.ca 2015-11-30 07-19-02.png

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users