Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Oriental | Reno | Built - completed in 2011

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:30 PM

Looks like LeFevre Group is getting ready to develop a 30-unit 'all studio' condo project in the 500 block of Yates Street. The project will be called The Oriental and prices will start @ 144k.

#2 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:44 PM

I have heard that the inside of this building is very cool. I feel so grateful that Chris Lefevre has taken an interest in restoring old town in such a classy fashion.That whole block is looking so much better.

#3 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:48 PM

This is great news! Residential is a great use for many of the unused old town buildings. I hope the New England building gets done someday as well.

$144k is the lowest price for a residential unit in the city in years.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:50 PM

This is great news! Residential is a great use for many of the unused old town buildings. I hope the New England building gets done someday as well.

$144k is the lowest price for a residential unit in the city in years.

That does seem good. A lot of the 350-450 sq. ft. Mermaid Wharf suites sold for more than that recently.

BTW, want to rent one for $3750/mo.?

http://www.mermaidwharfvictoria.com/

This one is cheaper though:

http://www.victoria-...ental_rates.htm

#5 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

Lefevre is honouring the legacy of Michael Williams. Victoria could use more like him.

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:34 PM

That does seem good. A lot of the 350-450 sq. ft. Mermaid Wharf suites sold for more than that recently.

BTW, want to rent one for $3750/mo.?

http://www.mermaidwharfvictoria.com/

This one is cheaper though:

http://www.victoria-...ental_rates.htm

Those are pretty affordable for vacation rentals.

#7 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:02 AM

400 sq. ft. for $150,000
Redevelopment will create 30 condo units

By Carla Wilson, Times Colonist
October 2, 2009
http://www.timescolo...7777/story.html

Starter condos targeting first-time homebuyers are coming on the market now that a Victoria developer is converting one of downtown's earliest hotels into living space.

[...]

I have heard that the inside of this building is very cool. I feel so grateful that Chris Lefevre has taken an interest in restoring old town in such a classy fashion.That whole block is looking so much better.

well that side of that block looks a lot better, but the other side still has the parkade & the blank wall of that human resources building on the corner, which aren't very interesting to look at

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:22 AM

The entire north side of the 500-block of Yates is already unrecognizable with its recent string of redevelopments and new stores. Now all we need to do is spruce up the parkade in some way. Beam lights onto it at night, perhaps? Do something artsy with the exterior?

And just a reminder that we have new article posting guidelines in place.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:46 AM

I was just looking at this bldg yesterday when I was parking my car in the parkade. What caught my attention were the rust marks up on the top part of the facade. Clearly, it is one of the many cast iron building facades that we have around town. I always enjoy drawing a tourist's attention to a facade - usually at the Bard and Banker - and asking them to guess what material the bldg is made from. Then I rap on the column and point out the casting mark, and they are always amazed. Same thing on the facades along Wharf St. (S. of Bastion Square).
Yes, the storefronts on the north side of this block of Yates are getting pretty upscale. A bit too much granite for my taste (this is not, after all, Oxford St.), but I guess the granite is set off by the granola cedar shakes on the Sitka store (which is not only wrong in terms of materials, but the proportion of the text vis-a-vis the size of the background/frame is totally wrong.)

Yes, floodlighting or animated neon tubing on the parkade would be fantastic. Ideas like this came up at the city's public art forum on tuesday evening.
Pieta VanDyke

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:16 PM

I like the Sitka facade, it brings a bit of whimsy to the street.

#11 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:12 PM

Some insight from another website:

TC front page pumping $150K closets in lower Yates derilict buildings. Firstly, would you want to live in an ancient brick building with the threat of earthquakes all around ? and how the hell does one live in 400 Sq. Ft. and be a "happy owner" ? Not to mention the old ghosts haunting those digs...creepy !

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:25 PM

Sounds like a good deal. I mean every other development charges a premium for haunts.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:48 PM

Actually I'm seriously tempted by those units. They are so cheap and it would be less than two blocks from my work.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#14 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:22 PM

They'd make great offices, or local crash pads for those Vancouver-based civil servants and consultants....
or the wait-staff that work in the Lucky, so they won't be complaining about the noise... ;-)
Pieta VanDyke

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:04 AM

Actually I'm seriously tempted by those units. They are so cheap and it would be less than two blocks from my work.

The $150k units will be snapped up instantly.

Know it all.

#16 Tweek

Tweek
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:53 PM

I was poking around at the MLS listings downtown today and came upon a listing for this development. The website is here:

http://www.lefevregr...ntal/index.html

The prices are a far cry from the $150,000 starting price advertised back in 2009 — $227k - $369k is the price range on the website.

#17 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:27 AM

The Oriental and Churchill developments are very near to completion.

http://www.timescolo...7886/story.html

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:25 PM

This project is now 60% sold out.

Know it all.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

The Oriental already has occupancy, and indeed occupants.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:27 AM

Looks like they have just one unit left.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users