Wood fireplaces, chimney sweeps in Victoria, and related discussions

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:48 PM

In this age of fake natural gas fireplaces, a real roaring hearth is something of a rarity. For those that have wood-burning fireplaces, who cleans it for you? Would you recommend them?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:57 PM

Great question as we need ours done as well

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:02 PM

Dick Van Dyke's all booked up.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#4 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:39 AM

If Amos & Andy are still around, I bet they've change their logo.

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,461 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:48 PM

My condo council has been using "Fiddler on the roof" for quite come time now. As I don't use my fireplace I don't have any first hand experience with them, but if there were any big problems I'm sure council would have switched to someone else by now.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:42 PM

The property management companies I have worked for use "New Age Chimney Sweeps".

#7 North Shore

North Shore
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:04 AM

Sorry, fresh out of 12 year old street urchins!;)
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:04 AM

Hmm. No consensus yet but at least there's no horror stories. I'm working on the street urchin concept.

My condo council has been using "Fiddler on the roof" for quite come time now.

Condo fireplaces were a brief phenomenon in the seventies/early eighties. I think there were some in those funky 70s loft townhouses on Alder off Cloverdale.

#9 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,461 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:57 PM

Hmm. No consensus yet but at least there's no horror stories. I'm working on the street urchin concept.

Condo fireplaces were a brief phenomenon in the seventies/early eighties. I think there were some in those funky 70s loft townhouses on Alder off Cloverdale.

Nope, that's not my building :P

I might actually use mine if it wasn't angled away from the living area and towards the TV :P

(click for bigger)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:00 PM

Nope, that's not my building :P

I might actually use mine if it wasn't angled away from the living area and towards the TV :P

(click for bigger)

That looks like a full-time Twister carpet...

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,461 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:11 PM

Can't say I have ever played twister on it

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:14 PM

Can't say I have ever played twister on it

Twister never was a game of strategy, like RISK, or intellect, like Clue. It was/is just an excuse to grope.

[Edited by admin.]

#13 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,461 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:22 PM

They don't look like chimney sweepers :confused:

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,437 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:17 PM

In reference to local red and yellow cedar expert John Russell's passing:

Yellow cedar is wonderful softwood to have as part of your seasoned firewood stash. It sure smells different from red cedar though, holy smokes, but it burns hotter like a hardwood so it’s in high demand. That is, if you can handle the smell. It’s also more laborious to acquire as it tends to grow at much higher elevations which can be tougher to access and totally unreachable in the winter months.

...because the more you know...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:14 PM

What are your thoughts on burning arbutus, Mike?

Matt.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,437 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:26 AM

Some of the best wood you can burn if you come across it, but it’s very rare. Maple and oak are your friends too from a BTU perpective (but again, only if properly seasoned). You might also hear of arbutus referred to as madrona.

Once you start burning with hardwoods you really should invest in a moisture meter as it can take 12-18 months to properly season your split pieces. Softwood can be ready to go in six to eight months.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:18 AM

I like alder for what its worth since it doesn't spit and the heat is pretty decent

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,437 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:41 AM

Alder is the lowest on the local BTU scale, so if someone's selling it to you as firewood you might want to rethink if you're getting your money's worth.

It's great for hearths and cosmetic burning if you have a secondary heat source as it produces very, very little heat. In terms of BTU's of hardwood you need to burn 2x red alder to generate the heat of 1x oak.

Literally every single softwood that we can source locally will produce more heat than alder, and generally hardwoods are more desirable as they burn hotter, slower and you don't need as much of the wood per season.

Know it all.

#19 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:46 AM

People who burn wood to heat their urban homes and make their neighbourhood smell like a campground day in and day out should be sent away for reeducation. 

• nerka likes this

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,437 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:00 AM

Depends on what came first. The wood fireplace or the whiney neighbour?

All jokes aside, if someone is creating a lot of smoke they're not burning properly. Many older homes aren't setup with the latest technology in wood burning, and quite honestly, if you're using a half decent wood insert the amount of smoke/smell is extremely small. In fact by the time a good insert gets going and the fire is slow burning you can't even tell there's wood being burned unless you stare at the chimney and squint your eyes a little.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users