• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,540 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:09 AM

Think of it this way, jonny.

Are sedans terrible vehicles in urban areas? Yes/no?

They probably are if they're 1960's models that guzzle gas, stink and make a racket. But they probably go unnoticed when they're a newer model with ultra-efficient technology.

It's the same with wood fireplaces. Saying people who burn wood for heat should be "reeducated" shows how little awareness there actually is regarding wood burning technology and how it has advanced since the stone age. So while 50 neighbours around you are burning wood, two with old fireplaces and no idea how to properly burn wood for heat are creating the campfire smell you refer to. 

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:19 AM

All we see from our stack is some heat waves if you look real close.

I’m not interested in splitting rounds and seasoning my own wood, but we may end up with this 80ft fir that fell on my neighbours garage, or part of it.

There is a source for cords of arbutus here, I’m sure it’s well seasoned. The seller is a pro. I think I’ll buy one for next year to supplement what we currently have. He’s usually $350-400 a cord but we are all expecting a drop this season due to all the windfall.

Matt.

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,540 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:27 AM

Don't assume firewood is ever seasoned unless you're yourself a pro at identifying its particulars. Seasoned can mean just about anything, and if you're none the wiser you might end up buying seasoned firewood that's six months away from being suitable for burning. So you're A) paying top dollar for something that B) won't produce as much heat as it should and C) will smoke like a bush fire.

I have to admit I don't know how the pricing will be affected on Vancouver Island after the storm as the wood still has to be harvested, it still has to be split, it still has to be seasoned, etc, and eventually delivered. On Saltspring though you guys might have a huge oversupply in a very small and captive market and that should help you out price-wise, for sure.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:37 AM

So much word of mouth here. If people are selling poor quality wood you hear about it right away. My arbutus connection is someone I’ve had a business relationship with for more than five years, is a very loyal customer and lives three houses up the road from work. He’s not going to sell me something inferior.

Matt.

#25 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:42 AM

Salt Spring Islander in his 20s: "My weed guy..."

Salt Spring Islander in his 40s: "My firewood guy..."

• Matt R., Bob Fugger, jonny and 2 others like this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#26 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:43 AM

He’s also my apple juice guy. :)

Matt.
  • Bob Fugger likes this

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,540 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:53 AM

I thought I was the apple juice guy?

Know it all.

#28 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:31 AM

Most woodstoves and inserts sold today incorporate a "secondary burn". This design has been around for at least 25 years. I bought a Pacific Energy airtight insert in the early 90s that used it. Along with the primary air feed, there is another higher up and on the backside of the fire. This causes the the gas and smoke to reignite above the main fire creating more heat and greatly reducing the emissions going up the chimney. You could hardly see or smell any smoke when that thing got rocking. I've got tons of alders on my property (friggin' weeds!). It's not bad to burn if you mix it up with some fir. Ideally, I like to light the fire with some red cedar, get her burning good with a fir/alder mix, then damp it down and toss on a big chunk of hardwood and just let it simmer.

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,540 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:35 AM

Yeah, that's more or less what I do, too. Red cedar to get it going and then burn with a mix of fir/pine with some alder if I've got it (I actually quite like it as its easy to split and the rounds are small). Instead of hardwood I usually use an older chunk of fir or pine to keep the heat going. If you can source relatively old (as in a big tree) softwood it burns quite long.

Know it all.

#30 nagel

nagel
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:39 AM

I got a new smashy stick for XMAS.  8 pound Fiskars maul.  Heavy as F so I can't flick it like I could the 6 pounder, but wow that thing hits like Bobby Brown.

One of my hobbies is collecting free wood, but then it's always next year wood.  Had a good time finding rounds after the wind storm.  Cannot believe how heavy oak is.

• Mike K. likes this

#31 nerka

nerka
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:10 PM

People who burn wood to heat their urban homes and make their neighbourhood smell like a campground day in and day out should be sent away for reeducation. 

Victoria isn't even that bad on the smoke front. Cumberland, Courtenay and parts of the Cowichan Vallley are pretty thick with wood smoke on many winter days.

Think of it as second hand smoke minus the nicotine.

#32 nerka

nerka
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:18 PM

It's the same with wood fireplaces. Saying people who burn wood for heat should be "reeducated" shows how little awareness there actually is regarding wood burning technology and how it has advanced since the stone age. So while 50 neighbours around you are burning wood, two with old fireplaces and no idea how to properly burn wood for heat are creating the campfire smell you refer to. 

New stoves are dramatically better than the ones from 25 years ago. Unfortunately idiots that burn wet wood or garbage can still make their EPA certified stoves smoke excessively.

Personally I wouldn't heat with wood in the city. I just don't think it is that considerate to neighbours who might be more sensitive than me to wood smoke.  Different story if you live in the country on an acreage. Then you'd be crazy NOT to have a wood stove.

Our family has a little cabin that's heated with the smallest stove model that Pacific Energy makes.  We burn hyper-seasoned DF and alder and that thing virtually never smokes visibly.

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,540 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:24 PM

Do people actually burn garbage in their fireplace inserts???

Know it all.

#34 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:15 PM

My grandma used to burn Pres-To-Logs in the fireplace. Bought in bulk from Lumberworld. 

In the past a lot of Victoria homes had an incinerator in the backyard for garbage. Like a big oil barrel. 

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#35 nerka

nerka
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:47 PM

Sadly yes. I smell it in the air in a few spots in my neighbourhood. One is near the Fairfield Thrifty's.

I know the smell because in the not so good old days I used to be responsible for burning the family garbage in a burn barrel (out in the toolies where we lived - not in the city).

I assume they are not burning it outside as most neighbours would report that PDQ. Also I assume only a tiny minority are stupid and inconsiderate enough to burn garbage in the city

Edited by nerka, 03 January 2019 - 11:50 PM.

#36 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:55 AM

Popular on salt spring to burn the compressed sawdust blocks. No filler, just wood waste pressed into a brick. I’ve heard they burn very well, and of course are easy to stack. The local country grocer sells them by the pallet at times. Made in chemainus!

Matt.

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,540 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:57 AM

Wow. That’s nuts.

You know it’s not the folks with efficient inserts (or shouldn’t be) as burning anything other than wood and paper (and select organic matter as a fire starter) voids your warranty, many of which are lifetime or quite extended. Residues from plastics in particular are easy to spot.

Know it all.

#38 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:56 AM

Was that in reply to me? These blocks are just wood. No filler.

Matt

#39 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:27 AM

Popular on salt spring to burn the compressed sawdust blocks. No filler, just wood waste pressed into a brick. I’ve heard they burn very well, and of course are easy to stack. The local country grocer sells them by the pallet at times. Made in chemainus!

Matt.

http://www.wescondoors.com/firebricks/

#40 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:45 AM

^^^ yes people still burn garbage.  Here on Gabe, it is quite obvious that 2 of our neighbours burn garbage and wet wood in their fireplaces and then dampen down.  The stench makes for going outside almost impossible.  When there is little wind the acrid smoke just hangs in the trees.  

One of our other neighbours has good burning habits, hot fire with seasoned wood, zero smoke, zero smell.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users