• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,402 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:27 AM

Yikes. There you have it.

I should also note that the $300/cord calculations tend to take into account a 75% efficiency rate. Modern stoves are pushing 85%. In terms of BTU’s wood is actually higher than gas even among softwoods. Much higher among hardwoods. For $300/cord you’re way ahead but it all depends on how much you need and for how long. Everyone’s mileage varies.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#62 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:23 PM

No gas option where I am at any price. Propane is common on salt spring, as are power outages.

What’s a heat pump installed these days, $10,000?

We spent $2300 on a nice wood stove and it’s already proved it’s worth.

Matt.

#63 nerka

nerka
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:23 PM

Interesting.

I'm heat pump primary with wood as my backup.  I like to live risky.

That's actually a logical model. I'm not crazy about wood heat in the city but it is an excellent backup.

#64 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,623 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:43 PM

What’s a heat pump installed these days, $10,000?

We just put a ductless split with 2 remote heads in the Garagemahal for $7,300,

#65 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 173 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:18 PM

We have a mini split heat pump & a small propane fireplace on the living level with electric baseboard on bedroom level.   During our power outage the fireplace kept us warm enough though it was getting pretty chilly downstairs on the bedroom level by about day 5.

Our heat pump cost us $3,500 (3 years ago) installed through Gabe Energy & then we got an $800 rebate from BC Hydro & another cheque from them when our usage went down more than 10% the following year.  

#66 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,402 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:11 AM

Golden rule: if you heat your home with firewood, make sure you order firewood in the spring and not in the winter. And no, 90% of the time when some dude on Craigslist is selling "dry" firewood in December, it's not dry. Far from it.

I'm getting phone call after phone call from friends frantically searching for a source of dry firewood. In December.

This is not the time to be securing firewood if you want a seasoned supply for this winter. You missed the boat in, oh, I dunno, April? I saw this last year as well.

"Dude, where did you get your dry firewood? I need two cords for this winter, stat!"

"I got mine from the firewood fairy ...in April. Back when I told you to get yours."

"Yeah, but, what do you mean?"

Unfortunately many people will fall victim to false advertising and spend top dollar for seasoned firewood that is still months away from being dry enough to produce sufficient heat.

The best thing you can do now if you're caught in a bind is buy a cord of unseasoned wood, store it properly right away, and hope that come February or March it'll be nearly seasoned. Or better yet, start planning this year for next. Don't get caught searching for your heat supply when you need it most.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#67 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:54 AM

No kidding. We get the chimney sweep in in the summer before he’s busy, he gives us a break on price and man oh man this arbutus is burning nicely, but I don’t think we’ll buy it again.

Matt.

#68 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,402 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:17 AM

I've been following some of the local firewood listings in recent weeks, keeping tabs on who has what just to help my friends get their supply, etc.

I saw one guy list his supply as being from trees that have been down for three years. Then he changed it to two years. Then he changed what the wood supply actually was, etc. Magic!

Why won't you continue on with arbutus? Is the price difference not worth it? Was it not properly seasoned (it takes 18-24 months sometimes)?

Know it all.

#69 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:44 AM

Seasoning is fine, price was ok, but having two wood piles, rotating it, it’s a bit more work to split, just doesn’t add up. I’ll wait until March to make a decision.

Matt.

#70 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,402 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:59 AM

Oh yeah, very good.

I've created a new wood pile that I use when an opportunity presents itself. Never have to rotate old and new, I just identify them and go from there  :cheers:

Know it all.

#71 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:51 PM

We were thinking of doing the same - the building where we store our wood is already divided in sections, but the other side is just right for parking my wife’s Prius, which of course she never parks there because it’s full of housing materials or scouts/guides gear.. lol

The idea was to start buying green wood and seasoning it ourselves to save a few bucks and just move from pile to pile.

I am loving the $300 hydro bills and the nice dry wood heat. I would have a hard time going back.

Matt.

#72 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,402 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 02:06 PM

Find a level spot, put down three pallets, load up a couple of cords, and put a tarp over the top. Instant wood pile with great air flow. It can look as tidy or as redneck as you like.

Know it all.

#73 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,623 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:36 PM

I am a sucker for a fire even though we have a geo-thermal heat pump system. There is something about an indoor flame that makes the winter more enjoyable.

A356ACC0-54CC-4EE7-9DD8-28DDC27C5292.jpeg
  • sebberry likes this

#74 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,623 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:55 PM

There is always someone wanting to get rid of firewood on used Victoria

This just up

https://www.usedvict...rewood_35037503

#75 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:22 PM

Find a level spot, put down three pallets, load up a couple of cords, and put a tarp over the top. Instant wood pile with great air flow. It can look as tidy or as redneck as you like.

No, I’d rather it be near the door and if it’s not in the woodshed then it’s in the driveway. No good. We have ample space, it could be organized a bit better if we needed two wood piles.

Matt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users