Photo

Job Possibilities

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JustJoy

JustJoy
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:35 PM

Hello... I've been gone from my home city of Victoria for 20 years now, and I'd like very much to return. Can anybody give me an idea of how bad the job market is now? Between my husband and myself we're fairly versatile when it comes to job skills.. any tips, hints -- or general comments would be very much appreciated.

#2 phx

phx
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:08 PM

The job market is not as good as it was during the labour shortage, two years ago.

Where are you curently?

#3 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

Public sector is not hiring.

Private sector is hiring but is very selective and cost aware at the moment.

Lost of people applying now for most jobs so you need to network and make a positive impression early on. Victoria is still as "small" as it was 20 years ago!

#4 JustJoy

JustJoy
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:03 PM

Thank you Spanky and PHX -- that's what I was scared of. PHX I'm in Edmonton... and getting tired of winters... I'm hoping to be outta here in two years or so.. my area of employment lies in the media (radio) or police environment. (civilian) hopefully things will improve! I can only take so much of these minus 40 winters!

#5 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:22 PM

JJ, as noted the local market is tight; depending on your skills there are positions but usually requiring specific skill sets. In IT (my area) I just hired a contract project manager. As mentioned however he has a very specific skill set along with prior knowledge of our environment. I'm also looking to hire an architect and data analyst for our Vancouver office; again both require very specialized skills.

My partner is a recruiter/headhunter and I know from discussions with her it's 'essentially dead' out there right now (her words). She typically hires admin/HR/accounting staff. As always getting out there to networking events is solid advice. Making contact with people already in the workforce often leads to information about positions that are almost never posted publicly. My .2....

#6 JustJoy

JustJoy
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:26 PM

Thanks much AllSeeingEye -- I'm hoping it improves in two years, or less... or I get very lucky!

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:01 PM

...workforce often leads to information about positions that are almost never posted publicly. My .2....

Don't you mean .02? Hope you are not in accounting.... :o:):)

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:20 PM

Really it should be 2.0 because one would mean .2 of a cent and the other would be .02 of a cent.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:30 PM

Really it should be 2.0 because one would mean .2 of a cent and the other would be .02 of a cent.

He didn't use the word "cent" at all so I assumed he was talking about a percentage of a dollar. ie. he said "My .2" and I deem he meant "My .02" or, if you prefer, your "My 2.0 cents".

#10 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:06 PM

You guys are killing me (no I'm not an accountant!). Properly I believe it should be expressed ".02" and Yes I am referring to CENTS. Sheesh... :D

JJ naturally no once can say for certain what it will look like in 2 years, however I hope I am correct in saying it won't or can't be worse than now. There are positions but in this town more than most who you know counts for as much as what, and no more so than in these interesting economic times.

Rick

#11 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:57 PM

What about inflation?
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users