BUILT
Duet (east)
Use: condo
Address: 640 Michigan Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 8
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, penthouse)
Sales status: now selling
Duet is a two building, 90 unit condo development in Victoria's James Bay neighbourhood.

Duet (east), an ei... (view full profile)
Learn more about Duet (east) on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] Duet | Condos | 8- & 4-storeys | Built - completed in 2014

Condo

• Please log in to reply
325 replies to this topic

#61 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

We've received a response from Chard Development about the optics of the Spanish definition of the word pavo.

In a nutshell, the marketing team is aware of the definition and feels that the project's location in relation to Beacon Hill, the park's peacocks and the definition of the word (or as a prefix) in most other languages will overcome the Spanish definition, which would need to be "pavo real" (pr. ree-ell) to translate to peacock. If the definition becomes an issue the marketing team will employ a sense of humour to overcome the Spanish translation.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#62 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

I love that Chard has been monitoring VV for feedback. BTW despite any negative aspects to the name I support the Chard 100% in this development. I would have loved to see a bit more density of course, but I think they have proposed the right project for this location. It's a nice transition from the firehall to the east to the taller buildings of JB proper.

#63 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

Dear Marko

Thank you for your recent registration for Chard Development’s upcoming James Bay project.

We are making an important change to the project - its name - and we wanted to share this news with you immediately.

Over the past decade Chard has focused on developing in Victoria. It’s where we’ve completed three projects and have another under construction, a dynamic city where we’re proud to have made a difference. But Victoria is also a part of a bigger world – there are influences and people from everywhere here. There are many languages spoken; there are a multitude of opinions. Some of those languages and opinions have been brought to bear on our choice of name for our latest project on Michigan Street.

We were charmed by our proximity to the park, and to the park’s proudest residents, the peacocks. As marketers, we sought the essence of peacock, which is 'Pavo' in Latin. Unfortunately, Pavo means other things besides peacock. In Spanish, it means turkey. We knew this, but thought the peacock would win out. The larger world that is Victoria taught us differently.

Not wishing to, well, lay an egg, we’ve reconsidered. And rebranded. The project at 640 Michigan Street is alive and well. The Pavo name is not. Our rebranding will be complete in the next few days. And you’ll be the first to know.

Thank you again for your interest. We look forward to telling you all about this very special James Bay project which we are as proud of as, well……. a certain bird we know.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#64 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

I think this was much ado about nothing.

#65 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

I think this was much ado about nothing.

That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet, right?

I can understand the marketing team (Hi, guys; sorry about all this) trying to steer away from Spanish, but recall Chard's initial project, the very Spanish sounding Corazon.

But that's the risk when you use finicky technologies like the Condo Name Generator and its related devices.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#66 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

640 Michigan makes me think of some yokel in a rowboat on a backwoods lake, listening to an old AM radio while he's fishing.

Not really.

Maybe I just feel like turkeys are getting a bum rap. I remember a pull-out from an old National Geographic (I think) that compared the speeds of various animals. That turkey was leaving the cheetah in its dust. They can run fast, they can fly very fast, and they're magnificent birds. They just don't get good PR.

#67 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

Plus turkeys are delicious, low in fat and high in protein!

#68 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

640 Michigan makes me think of some yokel in a rowboat on a backwoods lake, listening to an old AM radio while he's fishing.

Not really.

Maybe I just feel like turkeys are getting a bum rap. I remember a pull-out from an old National Geographic (I think) that compared the speeds of various animals. That turkey was leaving the cheetah in its dust. They can run fast, they can fly very fast, and they're magnificent birds. They just don't get good PR.

Actually they run about 1/3 to 1/2 as fast as a cheetah and are mid range in flight speed.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#69 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

They just don't get good PR.

Actually they run about 1/3 to 1/2 as fast as a cheetah and are mid range in flight speed.

See!
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#70 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

LJ can arrange for the class action suit against National Geographic. The illustration was comparing various running and flying animals. The turkey was flying, I'm pretty sure. The Cheetah was not. I'm thinking the issue in question would have been published in the late 1970s. Maybe a bit later.

Cornell Lab of Ornithology says 60 miles per hour for the wild turkey. That's definitely faster than your average condo building can fly.

#71 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

You know, you might be right. The cheetah might have been ahead of the turkey in that illustration. I honestly can't remember, but back then it seemed to be more popular to claim cheetah speeds on the high side. That was before the whole "cheetah/cheater" scandal that tainted the '84 Serengeti games.

#72 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

LJ can arrange for the class action suit against National Geographic. The illustration was comparing various running and flying animals. The turkey was flying, I'm pretty sure. The Cheetah was not. I'm thinking the issue in question would have been published in the late 1970s. Maybe a bit later.

Cornell Lab of Ornithology says 60 miles per hour for the wild turkey. That's definitely faster than your average condo building can fly.

My detailed study of the subject reveals wild turkeys can achieve flight speeds of 28-42mph.

Cheetahs can run at speeds up to 75mph, accelerating from 0-60mph in 3 seconds.

Consider the matter closed!!!;)
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#73 Candarius

Candarius
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

As a kid I remember seeing a straight line competition race between a horse (quarterhorse with rider) cheetah and a sports car.

It was not even close...

The horse won.

Of course, the cheetah ran sideways a little bit at first to get away from the car noise...but as a kid who KNEW that cheetahs were the fastest land animal I was gobsmacked! The cheetah would have caught the horse had the course been longer, and the car would have won over a much longer distance...but it was fun to watch :-)

(and finding out the many meanings of a word after you use it is always amusing. As someone fluent in English and Gibberish only I love finding out what words mean in different languages)

#74 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

March 11th, 2012.

Looks like some of the units will have nice views of the Parliament Buildings.

#75 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

640 Michigan was initially called Pavo, now it's called Duet.

Duet's website is at http://www.duetvictoria.com/

Please tell me there are no oddball translations of the word duet?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#76 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

Pavo only had any cachet if you knew what it means in Spanish (or was that the turkey). I don't know that language, so to me it was just a weird word that doesn't even sound interesting, and people wouldn't know how to pronounce it.

Duet, for a 2 bldg complex, makes sense.
Pieta VanDyke

#77 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

I like the orange website theme.

#78 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

Meh.

#79 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

Marketing/Sales will start in mid-April

#80 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

So I forget which other lot did Chard buy? If he keeps to his pace we should start seeing plans for it in about 10- 14 months...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users