[Fairfield] Farifield Rise | 4-storeys | Built - completed in March 2011

Condo

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#1 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:05 AM

This one came out of nowhere. I need to go back to the site to find the developer. (There's a sign.)

Fairfieldrise.jpg
Fairfield at Arnold.
That strange looking law office has been torn down already, and I would say excavation will begin soon. It must have already had the zoning for it because I don't remember seeing any rezoning sign.

3 story townhomes.

The rendering looks hideous. Will take pics.

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:30 AM

I liked that quirky little law office.

Is there a prize if it looks like the Irish version?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:57 AM

Did that law office used to be a church? I've never seen that architecture outside of old churches from that era. And yeah, I'll miss that little building too. Will be nice to get the density of 3 story town houses, but I hope they aren't as horrible looking as you say :(
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:39 PM

Yeah, it looked like it used to be a church.

The rendering makes it look similar to the new mixed use on Fairfield @ Irving.

#5 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:43 PM

I hope google street view caught that old building before it was torn down. It would be good to have that one in the archives.

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 04:49 PM

#7 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 04:51 PM

Could be 4 stories I guess. I was assuming the parking would be underground. Hard to tell.

Prices from mid-400s.

Website is fairfieldrise.com, not .ca. Takes you to some dude's personal website. My guess is these guys aren't too experienced.

#8 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:31 AM

It's a shame to see commercial space in a residential neighbourhood disappear. Or is there commercial space on the ground floor of this project?

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:35 AM

Website is fairfieldrise.com, not .ca. Takes you to some dude's personal website. My guess is these guys aren't too experienced.

Dwayne Peleshaty has been in the development business for some time. Mostly up-Island.

#10 B.Bridge

B.Bridge
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:22 PM

I was assuming Ross House had purchased the land, which would have been a pretty significant restoration and addition to the original gardens.
Seems like a pretty big boxy structure for the neighbourhood.

#11 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:22 PM

The rendering on the website looks like it was coloured in by hand. From the rendering it looks like the kind of development you'd have seen in Hillside in the early 90's...

#12 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:32 PM

Whatever it going to look like, I think it's a crying shame that it'll have car ports over underground parking. (The more I look at the rendering, the more I think it's car port - making it 4 stories.)

This one really makes me nervous. It's going to stick out like crazy with it being on a tiny lot surrounded by single family. It better have a quality exterior finishing. But its shape isn't very promising.

There's a lot of very modern buildings going up in the area, and I think that's great. But modern looks just terrible if it's put together cheaply.

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:35 PM

From what it looks like, it might be brick and cedar, which could look good, I guess.

I guess its uninspired boxy design is the thing that's really troubling me.
I looks like a shoe box with wings and the rendering online isn't reassuring either. Love the marker for the roof.

#14 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:52 PM

Looks like yet another packing crate with windows.

#15 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:08 PM

From what it looks like, it might be brick and cedar, which could look good, I guess.

I guess its uninspired boxy design is the thing that's really troubling me.
I looks like a shoe box with wings and the rendering online isn't reassuring either. Love the marker for the roof.

Can somebody explain to me the purpose of a Juliet balcony on a suburban buildng? Or even in general?

This building is another missed opportunity.

#16 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:32 PM

My guess is that those are full balconies. It's just the 2D that gives the impression of a Juliet Balcony.

#17 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:40 PM

My guess is that those are full balconies. It's just the 2D that gives the impression of a Juliet Balcony.

No, it's the top floor balconies and how they contrast the ones on the other floor that suggests to me that those ones are Juliets.

#18 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:22 PM

I'll bet you a case of Lucky.

#19 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:45 PM

I'll bet you a case of Lucky.

I'd say you're on, but I assume the mods would get pissed at us for gambling for booze in a public thread. ;)

#20 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:07 PM

Agree, the rendering looks less than promising.

It's also too bad that the development is going right next door to the Ross Bay Villa, which the Land Conservancy has been fixing up for years and years and is finally nearly done with.

Its new neighbor should be of high quality, not something uninspired.

Well, maybe the drawing is worse than the result?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users