• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#121 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

This might be a good time to remind people in the business of marketing million dollar properties that the red squiggly line does not mean "awesome word!", it means "backspace and try again".

Clearly the developer is red/green colourblind. Have you seen the green side of that building? :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#122 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

I just noticed the ad says "SOLD". I wonder what will happen to it...

#123 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

There is a listing on Used Victoria for the Fairfield Rise: $3,500,000 for the whole building.

I wouldn't have thought Used Victoria to be effective for something like that.

Perhaps we'll see the suites on Groupon next?

I clicked on the link and the status says "sold" ???

I get a kick out of the wording where it says the vendor will take "developing land" (is that even a proper phrase?) in trade. ???

So let me get this straight....a guy who builds a building like this and can't sell any of the units at HIS price point, wants to sell the whole thing.....all at once.... and take land in trade so he can do it again????

Geezus.

#124 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

I get a kick out of the wording where it says the vendor will take "developing land" (is that even a proper phrase?) in trade. ???

This is an example of developable land:

http://pembertonholm...etails-21039068

This is an example of developing land:

http://www.telegraph...c-eruption.html

Not knowing the difference could get you burned.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#125 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

^ Big difference. :)

#126 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

I drove past this afternoon, and the "for sale" sign has been taken down.

#127 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

The big green wall can be blamed on the air rights of the little heritage house next door not being bought / sold. So we can only assume that one day another condo will butt up against that big old ugly wall and we won't have to worry about it again.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#128 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

Could the developer have put windows on the west side without securing the air rights?

I would have thought The Land Conservancy would be willing to sell them, but maybe that would impair the value of their property too much.

#129 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

^ How would you explain to the owner that oh one day that window in your living room may he taken away if the property next door is ever redeveloped?

#130 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

The prospective owner may be willing to take that chance.

Or you just don't mention it.

#131 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:02 AM

This doesn't happen often, but here is an example of windows being blocked by new construction.

I am sure there are a ton of regulations now about what can be installed in a wall that is built without a setback.

#132 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:00 AM

Are windows allowed in fire walls on property line anymore? Pretty sure they are not.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#133 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:10 AM

Are windows allowed in fire walls on property line anymore? Pretty sure they are not.

Yeah I thought it was a fire code thing now. As in windows have to be a certain distance from the property line.

#134 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

I couldn't imagine opening my curtains only to find a cinder block wall 6" from my window.

That would be like being in jail.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#135 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

You can sometimes have windows in a firewall but they need very expensive special windows with heavy shutters that automatically close in a fire. I believe they are held up by a thin bit of metal that is supposed to melt in a fire and seal the window. I've never seen this done in victoria though.

What I don't understand is that in cases like this where the neighbour is some heritage site that most likely won't be built over for the next century or so, why not allow windows? Why not have "air rights" or what not into the neighbouring lot?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#136 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

I couldn't imagine opening my curtains only to find a cinder block wall 6" from my window.

That would be like being in jail.

This is really common in older cities. I remember staying in a hotel in Boston where the bathroom window opened into an "alley" that was about 6" wide. I wonder how much crap and stuff from the hotel ended up in that space.

#137 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

Very common in old buildings in NYC as well. Yet they call them airshafts, as they are totally boxed in on the interior of the building.

I think their is actually a law now that states that it can not be called a bedroom unless it has an exterior facing window.

#138 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:41 PM

This doesn't happen often, but here is an example of windows being blocked by new construction.

I am sure there are a ton of regulations now about what can be installed in a wall that is built without a setback.

I think this picture only indicates that the owner has "plans" for this building.

#139 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

I think this picture only indicates that the owner has "plans" for this building.

What do you mean? The new building is complete. I must be missing something?

#140 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:27 PM

What do you mean? The new building is complete. I must be missing something?

Sorry was not clear. The owner of the old building must have plans to have allowed all his windows to have been covered up by the new building. At least my brain new what I meant to type! :o

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users