Local TV vs. Cable/Satellite Co.s

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 02:54 PM

Seems to me this war is really heating up...

http://www.thestar.c...on-cable-giants

Not sure how long I'm going to have to endure this, seen it twice today on TV, in it's full length...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=uKLS6sNKRGU

#2 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:33 AM

Apparently a lot at stake. According to people who claim to have seen the CHEK business plan, $2.5M a year was budgeted from these fees.

Since we are on the topic, I have heard from about 20 people now that the mysterious 3rd business partner in CHEK is none other than our own Len Barrie.

#3 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:35 PM

Apparently a lot at stake. According to people who claim to have seen the CHEK business plan, $2.5M a year was budgeted from these fees.

Since we are on the topic, I have heard from about 20 people now that the mysterious 3rd business partner in CHEK is none other than our own Len Barrie.

I hope they got cash from Barrie otherwise they're doomed. He can't/won't even pay his full taxes in Langford!

#4 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:20 PM

He is funding the purchase with Islamic bonds :-)

That reminds me, I will have to make sure I check the Globe and Mail or National Post at the end of the month to see if the deal closed!

#5 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:06 PM

Hmmmm, that sounds like a circular rumour to me.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:51 AM

Hmmmm, that sounds like a circular rumour to me.

Good very well be. I note however that you are close to Len and you have not denied the rumour :-)

#7 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:06 PM

Good very well be. I note however that you are close to Len and you have not denied the rumour :-)

If I knew if it was true or if I knew it to be untrue I would have stated that.

It just sounded odd to me, and I haven't heard anyone mention it. Doesn't mean that it isn't the case, I don't know.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:19 PM

This is an interesting article. I always thought it was lousy how Shaw and Rogers swapped assets back in 2000.

http://www.financial...html?id=2165527

I see that Videotron is not part of the Don't Tax My TV campaign, because parent company Quebecor is a cable-owner, as well as the owner of TVA, a French-language television network sort of similar to CTV...

http://www.stopthetvtax.ca/

#9 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:43 AM

That is HIGHLY unlikely as these fees have never been paid and never will be. Cable carries local stations like CHEK and A because they are forced to by the CRTC, not because there is any interest or demand for them. Since the CRTC dropped the requirement to carry all of the specialty channels some years back, it is only the local stations that are being forced on the cable companies.

One CTV, CBC and Global feed for each timezone would cover everything the local stations offer other than the very badly done news broadcasts.

I would be happy to see an end to all these pointless badly run 'local' stations and leave it all to the cable companies to provide local content. As it stands, here in Victoria they provide almost all of the local TV programming.

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:23 AM

No no, that was one of Ed Bain's jokes. He's a weather forecaster, not a budget forecaster :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:08 PM

I can't vouch for the authenticity of the $2.5M claim as I didn't see the projections / business plan. What is known however is that the station was losing money and that anyone with actual media experience passed on financing or being involved in the purchase.

Perhaps the station is viable and previous owners just mismanaged it, I don't know.

#12 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 03:33 PM

... they are #1 on the Island, and as a long time Victorian, I have a soft spot for CHEK and want to see them survive. It is important to patronize local success stories, but I wonder how long CHEK will stay above water, when they don't appear on air to be doing anything differently. Mind you, I only watch them for the NEWS. If Ed Bains leaves, so will I.

#13 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:06 PM

I have a question for the techie's on this forum:

It occured to me I can watch live TV on my computer thru my internet connection. What do I have to do to connect my TV to my internet and dump Shaw and their $80 a month bill?

#14 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:39 AM

It occured to me I can watch live TV on my computer thru my internet connection. What do I have to do to connect my TV to my internet and dump Shaw and their $80 a month bill?

Apple has been doing this for years - Windows 7 commercials are now expounding on the virtues on the OS to connect with devices like TV, or your stereo.

Consider your current TV as simply a display - it is not a computer, has no direct IT connection. Depending on your system there are all sorts of systems - hardware that you can use for connections.

#15 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:30 AM

Most TV channels do not broadcast live on the internet. Most people who watch TV on their computers have downloaded the programs (illegally) from file sharing services.

If you wish to go that route you can then broadcast the TV shows or movies to your TV using a variety of devices. The simplest way is probably to use a Playstation 3 or Xbox 360 and use the Windows Vista or Windows 7 built in media server.

Ask any 12 year old kid and they can "hook you up"

#16 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:07 AM

Another option is a Sling Catcher. Its primary function is to allow it to grab a feed from a slingbox and display to a Tv; however, it comes with an application that allows you to send a window or your entire screen to the device and display that. I have one in the office and it works really well. I have it connected to the projector, and its great to be able to present something without having to plug in directory.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:13 AM

So there are two sides to this debate.

On one side, tv stations are arguing cable companies like Shaw have increased their cable rates significantly in the last several years and now local stations want a piece of that pie given the economic mess they're in.

Shaw and other cable companies claim that the tv stations wanting more money from cable companies is a "tax" on the viewer, i.e. Shaw's customer, and calls that unfair, and lately has been feeding us with news that tv stations plan on purchasing additional American television shows and not doing much with local tv with the "tax" revenue.

Cable rates are astronomically high and we shouldn't be paying $50 for basic cable plus a few premium channels. If the fee is to go into effect, Shaw should give us the choice of keeping or removing the channels the fee applies to.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:29 AM

^I agree 100%. I have seen my cable+internet sneak up to what is now $178. I only watch HD, 3 of the channels in my sports pack, Setanta and the occasional movie on MC. I would love to drop all the SD channels.

Even more annoying is Shaws complete lack of customer service here compared to Vancouver. I mean last year I know lots of people in the big city that got refunds on the botched Canucks PPVs, but the best I ever got was $2 off on a game that was missing the first period and then picked up the sportsnet ontario feed. My cable frequently goes out, and my PVR weekly forgets its a PVR, requiring a power cycle.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

Cable might be losing the battle a tiny bit:

http://www.ctv.ca/se...EntertainmentV2

#20 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

Not that CTV has a vested interest in this!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users