Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Hudson | Condos & Commercial | HBC block redevelopment; Phase 1 | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2010

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1678 replies to this topic

#1601 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

Can't find if there was a seperate Smokin Bones thread, but according to this: http://guiltykitchen...f-a-restaurant/ post they are opening on the 19th of Jan.

Walked by there the other day and a worker said the opening was delayed until February. Maybe they put on a last minute rush!

#1602 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

Anyone notice anything happening with the big (grocery store) space?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1603 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:34 PM

Anyone notice anything happening with the big (grocery store) space?

It was open when I walked by to work the other day and work was being done inside, but it looked like finishing touches, not the installation of a new client. Plus there have been no changes with the signs.

#1604 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:32 AM

Interesting that something is happening in there now. Thanks for the heads up.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1605 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

Royal Bank and a medical clinic are moving in

#1606 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

Royal Bank and a medical clinic are moving in

Do you know which storefronts they will be located in?

#1607 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:04 PM

^^That can only mean the Royal Bank is vacating their Douglas/Pandora branch, which really opens the door for development there as now the entire half-block is either vacant or contains crap temporary leaseholders. I just hope the bank doesn't waste half the frontage like HSBC does at The Falls. Banks are great tenants but a little goes a long way.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#1608 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

^^That can only mean the Royal Bank is vacating their Douglas/Pandora branch, which really opens the door for development there as now the entire half-block is either vacant or contains crap temporary leaseholders. I just hope the bank doesn't waste half the frontage like HSBC does at The Falls. Banks are great tenants but a little goes a long way.

Wasn't the Douglas/Pandora RBC building bought by the Jawls recently? That's the building adjacent to the massive parking lot the Jawls are proposing to build Atrium 2.0 I believe.

#1609 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

Correct

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1610 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

That that HSBC at the Falls is a disaster outside of working hours in my opinion. Such a waste of a streetfront.
Hope the same thing doesn't happen at the Hudson.

#1611 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

^Wow what a bizarre comment. How is the HSBC at the Falls different from any other bank? On top of that, for after hours, there's a nice new pub in the building just in case the other 15 pubs and nightclubs within 200 feet aren't close enough.
In chains by Keynes

#1612 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

I have to agree Phil, once upon a time not only did the banks take up street front, they took up the whole street.

Most of our major downtown intersections had a bank on the corner. That's why they called them "the corner bank".

Now you can get a beer at the "Bard and Banker".....at...you guessed it...an old bank.

Banks and liquor stores are never .....repeat never...located...on the second floor.

#1613 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

^Wow what a bizarre comment. How is the HSBC at the Falls different from any other bank? On top of that, for after hours, there's a nice new pub in the building just in case the other 15 pubs and nightclubs within 200 feet aren't close enough.

Call it bizarre all you want, but when half a block is taken up by what amounts to a blank frontage for a large chunk of the hours in a heavily trafficked area it's not ideal, historical precedent or not.

I never said the bottom floor of the Falls was bad, the pub is a great addition, just that I don't like that the bank takes up so much frontage. Lots of people agree.

#1614 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

Interestingly, Oak Bay has a bylaw in place that prevents banks from expanding their storefront in Oak Bay Village for exactly this reason: they are not great storefront tenants from a vitality point of a view, but they are great tenants from a landlord's point of view.

#1615 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

Interestingly, Oak Bay has a bylaw in place that prevents banks from expanding their storefront in Oak Bay Village for exactly this reason: they are not great storefront tenants from a vitality point of a view, but they are great tenants from a landlord's point of view.

That whole village is full of banks.

RBC seems to be going into the SW corner.

2% Jazz says OPENING FEBRUARY on the signage but the interior tells me they are 2 or more months away still.

A hair/beauty place is going into the south side.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1616 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

And still no announcement regarding any major retailer for the remainder of the interior ground floor...Is it me or has Townline fumbled on this project almost since day one?

#1617 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

That whole village is full of banks.

It is, hence the bylaw. I don't have the exact dates, but I believe it was enacted after the last major round of bank expansions in the village.

#1618 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

back on topic: the interior was getting some steel framing today, a dozen or so people working inside

#1619 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

You mean the interior of the large space or one of the smaller commercial spaces?

Know it all.

#1620 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

We may not see a major grocery retailer here at this time. It seems will be more interested when the area densifies. We should know most of the remaining tenants within two months and the 2% Jazz coffee shop should be open by the end of the month. Tower II, the rental project is still struggling its way through the system.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users