Photo

Thai Food

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 peanutflower

peanutflower
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:57 PM

Thai ingredients to buy somewhere, does anyone know?

#22 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:10 PM

Fairways grocery store in Quadra village.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#23 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:48 AM

Here's something I saw on Facebook. A couple go into a Saanich Thai restaurant last night and order rice and curry. Upon receiving their side dishes, they pull out the rotisserie chicken they bought from the supermarket out of their grocery bag and proceed to chow down. One observer wondered if the server was paid chicken corkage for the trouble.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#24 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:20 AM

I really enjoy the new "noodle cart" restaurant on Blashard, it's an upscale version of a little thai place. Where maycock optical used to be.

Little thai can be ok, but it's almost fast-foody and you have to specifically order "classic" pad thai to get the real stuff, otherwise they pretty much serve you spaghetti. But when they have "customer appreciation month" if you order over $12 you get a free instant curry. For $12 I get enough food for 3 lunches!

Baan Thai in oak bay has seen it's portions shrink in the last year or so and a lot of inconsistancy in the kitchen. Also pretty uninspiring service. I haven't really been going there anymore. My wife found the service downtown pretty rude and awful too so we also don't go to that one!

My Thai on cook though was the worst I've had. Sub-little thai place quality, very bland and boring but with high-end prices. Restaurant its self is in bad shape. Don't see what people like about it, if the pad thai is anything to judge by.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#25 Coopershawk

Coopershawk
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

Try Sabhai Thai in Sidney...great reviews!

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:35 AM

Here's something I saw on Facebook. A couple go into a Saanich Thai restaurant last night and order rice and curry. Upon receiving their side dishes, they pull out the rotisserie chicken they bought from the supermarket out of their grocery bag and proceed to chow down. One observer wondered if the server was paid chicken corkage for the trouble.

Canada's version of Australia's bring-a-bottle?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 snaptee

snaptee
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

Little thai can be ok, but it's almost fast-foody and you have to specifically order "classic" pad thai to get the real stuff, otherwise they pretty much serve you spaghetti.

I'm pretty sure they use ketchup in it - yuck.

Anyone tried the new thai restaurant on the corner of Goldstream and Jacklin?

#28 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

I'm pretty sure they use ketchup in it - yuck.

Anyone tried the new thai restaurant on the corner of Goldstream and Jacklin?

Sabhai Thai. I was there a week ago for the first time. It was very busy and always seems to be. I'm no expert in Thai food, but it seemed really good, and quite reasonable! I'll definitely try it again. :)

#29 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

Sabhai Thai. I was there a week ago for the first time. It was very busy and always seems to be. I'm no expert in Thai food, but it seemed really good, and quite reasonable! I'll definitely try it again. :)

They're quite popular in Sidney I think and I've eaten at the Langford one once. It was quite good.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#30 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

I hear a lot of good things about places in Sidney. I can't justify traveling to another city just to eat, but if I'm ever up there I should check it out. Heard there's good greek places too.

Or is it a case of people who live in the area being overly "patriotic" about the food in their community?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#31 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

^No, Sabhai Thai in Sidney is actually really good.

#32 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:07 PM

.. and usually booked solid for dinner. If you think you might like to go, give them a call a day before at least.

Matt.

#33 vinna

vinna

Banned

• Banned
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:52 AM

Lunch is affordable, taste is delicious, service is great, definitely will come bac.

#34 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,144 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:23 AM

Welcome to Vibrant Victoria vinna. I missed your interesting posts on May 24th. Where are my manners. :)

#35 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:29 AM

I've probably tried most if not all the places mentioned in this thread and generally agree with the opinions of others here; I would add that if you are rushed for time or want to order out for p/u, I always found Zap Thai in Esquimalt to be pretty decent. Its certainly not Sabhai Thai or Baan Thai (Blanshard location) quality, but still suffices if you need a quick Thai "fix".

#36 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

Welcome to Vibrant Victoria vinna. I missed your interesting posts on May 24th. Where are my manners. :)

Apparently your manners are better than vinna's!:o
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#37 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,144 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

^vinna sure had me fooled. I did go back and read the previous posts. Respectful and on topic. Mike has all the master wizard tools at control central. I only have a pack of taro cards and a dart board.

#38 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:51 PM

I just tried visiting my favourite Thai place: King and Thai on Estevan. I usually go a couple of times when I'm back in Victoria. Their phone message has different, newer hours than their website, but when I walked over at 5:30 tonight, I found them closed. The clock sign on the door helpfully informed me they'll be open again at five. Not sure on what day that would be.

God I hate stuff like this.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:53 PM

I just tried visiting my favourite Thai place: King and Thai on Estevan. I usually go a couple of times when I'm back in Victoria. Their phone message has different, newer hours than their website, but when I walked over at 5:30 tonight, I found them closed. The clock sign on the door helpfully informed me they'll be open again at five. Not sure on what day that would be.

God I hate stuff like this.

That's Victoria for ya.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#40 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:03 PM

That's Victoria for ya.

Technically, isn't that "Oak Bay" for ya?

Capture.JPG

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users