• 1,039 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:12 PM

Not even "technically." It's Oak Bay.

But if you addressed a letter to King and Thai, you'd address it "Victoria."

#42 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:21 PM

....But if you addressed a letter to King and Thai, you'd address it "Victoria."

Amalgamation now.

• Jill likes this

#43 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:42 PM

Crumsby's makes a mean cupcake and cappuccino across the street and I think there open until 6:00pm.

#44 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:56 PM

Yeah, that wasn't quite what I had in mind when I went to get Thai food for dinner.

#45 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:12 PM

No idea if its convenient for you but give Green Elephant on Craigflower a shot some time: very well worth it. Our family fav used to be Sabai Thai on Jacklin Road but after sampling GE a year or so ago we've switched. Its a tiny gem of a place right beside Craigflower Grocery. Dine in or pick up.

• Jill, todd and kafkaesque like this

#46 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:47 PM

Had takeout from @Bangkok on Douglas the other day, it was great.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#47 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:55 PM

We've been going to Thai Lemongrass Restaurant in Cadboro Bay whenever we rent the MODO car for something.  It's often out of our way but it's worth it because they make one dish that is simply awesome that we just can't find anywhere else.  They call it their Prawn Cream Salad.  It's very similar to Walnut Shrimp that you can sometimes find at Chinese restaurants but the twist here is they serve it in a taco bowl with fresh cut fruit underneath.  Once you eat you way through the rich creamy shrimp you have a healthy mixed fruit dessert to finish it off.  You get a dozen good sized prawns and the dish is rich so we share it.  We usually do this as a lunch and take home an order of Panaeng Curry for dinner.  We find their Panaeng Curry to be better than Baan Thai's as their curry sauce has been rather thin of late.  Oh, and they also make a REALLY good Thai Iced Tea!   :thumbsup:

28393078776_5785058a83_h.jpg

28142897680_7f6454e778_h.jpg

• lanforod and todd like this

#48 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:32 AM

^ that looks fantastic. Will have to try!

#49 goke

goke
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:39 PM

Anybody know if Noodle Cart on Blanshard changed hands in the last few months? I went last week and the menu has changed. Now it's a just a few generic Thai best sellers and then a section of Korean dishes and Ramen (!?). We chose a Thai curry and a noodle dish and it was fine but I won't be back. A couple of white guys were running the show and there seemed to be an emphasis on drink specials, cheap jugs and happy hour. It was all a bit disappointing.

#50 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:42 PM

Anybody know if Noodle Cart on Blanshard changed hands in the last few months? I went last week and the menu has changed. Now it's a just a few generic Thai best sellers and then a section of Korean dishes and Ramen (!?). We chose a Thai curry and a noodle dish and it was fine but I won't be back. A couple of white guys were running the show and there seemed to be an emphasis on drink specials, cheap jugs and happy hour. It was all a bit disappointing.

Ya, my DVBA business-to-business newsletter says it "re-opened".

Coupe white guys eh?  There ought to be a head tax on them to reduce that type of white ownership of ethnic eateries.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#51 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:23 PM

I was under the assumption Little Thai Place actually owned Noodle Cart. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#52 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:15 AM

I had Little Thai Place the other day for the first time in a while and was pretty disappointed. Thai Green Elephant is definitely my new favourite but is closed on Sundays. 

• AllseeingEye likes this

#53 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:16 AM

I had Little Thai Place the other day for the first time in a while and was pretty disappointed. Thai Green Elephant is definitely my new favourite but is closed on Sundays. 

Yeah, the pad thai at Little Thai Place isn't amazing, but it's also not the worst. 

Out of all that I have tried, the best is at Baan Thai. Hands down. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#54 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:58 AM

Couple white guys eh?  There ought to be a head tax on them to reduce that type of white ownership of ethnic eateries.

Agreed, if it would have prevented Sushi Rock Cafe.

#55 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:06 AM

Totally agree; Green Elephant just re-opened on Friday after being closed for a month for renos and updates I believe. Place was swamped. I ordered a dinner for p/u and was told it would be 90 minutes +. It was, but no worries it was well worth the wait......

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#56 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:42 AM

Yeah, the pad thai at Little Thai Place isn't amazing, but it's also not the worst. 

Out of all that I have tried, the best is at Baan Thai. Hands down. 

LTH: Two orders of takeout pineapple fried rice on Sunday came sans pineapple... we were like, wtf. The pad thai was correct, but blander than it should be.

I wish Baan Thai made a good pineapple fried rice.

Edited by lanforod, 02 August 2016 - 09:42 AM.

#57 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:17 PM

http://www.atbangkok.ca/

Got a take away from this place. Was OK, I would return ( I'm not a connoisseur of Thai).

Wouldn't eat in, seemed soulless.

#58 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:04 AM

I had dinner at Thai Lemongrass in Cadboro Bay last night. Fantastic!

• Bingo likes this

#59 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:26 AM

I had dinner at Thai Lemongrass in Cadboro Bay last night. Fantastic!

There has been a restaurant in that space for at least 35 years and Lemongrass has to be at the top of the list for quality and service.

To bad the washrooms are upstairs.

#60 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:39 PM

I know there was a time when Paul's was a much better restaurant than it devolved into before it finally closed. I remember having one good lunch at the Italian place before the quality of the food plummeted, and I understand the Russian place was just insane.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users