Downtown Victoria Business Association: more cops on beat

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:34 PM

I've brought it up with Lowe in person, Lowe on talk-shows and at least one or two other councillors. WHY do cops always pair up in daylight hours downtown? Surely the job is not that dangerous at that time. Split up, and BINGO, double the police presence. I'd like to have a buddy to chat with at work too, but come on. I walk downtown solo at 3am*, surely a cop, with a gun and special training can walk/ride alone at 10am.

* I do carry a concealed handgun from 12am - 5am if I'm not drinking.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:46 PM

Good point. If Victoria's so safe then why can't the split up? If one of them happens to run into trouble, assistance wouldn't be more than a few minutes away at most.

#23 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:48 PM

^^Normally that would intimidate me but I know the piece you have is a Derringer with a pink pearl grip.

Have a read what England is doing:

The association is concerned that patrolling in pairs has become the norm, both in vehicles and on foot.

Chief Sup Gammon said: "Our research shows that the public perceive police officers to be more approachable when they are working on their own."

He added that the double-crewing of officers should only occur "when it's operationally necessary or when there's a safety factor involved".

The association's findings also show that an officer alone on the beat is less likely to be attacked.

[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/910661.stm:88885]cite[/url:88885]

The only problem would be if he had to call for backup, he'd have to use the crappy Crest system...
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:31 PM

The association's findings also show that an officer alone on the beat is less likely to be attacked.

Na-uh! In the following scene an officer almost had his eye poked out!

*Children please turn down the volume*

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VGCGlnBvNtw

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:30 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VGCGlnBvNtw

What....a.....dumb......ass.

#26 JLK

JLK
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:46 PM

The homeless in downtown during the day has nothing to do with fear. I work downtown and walk ~8 blocks every day to and from View to the inner harbour for lunch virtually every day and I can guarantee you I get "hit" upon at least 4 to 5 times a day.

This is not fear, it is harrassment, pure and simple, and it makes every day downtown workers extremely uncomfortable attempting to carrying out their day to day lives. And as far as that councilwoman who said beggars are not allowed outside financial institutions and it is enforced - she is completely full of crap. I see the usual suspects unhindered DAILY.

Nightly? That a different sory and it can contain fear, but the homeless are only part of the problem there.

Beat cops can collect street intelligence and deal with minor problems before they become major ones, whereas a car driving by every 20 minutes or so accompliches very little.

Frankly, we need to bring back our vagrancy laws before any real improvement can be expected. And until we get rid of the freak artists running this show who don't have to deal with this crap every day - nothing with change.

JK

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:50 PM

Dude asks me for money, I say sorry, he's says no prob.

Where's the harrassment? Panhandlers are way down on my list of downtown annoyances.

Vangrancy laws have been deemed unconstitutional.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#28 JLK

JLK
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:55 PM

Dude asks me for money, I say sorry, he's says no prob.

Where's the harrassment? Panhandlers are way down on my list of downtown annoyances.

Shall I mentioned I was spit on yesterday for the apparent reason of not ackowledging one passing by on private property at my work place on View. Or the freak that intentionally tried to block my path walking down the street no matter which movement I made to let him by?

I could go on and on. These are DAILY occurances and unless you are forced to deal with it on a daily basis, you haven't got a clue.

JK

#29 JLK

JLK
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:59 PM

HW:

Let me ask you this. Would you be as tolerant if 4 or 5 times a day - EVERY DAY - some homeless person showed up at your home begging - with some of them being abusive when you refused them?

Why then do we think it's OK to subject people to the same abuse during their regular workday? Think about it.

JK

#30 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:02 PM

I d/t every day JK and I rarely have a problem with homeless people. I treat them with respect and they do the same back.
Just like any sector of the population, there are nice ones and there are shitheads.

#31 JLK

JLK
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:05 PM

I d/t every day JK and I rarely have a problem with homeless people. I treat them with respect and they do the same back.
Just like any sector of the population, there are nice ones and there are shitheads.

Gum:

So if it's alright with you, I'll have them drop by you home on a daily basis instead of harrassing the rest of us.

Deal?

JK

#32 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:13 PM

Instead of giving money to panhandlers, donate to organizations like the Cool Aid Society - http://www.coolaid.org

#33 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:18 PM

Gum:

So if it's alright with you, I'll have them drop by you home on a daily basis instead of harrassing the rest of us.

Deal?

JK

By the "rest of us" whom are you referring to?

#34 JLK

JLK
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:24 PM

The normal downtown working stiff who has had it with this crap.

JK

#35 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:59 PM

I have lived downtown for six years and have been coming downtown regularly for thirty years. I've never been harrassed by a street person. About a year ago I said sorry to a panhandler and he said "Sorry for what". I said "Sorry, I don't have any change" and he repeated the same response. I figured he was being a smart ass so I kept walking. That was the worst street person experience I've ever had.

#36 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:05 PM

I've witnessed things a bit worse than that.

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:22 AM

^same here.

If you've yet to see a heated exchange with a homeless individual or a panhandler or witness a physical altercation (heck, be involved in one!) you're lucky.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#38 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:42 AM

I work downtown and walk there every day. I am far more offended by the various non-governmental agencies that try to trap me as I walk down the street then by the homeless.

The homeless are everyones problem and we need to do something about it like writing to your MLA. We need more provincial money for this not more laws. I am sure it would cost more to house them in our jails then to build housing so that they can work towards being contributing members of society.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:03 PM

I say "no thanks" when hit up. Never been a problem. I DO give money to the guys selling the Street Newz.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:06 PM

A Channel reports that the Monday, Oct 16, TC article titled "Downtown Too Scary, Shops Say" misquoted Matt McNeil. It wasn't clear what was misquoted, however.

McNeil has issued a press release but I'm not sure where to find it.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users