Cook Street Village

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#201 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:45 PM

In time that entire strip will no longer be recognizable. We'll just have to give it 20 years.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#202 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:50 PM

In time that entire strip will no longer be recognizable. We'll just have to give it 20 years.

Probably more like 50 years and 50,000 NIMBY battles.

• GaryRanson likes this

#203 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:24 PM

Sister lives on that block. She told me of rumblings that a developer has been taking a look at the buildings on the block. It is very under-developed currently.

Edited by grantpalin, 19 July 2017 - 04:24 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#204 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:43 AM

Oh yeah, for sure. There are a lot of properties along that strip in a medium term holding pattern.

Sid Tafler and his group who tried to smear 200 Cook have no idea what's going to materialize, and the opposition they mounted just made them appear wildly out of touch. The CSV is ripe for redevelopment, but one major project at a time is likely the best recipe for success.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#205 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:14 AM

Cook Street Village has potential to become the next albeit smaller Commercial Drive in Vancouver... That would be nice

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#206 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:36 AM

Maybe West Fourth. Too rich to ever be as cool as Commercial Drive.
  • GaryRanson and thundergun like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#207 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:07 PM

We live close to Cook St. Village and have been here for over 35 years. We go there less often due to the loss of places we used to go...the bank, the bookshop, Food Country, my hair salon recently closed, the laundromat occasionally, the old fish and chip/ice cream place, etc. It's less "useful" now.

• Bingo and Intercontinental like this

#208 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:25 PM

^That's what worries me about gentrification. I'd feel better if rather than disappearing forever, useful businesses relocated elsewhere, like the Gonzales neighbourhood--an underutilized urban centre. I think there are a few hubs around Fairfield that were vibrant 70 or 80 years ago that have gone dormant and could use a revival.

And by "useful" a mean places like a laundromat, hair salon, bank etc, rather than luxury doggie croissants or whatever silly thing is cropping up in commercial podiums these days.

• Intercontinental and Awaiting Juno like this

#209 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:36 PM

I dunno, there are still folks who miss the blacksmith, and the chimney sweep shop clerks were always great for a chat. The horse stables, though, when they closed that was a real shame (more missed than the miller, I'd wager).

[Ok, attempt at humour over. :)]

Businesses close when they don't make money. That's just the way it is. The fish n chip shop couldn't make ends meet, the laundromat was clearly hurting from more common in-suite washers and dryers, and the bookshop must not have had a loyal enough following the keep the lights on.
  • Redd42 likes this

Know it all.

#210 Intercontinental

Intercontinental
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:40 PM

We live close to Cook St. Village and have been here for over 35 years. We go there less often due to the loss of places we used to go...the bank, the bookshop, Food Country, my hair salon recently closed, the laundromat occasionally, the old fish and chip/ice cream place, etc. It's less "useful" now.

Agreed, I'm in a building overlooking the street and the "daily living" activities are being replaced by leisure and niche uses. 10 years ago I recall enjoying the people-watching with steady streams of people walking home with carts and bags of groceries. Now, despite living in an arguably well-defined village, most of those people have shifted their regular food shopping to locations that are beyond walking distance. I'm one. I used to walk to shop (75/25 Food Country/Oxford), and now I drive to Fairways. 

What's the point of a village if it fails to put daily living amenities in walking proximity?  In time, CSV could become as useless as Bear Mountain Village.  

Edited by Intercontinental, 20 July 2017 - 09:41 PM.

#211 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:08 AM

Yes, I have to drive to places that before I was able to walk to. And no, I don't have a bike, lol.

• Intercontinental likes this

#212 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:17 AM

I have to say though, I think Food Country/ Oxford Foods had something to do with their own demise. Quality wasn't all that great with it common to find alot of stale dated items.
  • thundergun and Awaiting Juno like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#213 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:29 AM

I have to say though, I think Food Country/ Oxford Foods had something to do with their own demise. Quality wasn't all that great with it common to find alot of stale dated items.

I don't think you can expect to find quality, good pricing, and strong selection for groceries, especially staples, all in one place, especially in a high-rent area like CSV.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 21 July 2017 - 06:29 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#214 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

I don't think you can expect to find quality, good pricing, and strong selection for groceries, especially staples, all in one place, especially in a high-rent area like CSV.

Fairways in Quadra Village seems to strike that balance.  But again, some of it is a "Whole-Foods" versus "Country Grocer" preference.  I could see something similar to Meinhardt's (Vancouver on Granville) doing well - but then it would likely have to be able to incorporate the butcher and baker under one roof.  I could also see a "market" style facility doing well - more similar to Granville Island or what is now at Coombs.  Laundromats need to evolve - the ones that incorporate wash/dry/fold services seem to do okay (ie. The Laundro Lounge further up on Cook St.).  A daycare would probably be able to do pretty good business in that neighbourhood as rates for infants/toddlers are quite high and Cook St. Village Park and the beach are so close.  

• Nparker likes this

#215 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:50 PM

The village is atmosphere is sliding...and I think it's cacked.

#216 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:05 PM

The village is atmosphere is sliding...and I think it's cacked.

In English please?

• Matt R. likes this

#217 Intercontinental

Intercontinental
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:55 PM

I had no problem with Food Country *at all*.  AND it was open until 10 pm. You do know it was the same owners as Country Grocer (the store that serves Royal Oak and south Cowichan valley (aka wine land). The loss of Food Country was an immeasurable loss   of daily functionality of Cook Street Village as a true village.

Oxford on the other hand is only good for canned goods, toilet paper and sometimes some produce.  The store is in desperate need of major renovations/rebuilding. I wish they'd either sell it to Fairways or put the money into it that it needs. It's not worth my while to walk down there when I'm already driving elsewhere for the rest of my groceries. I wish I could avoid those carbon emissions.

• Nparker likes this

#218 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:23 PM

The City of Victoria has approved Cook St. Liquor's proposal to relocate to the former RBC Royal Bank branch on Cook at Sutlej streets.

Cook St. Liquors gets green light to take over former Cook Street Village bank branch

• Nparker likes this
Know it all.

#219 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:02 PM

I buy a lot of stuff at Oxford, including chicken, dairy, ice cream, some fruit and veg, jams, cookies, frozen vegetables and pizza.Their chicken is far less rubbery than what I can get at Thriftys. If I want smaller sized grapefruits, potatoes, loose bean sprouts, reasonably-priced lettuce, I go there.  They're also good for small containers of things like bleach, dishwashing liquid, etc. when you don't want a giant bottle of it. Their decor doesn't bother me in the least and their cashiers are very quick.  I hope they stay.

Edited by mbjj, 30 October 2017 - 02:03 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#220 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:50 PM

Draft Fairfield Neighbourhood Plan and an online survey:

http://www.victoria....rhood-plan.html

I think there is some good stuff in here, but I was disappointed to see the effective downzoning around CSV from 6 to 4 stories. (This is a plan not zoning, but it will amount to the same thing - nothing over four stories ever in the area).

Hopefully some VV'ers will put in some input.  Parts of this document have the fingerprints of the CSV NIMBY's all over it. Would be good to see some alternate and pro density voices put in some input.

• Rob Randall and Nparker like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users