Photo

Cook Street Village

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#61 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:57 AM

Any idea when? And what it will be like?

Despite the new businesses in CSV, we really don't have any good sit-down restaurants. There's a limit to how many times you can eat pizza, Rosie's is very much a diner, and the pub isn't my favourite. It would be soooooo nice to have some good alternatives.

#62 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:45 AM

I agree. CSV needs a good sit down joint.

It is also a shame that the laundromat is closing. It is a place that draws many people to the village.

#63 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:25 PM

I agree. CSV needs a good sit down joint.

We went to RICA a mexican place on McKenzie street down in the village and it was fantastic, but alas very little seating. Go to this place we don't want this gem going under!

http://www.ricasalsa.ca/

#64 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:17 AM

That is too bad about the laundrymat I spet many hundreds of hours there while in Uni as I lived nearby without laundry not sure what I would do now in the same situation.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#65 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:17 AM

I would like the Mexican place better if it hadn't replaced King and Thai. I miss them.

#66 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,419 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:15 AM

Who knows, perhaps another laundromat is in the works not too far from this location. The laundromat at Fort and Richmond closed when a much more modern facility opened up at Oak Bay Ave and Foul Bay in a Shell station.

I figure the next victim in the village could be Pic a Flic. Anyone know if they're still keeping busy?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#67 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:22 AM

It sounds crazy but Pic a Flic is busier than ever. It can't last for much longer, but for now they appear to have a sound business model that will keep them afloat for a
couple more years at least.

#68 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,419 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:30 AM

When you say business model, do you mean they offer unique movies that attract foot traffic or are they doing something in conjunction with movie rentals?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#69 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:23 AM

There was a article a while back about how they stay afloat. The owners attributed it to their model. I don't remember the details, but it was based on very simple and stringent principles. Part of the model does include their large and eclectic collection, but they attributed a lot of it to their traditional return rules.

I find it odd that they still carry vhs, but it must be beneficial.

There ought to be a thread about the remaining video rental outlets in the city.
I can only think of 4 left in city proper. Other than Pic a Flic, there's Ozwego, Prime Time and Hollywood Tonight.

No question their days are numbered. Other than waning consumer interest in the disc, there will be a time when creation of hard copies of movies will cease completely. What could a movie rental store do then?

#70 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:03 AM

Yes, and have you noticed how there are no CD stores anymore? Everyone is downloading music rather than buying CD's. But . . . there's a resurgence in interest in vinyl records, LOL.

#71 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:34 AM

Yes, and have you noticed how there are no CD stores anymore? Everyone is downloading music rather than buying CD's. But . . . there's a resurgence in interest in vinyl records, LOL.

There's a certain purity of sound from a vinly record that is absent in digital music. Let's just hope the listener isn't using their iPhone headphones for listening to vinyl :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#72 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,419 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:08 AM

I can only think of 4 left in city proper. Other than Pic a Flic, there's Ozwego, Prime Time and Hollywood Tonight.

...and speaking of which, today is Hollywood Tonight's last day of business.

Know it all.

#73 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:43 PM

Plans for 4 new townhouses to be built at 1014 Park Blvd, replacing the only single-family dwelling on the street. Info session tonight, Monday, July 18th at 7 pm at the Fairfield Community Centre.

#74 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:24 PM

That's odd. I read somewhere when the house had just been bought about a year ago that the new owner intended to keep the house as a sfh. In fact, there have been updates to the front of the building.
Oh well, I suppose it was inevitable.
I wonder if the home will converted as part of the new development.

The new Bubby's is supposed to be opening by the end of this month according to the owner btw. I wonder what will open in the old space?

#75 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

The plan, I believe, is to tear the old building down. According to the owner, the house needs a new foundation.

#76 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

Zambri's is opening a gourmet burger joint in Cook Street Village where the old laundromat is. This little dream come true will be open in approximately three months if everything goes according to plan.

http://vicburgers.bl...int-headed.html
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#77 Village Dolt

Village Dolt
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:21 PM

Howdeeee!

Wow! Summer's come n' gone and I plumb forgot to post earlier aboot all the changes around this here Village! :eek:

Went browsing in the new trinity of shops just opened a while back and, overall, fairly impressed with all the new offerings... :rolleyes:

Paws on Cook - dog and dog-owner friendly food and supply shop that also stocks cat-friendly foods and some goods (YAY! My cat's happy now!)

Bubby's Kitchen - despite their website still under construction, they are fully set up to serve a good range of '3 squares' fare! Haven't yet sat down to a good meal there but have bought some deelicious day-old goodies! :)
* advertised pancakes will surely tempt me in soon!

Hot House Pizza - Woohoo! A real local quality pizzaria with, *drumroll*, whole wheat crust also to order your fave toppings on!! Enjoy sharing a whole pizza or a fairly-priced slice as I have now n' then. :P

Hey! Have any news to share of your experiences with these new vendors, or the other existing ones? Belly up to the blog then! Let's hear 'em please!

nb. Sad to see the old laudromat is now history but, as mentioned on their sign in the window, forty-plus years of local service is a Village record... well done management and happy trails to your retirement sunset! :cool: All hail the advent of Zambri's 'gourmet' burgers soon! Does that mean I can now have at beckon call a bison burger with Grey Poupon and caviar?! :D

Enjoy those fall colours gang and postacha again later!

The Doltsky
Vote for the Dolt for Cook Street Village's first mayor!
Then we amalgamate! :D

#78 Village Dolt

Village Dolt
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:52 AM

Wow, fergot to mention a couple of goings-on around my end of the Village!

Noticed that the Age Well spa, twas around the corner from Ambrosio market, pulled up stakes and is gonzo! Wanna speculate that they didn't get enough well-heeled bodies in there? Didn't even mention on their website they were going... :confused:

Speakin' of Ambrosio, owners Candace and Carey have certainly been busy as beavers over the last month completely reno'ing inside there and expect to be back up n' running by mid-October mayhaps! Casting my peepers in there now and then, it'll look like a European outdoor market with wood-laden serving areas and the seating slightly repositioned. Y'all please patronize them when they get going again and don't pass up the !!frozen yogurt!! when available! :):)

Back n' chattin' laters!

The Doltsky
Vote for the Dolt for Cook Street Village's first mayor!
Then we amalgamate! :D

#79 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,419 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:17 AM

Thanks for the updates :)

Know it all.

#80 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:45 PM

Went into Bubby's kitchen and it was excellent!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users