#1 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:46 PM

House 'too big' for Uplands

Oak Bay councillors question design of 12,300-square-foot home

By Kim Westad, Times Colonist October 22, 2009
http://www.timescolo...1497/story.html

Oak Bay councillors are balking at plans for a 12,300-square-foot house in the Uplands, saying it's just too big.

The design for the two-storey house planned for 2880 Beach Dr., which would likely cost $3 million to $4 million to build, includes six or seven bedrooms, a swimming pool and atrium and a second kitchen for frying.[...]

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:50 PM

This is what a 12,000 sq. ft. house can look like.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:06 PM

Coun. Nils Jensen asked if any thought had gone to green features, such as solar heating.

Jeez!!! Is that all he can think about. This guy is up there with Richard Stanwick!!! Bunch of Puritans!

It's 3/4 of an acre, thats a good size lot and can hold a lot of house no problem. And anyway what difference does it make if each bedroom has an ensuite and a living room. They should only be concerned with the exterior and ensuring it is appropriate for the area.

I wonder what Nils would say if I was to design my dream home with a 6 car garage?

#4 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:54 PM

Just address your cards and letters to Mr. Ozymandias, Chateau Bloat.

#5 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:08 PM

House 'too big' for Uplands

Oak Bay councillors question design of 12,300-square-foot home

By Kim Westad, Times Colonist October 22, 2009
http://www.timescolo...1497/story.html

Oak Bay councillors are balking at plans for a 12,300-square-foot house in the Uplands, saying it's just too big.

The design for the two-storey house planned for 2880 Beach Dr., which would likely cost $3 million to $4 million to build, includes six or seven bedrooms, a swimming pool and atrium and a second kitchen for frying.[...]

Isn't this the same council that approved that ridiculous monstrosity in the 200 block of King George Terrace?

#6 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:13 PM

I think the same but for one new councillor, Tara Ney.
They are a confused bunch.
On one hand they proclaim they want OB to be a 'green leader' then they clear out a flower bed to add two more parking spots at the library.
They close off OB Ave for a monthly "farmer's market" half of which is people selling god's eyes left over from the 60s and handbags made in China.
Feh.

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:19 PM

I'd live there :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:30 PM

Captain Vague comes through again! Yeah, that's a big house, so what's your point?

Do the people serving on Oak Bay Council really not know that there are already huge mansions in the Uplands? Are they really that out of touch? Sweet Pea weighs in at 16,000 sq.ft and Riffington, Eagles Nest, Robinwood, the house opposite Robinwood, and the house next door to Sweet Pea must all be at least 10,000 sq.ft.
In chains by Keynes

#9 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:56 PM

I thought it was interesting that Alan Lowe is its architect. Been wondering what he's up to these days.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:02 PM

I thought it was interesting that Alan Lowe is its architect. Been wondering what he's up to these days.

Proof that this is purely political :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:56 PM

Perhaps the drawing doesn't do it justice, but it seems like a very uninspired design for a home of that value.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#12 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:05 PM

It kind of looks like rjag's six-car garage...

#13 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:28 PM

Captain Vague comes through again! Yeah, that's a big house, so what's your point?

Do the people serving on Oak Bay Council really not know that there are already huge mansions in the Uplands? Are they really that out of touch? Sweet Pea weighs in at 16,000 sq.ft and Riffington, Eagles Nest, Robinwood, the house opposite Robinwood, and the house next door to Sweet Pea must all be at least 10,000 sq.ft.

i don't think any of those houses are on 3/4 acre though. sweetpea for example is on 2.5 iirc.

#14 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:46 PM

I don't know. Maybe he was trying to be helpful and give people a point of reference?

Personally I think that if this thing wasn't so hideous*, I doubt as many would have much of a problem with it.

*Personal opinion

#15 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:55 PM

The drawings didn't seem to be with the story when I clicked the TC link today. I was simply curious about what a 12,000 sq. ft. home actually looked like. I guessed others might be too. That's all.

Mods, you can move this post into the "Phil McCavity Gets Things Explained To Him" thread.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#16 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:44 PM

i don't think any of those houses are on 3/4 acre though. sweetpea for example is on 2.5 iirc.

Riffington and Eagle's Nest may be more than 3/4 acre. I seem to think Riffington is maybe 2.5 (1ha).
I think Uplands was less sacred when they were built and up to fairly recently. There are still a lot of less-than-heritage-quality post war junkers.

#17 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:45 PM

It kind of looks like rjag's six-car garage...

This is a 6 car garage and I only wish it was mine!!!!

#18 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:19 AM

I don't know. Maybe he was trying to be helpful and give people a point of reference?

Personally I think that if this thing wasn't so hideous*, I doubt as many would have much of a problem with it.

*Personal opinion

The only problem is, he was assuming we were all ignorant of what a 12,000 sq.ft. house looks like but I have seen countless houses of similar dimensions inside and out. I'll bet others here have seen some really big houses too. Just because he hasn't doesn't mean we are all ignorant.

The thing I will never understand is why is it anybody's business how big someone else's house is or how big the size of their lot is? It seems to me that the only person that this should concern is the homeowners themselves. People like Nils Jensen just make me shake my head too. I'll tell you what Nils, if you're so concerned with green features, build them all into your house.

I think Uplands was less sacred when they were built and up to fairly recently.

:confused:
In chains by Keynes

#19 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:33 AM

The thing I will never understand is why is it anybody's business how big someone else's house is or how big the size of their lot is? It seems to me that the only person that this should concern is the homeowners themselves.

I think folks are concerned that a home that is in poor taste or out of character for their neighborhood can lower their property values. That's a legit concern in my book, but one that can easily by handled by covenants and other private arrangements. The problems arise when those who don't have an immediate and substantial concern get an inordinate amount of say.

In this case, I would think there might be half a dozen people directly affected, yet any resident in Oak Bay that wants to get involved gets attention. For the elected, it's a simple matter of counting votes. If denial will get more voter support than approval, then it's thumbs down. This is one of the reasons libertarians oppose zoning and favor land management by non-state entities.

#20 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:43 AM

The last time we heard from Alan Lowe the architect was in regard to the controversial Rogers' Chocolates heritage renovation. Does Lowe simply have the bad luck to get tough projects or did the owners choose Lowe because he knows how to propel a problematic proposal past the political process?

The only problem is, he was assuming we were all ignorant of what a 12,000 sq.ft. house looks like but I have seen countless houses of similar dimensions inside and out. I'll bet others here have seen some really big houses too. Just because he hasn't doesn't mean we are all ignorant.

I think this misunderstanding is a natural byproduct of having contributors from across the intelligence spectrum interacting on a public forum. My apologies.

In the future I will try to be smarter.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users