[James Bay] Municipal House | Built - completed in 2009

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:35 AM

^ Too true about the parking lots. Though I have real fear that people are beginning to wax nostalgic about the days when there was surface parking everywhere.

I also like your suggestion that people will see that modern buildings can be located in neighbourhoods and in fact make them better, though I think we both might be supreme optimists on this point.

I do disagree with your assertion that post-modernism is dead though. While it may not be being used for government buildings (but I so love 800 Johnson Street) it is still alive and well in residential construction, just look at the three storey job on North Dairy and Shelbourne. Anyways hope springs eternal...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#22 captain highliner

captain highliner
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:02 AM

G-man, you're right about faux historicism/postmodernism still being quite popular. The Bear Mountain condos try to blend an arts and crafts, or even CPR chateau type look with a modern structure, not to mention the proliferation of fake craftsman bungalows. I guess that I'm looking a bit too far into the future about this trend to be able to really know where architectural style will go. It's wishfull thinking.

Still, I do think that the ecological factor will be a major driver of this trend. Faux historicism is about structural concealment and over ornamentation, which is inhearently wastefull.

#23 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:02 AM

Is it just me or is the new building set further back than the heritage house next door? Seems to be much further back.

Is there no regulation in Victoria that obliges the setbacks in new developments to match the setbacks of existing adjacent buildings?

How come the suppose heritage preservationists don't ever complain about this issue? All the time they seem to want greater and greater setbacks.

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:36 AM

I complained about it. See four posts up. I think that if there is this kind of effort going into this building we the public should at least be able to see it.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#25 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:18 PM

If the new faux arts and crafts buildings stuck true to the principle of quality workmanship, attention to detail, and well, craftsmanship that characterized the arts and craft style I'd be totally happy to stay retro forever.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#26 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:29 PM

Looks like construction will begin soon. Finally.
There's a couple construction trailers setup and fencing. That's about it so far.

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:54 PM

Holy cow, what took so long? It's been a year.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#28 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:02 PM

Is this the latest rendering or is it out of date? At least Oxford Sutherland's web host is still active.

I can't seem to find any other rendering.

#29 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:11 PM

That means he's probably still alive. Hope is not lost.

#30 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:29 PM

He's probably grumbling about some blank wall or setback and cursing at his computer screen at this very moment.

#31 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:01 PM

Construction is officially underway. They're digging the hole. With a spyder hoe, Spyder Hoe, SPYDER HOE, SPPYYYDDDEERR HHOOE!
Sorry. They're not using a SPYDER HOE. That effing ad is starting to drive to insanity now.

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,454 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:18 PM

Nice. I've updated the thread.

Sypder Hoe loves this site :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#33 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:31 PM

Today:

#34 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:13 PM

Not much change here:

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,454 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:22 AM

This is now a done deal.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#36 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:16 AM

I haven't seen it but I heard someone complaining about the blank concrete wall.

Calling James Bay photographers...
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:19 AM

I haven't seen it but I heard someone complaining about the blank concrete wall.

Calling James Bay photographers...

I walked past it the other day, camera in hand... bah... I'm filming in JB this week if no one gets there before me...

#38 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

The blank concrete walls on the north and south sides are intended to be "green walls". When I asked the landscaper how this was going to be implimented, he said they'd be growing ivy up them. I keep looking for ivy, but it doesn't seem to be coming out of the ground. There is something spilling down from the green roof, so maybe that is the plan. The reason that the softening of the walls - esp. the south one - is important is that the neighbouring building has large bay windows less than 10 feet away. The impacted building is a seniors residence (where the view from the window - for shut-ins may be more important than for the average citizen).
There is a lot of mixed opinion by passers-by about the design. Some hate it, but I'm sort of indifferent (its not great, but its not bad, either). They've used an interesting hard landscaping approach in the front, which spills out over to include the public sidewalk.
Pieta VanDyke

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users