Photo

The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#5561 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

The driver is required by law to know the height of his/her vehicle. They are also required to acknowledge all road signage, traffic signs, bridge clearance signs etc.

Unfortunately this was the 2nd truck in 2017 to do the exact same thing at this exact same bridge.

And expensive lesson learned for the driver.

#5562 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:51 AM

The driver does not test his clearance by trying to go under certain bridges, then calibrate from that.  He should know his height.

You know...I really was away off course on this incident and totally out to lunch.  :redface:

Anyways...I found something of interest and it is posted on a new thread here;  https://vibrantvicto...youtube-videos/

#5563 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:40 PM

This Jeep lost a fender in an encounter with a bus.

28342847_10155050547266851_186235081_o.jpg

#5564 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:33 PM

Award-winning CTV News journalist Marci Ien recently wrote an essay in the Globe & Mail. She claimed a recent traffic stop she experienced was based on racial profiling. This happened in Toronto but might be of interest to readers here. It received a lot of attention on social media across the country.

I did some research. It turns out she has a history of road rage, poor driving, speeding, getting pulled over then trying to get out of a ticket. 

• sebberry and Lorenzo like this

#5565 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:07 AM

People get annoyed when I get stuck behind a transit bus here and refuse obey the law and decide not to pass it.

I know I am late to reply on this one, but doesn't that rule only apply to school buses?  A quick scan of the MVA confirms section 149 only applies to school buses

#5566 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:18 AM

I know I am late to reply on this one, but doesn't that rule only apply to school buses?  A quick scan of the MVA confirms section 149 only applies to school buses

I believe the spot I was referring to had a double yellow line extending part way through the bus zone.  Passing the loading/unloading transit bus requires crossing the double yellow.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5567 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:18 AM

Award-winning CTV News journalist Marci Ien recently wrote an essay in the Globe & Mail. She claimed a recent traffic stop she experienced was based on racial profiling. This happened in Toronto but might be of interest to readers here. It received a lot of attention on social media across the country.

I did some research. It turns out she has a history of road rage, poor driving, speeding, getting pulled over then trying to get out of a ticket. 

Not only that, she admits in the article that she ran a stop sign in a school zone prior to being pulled over in the first place! She was only given a warning BTW.

I know that as a cop David, you would have routinely turned a blind eye to a white man doing the same thing. 

None of that matter though, we are now in a time and place where rage actors dominate the discussion. Best to keep your head down.

• David Bratzer likes this

#5568 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:05 AM

Just looked up Marci Ien on Twitter. Apparently it's racist to question a black person's account...

Anyway, any person with half a brain should know - never, ever get out of your vehicle when stopped by the police. Never. Turn off your radio, take off your sunglasses, roll down your window and wait patiently. Keep your hands in plain sight. Politely answer their questions. Keep your cool - it's just a traffic stop. 

I'm sorry, but getting out of your vehicle and angrily approaching a police vehicle is just asking for problems. 

#5569 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:08 AM

Ya, I thought everyone knew that.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5570 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:11 AM

Maybe she was genuinely surprised and wasn't aware that she was being "pulled over". Maybe the cop is a racist pig, I don't know. Sounded like a pretty routine traffic stop, to me. I've had a handful. The questions were pretty mundane. This seems like an interaction in search of a problem. Like, she didn't get a ticket so she angrily demanded that he give her a ticket? That's...odd... 

#5571 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:25 AM

The Police Chief has already publicly stated that the video footage of the traffic stop positively shows two things:

1. It clearly shows Ien violating traffic laws by running a stop sign.
  2. It clearly shows that the color of Ien's skin is not identifiable prior to the traffic stop due to the lack of illumination inside her vehicle.

What more does anybody need?

Run a stop sign in front of a cop ... get pulled over ... get a warning or a ticket ... scream "racism" because you can?

The woman is clearly the cause of most, if not all of her own problems.

Of course in this age of "mandatory outrage" from people completely uninvolved in whatever it is they're choosing to be outraged about today - no part of this story is particularly surprising.

• lanforod and 57WestHills like this

#5572 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:17 PM

I cannot wait for Margaret Wente to chime in on this.
  • Daveyboy likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5573 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:36 AM

Sounded like a pretty routine traffic stop, to me.

The whole point, which everyone here commenting so far seems to have missed, is that this was the most recent in a number of times she has been stopped in the neighbourhood.

This was not about one, single incident.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#5574 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:40 AM

The whole point, which everyone here commenting so far seems to have missed, is that this was the most recent in a number of times she has been stopped in the neighbourhood.

I think if anything it speaks volumes to her driving habits.
  • VicHockeyFan, LJ, shoeflack and 2 others like this

#5575 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:45 PM

My question is what was she doing to get stopped in the first place .
If nothing I agree with her, let’s investigate.
If breaking the law I really don’t think anyone any colour has a leg to stand on .
Start driving properly and see if the problems solved .

#5576 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:37 PM

She never said all three stops were in her neighbourhood.  We know the last stop was in her neighbourhood, but not the first two.  She hasn't provided any explanation at all regarding the other two stops. In my experience, it's a giant red flag when someone provides a lot of detail regarding what happened but then glosses over one part of the story.

Marci Ien is an award-winning journalist who is alleging a racially motivated pattern of traffic stops. Having publicly made these very serious allegations against the Toronto Police Service, she should be willing to provide details of all three traffic stops.

• 57WestHills likes this

#5577 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:46 PM

The Globe & Mail did a follow-up story about Marci Ien. She now admits that she's a bad driver. She also claims the police union has launched a smear campaign against her. Oh, and she's getting a lawyer:

Chief Mark Saunders also weighed in during a television interview, saying he reviewed video footage and audio transcripts from the stop – and invited Ms. Ien to do the same.

Ms. Ien said they're missing the point.

"The point is not whether I did or didn't do something. It's how I felt [in my driveway] … it was his tone. It scared me."

As a black woman, she said that is her frame of reference with police – and she doesn't expect everyone to understand.

"I do feel … that being black had something to do with it," she said.

Ms. Ien said she has not heard from the chief or the service and found their public comments – particularly about the video footage, which she has yet to see – to be "highly unprofessional." She plans on seeking counsel from a lawyer.

She described it as a "smear campaign," referencing a tweet by Toronto Police Association president Mike McCormack that excerpted a 2005 interview Ms. Ien did with The Globe about her car.

"Ien confesses she likes speed sometimes," the article stated. "She has been stopped by police a few times, but nailed only once. Her secret: 'I flash them a smile. I don't know if it's the Marci Ien thing, but it's like, 'Did you know you were going …?' Yes, I did. I won't do it again. 'Okay, that's fine.'"

Ms. Ien questioned what her previous comments have to do with the current incident.

"So I'm a bad driver, does that mean I should be profiled?" she said. "I was scared in my driveway … and that's okay because I'm a bad driver?"

#5578 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:48 PM

Yeah, cause the Toronto police are shooting hundreds of black people every year. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5579 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

This is a story in search of a plot.
  • rjag likes this

#5580 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:24 PM

Wow. So sensitive that the tone from a cop has her calling lawyers? WTF. Maybe see what real racial problems look like when the cops shoot unarmed black kids, then think about whether your actions are justified. Maybe grow a little bit thicker skin too...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users