The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7137 replies to this topic

#5641 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:24 PM

Yikes, that could have ended so badly. Glad to hear that the cyclist and the driver were transported to hospital with less than severe injuries.

"Two to hospital w non-life-threatening injuries. The cyclist in this case will be recovering for sometime."

Maybe not AIS Severe, but obviously not just scrapes and bruises.  How can you really address this risk without physical barriers though?

• Mike K. likes this

#5642 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 02:19 PM

"Two to hospital w non-life-threatening injuries. The cyclist in this case will be recovering for sometime."

Maybe not AIS Severe, but obviously not just scrapes and bruises.  How can you really address this risk without physical barriers though?

Dallas road will have an off-street bike path as part of the sewage project, so theoretically that could prevent this but depending on the speed/angle a vehicle could still jump the curb and take out some bi-wheeled people.

#5643 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:24 PM

Dallas road will have an off-street bike path as part of the sewage project, so theoretically that could prevent this but depending on the speed/angle a vehicle could still jump the curb and take out some bi-wheeled people.

Are there any design drawings of the path?  I haven't been able to find anything with any detail or resolution...

#5644 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:47 PM

Check a couple weeks back, a special 530 or 630pm CotW meeting.

#5645 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:57 PM

Check a couple weeks back, a special 530 or 630pm CotW meeting.

Found it just by looking at CoV -> Transportation -> Cycling.  :redface: The proposed design puts parked cars and apparently metal bollards between the travel lanes and the cycle path and sidewalk, so the incident that happened here should be unlikely to reoccur under that arrangement.

#5646 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 09:38 PM

There won’t be that arrangement for the whole route. Some of it will be raised bike path next to roadway with no parking. So y’all can still get us there.

#5647 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 April 2018 - 06:58 AM

So y’all can still get us there.

Meh.... I like my paint without any blemishes...much easier to observe the migration habits of the angry biker from afar

#5648 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:30 AM

Meh.... I like my paint without any blemishes...much easier to observe the migration habits of the angry biker from afar

Nah, you know all the cyclists think drivers want their cars bashed up from hitting them.  Sort of a tally sheet.  Drivers are obviously nasty, horrible people that obviously don't care about paint blemishes.

• rjag likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5649 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 April 2018 - 08:37 PM

This one could have been bad.

SUV ahead of me enters on a green light, car runs the red from the right.  They miss, but there appeared to be a family in that SUV.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Ug30HirZqf8

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#5650 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:58 AM

Nah, you know all the cyclists think drivers want their cars bashed up from hitting them.  Sort of a tally sheet.  Drivers are obviously nasty, horrible people that obviously don't care about paint blemishes.

Yes, the van driver faked a medical emergency and sacrificed five other motor vehicles (for the Greater Good) just to score another point on the Cyclist Scourge.

I do not doubt his commitment to Sparkle Motion.

But seriously, it's just Hanlon's Razor (again, because it applies to everything ever).  Except replace "incompetence" with "inattention or medical emergency".

#5651 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:37 PM

Is it a crash? Stay tuned to find out...

Capture.JPG

#5652 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:44 AM

Is it a crash? Stay tuned to find out...

Capture.JPG

'twas another IRSU dragnet.  I'm not terribly opposed to roadblocks, but when you turn the highway into a parking lot...

#5653 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:04 PM

Police have just closed Hwy 1 both directions near McKenzie. Car rollover. Just got off the phone with my partner who is driving home from the West Shore. Does not sound good.

#5654 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:23 PM

So the big question is, how does something like this happen in a 60 zone? Was it a medical situation? I’m hearing an SUV sliced through a big rig but details are still scarce.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5655 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:25 PM

Check out the Hwy Cams for No.1 at Helmcken. No visible traffic in either direction. Eerie looking.

http://images.driveb...uverIsland.html

Edited by Lorenzo, 07 June 2018 - 04:26 PM.

#5656 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:26 PM

Yeah it’s crazy, isn’t it.

Be safe out there everyone.

And not to be cheeky, but I have a feeling we might be talking about my bridge tomorrow on CFAX.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5657 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:26 PM

Saanich Police are saying that two vehicles collided in the northbound lanes, causing one to rollover. Here's the accident scene:

DfINz2VVMAALHsR.jpg

#5658 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:31 PM

Oh my.

I see insanely aggressive driving along that stretch every day. It boggles the mind how such activity goes largely unchecked.

Know it all.

#5659 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:52 PM

When IRSU camps out in the bush watching for drivers stuck in stationary traffic touching their phones instead of watching for aggressive drivers....
  • Lorenzo likes this

#5660 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:10 PM

One of the vehicles involved in the crash was a Comox fire pick-up.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

pontcanna