• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#5761 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:18 PM

^+1
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#5762 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:19 AM

Yeah, let’s be a little more courteous and respectful towards each other.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5763 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:49 PM

Are they using rechargeable batteries?

#5764 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:33 AM

Image courtesy of Stormy, this incident has caused significant delays on Jacklin Road at Highway 14/Sooke Road.

IMG_2434.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5765 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:48 AM

Image courtesy of Stormy, this incident has caused significant delays on Jacklin Road at Highway 14/Sooke Road.

IMG_2434.jpg

Two semi trailer drivers in two days take out poles (where people walking or biking would have been). When do we start actually licensing these people. Oh wait, we do. And yet it doesn't work.

Edited by sebberry, 18 July 2018 - 03:43 PM.
Sipped the clip

#5766 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:20 AM

Two semi trailer drivers in two days take out poles (where people walking or biking would have been). When do we start actually licensing these people. Oh wait, we do. And yet it doesn't work.

Since I assume you're reacting to people calling for cyclists to be licensed nice job missing the point entirely. No one claims it stops crashing or unsafe driving but it forces the drivers to take responsibility when they're caught. Really the only reason I can think of not wanting cyclists to be licensed is a cyclist knowing they break laws and don't want to be forced to take said responsibility if they're caught or do damage. 

#5767 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:27 AM

it forces the drivers to take responsibility when they're caught

Yes, I was. And no, it doesn't. Crashes are spiking, people are getting multiple tickets and still driving.

#5768 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:31 AM

Yes, I was. And no, it doesn't. Crashes are spiking, people are getting multiple tickets and still driving.

That's because tickets are done very poorly here. Instead of being a flat rate we should copy many west European countries that take a % of your income (so instead of being $175 or whatever it is for a cell phone it's say 1.2% of what you make in a month so the fien isn't meaningless to the rich)

#5769 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:43 PM

Crashes are up 25% to 960 a day in BC now, $13,000,000 in claims a day.

Clearly this highlights the failure that is IRSU.  They should be disbanded immediately. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5770 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:50 PM

^Or is it that a 10 kph parking lot ding means a $2000 repair bill whereas 30 years ago it would be a scuffed bumper.

#5771 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:01 PM

The word "crash" covers a pretty large spectrum of ills.

But, guess the only reason those crashes can be track is because motor vehicles are licensed and plated. Thus, can be tracked.

I can totally see why some would be concerned about the ills of a bicyclist being tracked. Might not fit the message and all.

#5772 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:17 PM

Every time a cyclist passes me on the right while I'm stopped (illegal, BTW) I'm reminded of how powerless I'd be if he/she scraped the side of my car and decided to not stop.  I don't know why this status quo is defended.

• Nparker and sdwright.vic like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#5773 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:19 PM

Every time a car passes me within inches when I'm cycling (illegal, BTW) I'm reminded how powerless I'd be if he/she scraped me onto the pavement and decided not to stop. I don't know why the status quo is defended.

• Rob Randall, Coreyburger, Matt R. and 2 others like this

#5774 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:27 PM

^No one is defending... there is a license plate, car colour style et al. For bicyclist it just "oh, some guy on a bicycle wearing spandex.... didn't stop just kept going".

Oh and thanks for admitting you are doing something illegal!

Edited by sdwright.vic, 18 July 2018 - 05:28 PM.

#5775 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:12 PM

Every time a cyclist passes me on the right while I'm stopped (illegal, BTW) I'm reminded of how powerless I'd be if he/she scraped the side of my car and decided to not stop.  I don't know why this status quo is defended.

It's only illegal on the shoulder of a road, not in a marked bike lane. In a bike lane it is perfectly legal to pass on the right (we are talking about it being dangerous, which is a different issue, and only solve-able really by separated trails.

#5776 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:37 PM

That's because tickets are done very poorly here. Instead of being a flat rate we should copy many west European countries that take a % of your income (so instead of being $175 or whatever it is for a cell phone it's say 1.2% of what you make in a month so the fien isn't meaningless to the rich)

Multiple tickets are not a flat rate or whatever that means. Penalty points come into play, not to mention driving prohibitions, vehicle impoundments, mandatory rehabilitation and increased insurance premiums. They add up. The Finnish model to which you’re referring is just another tax grab that doesn’t really modify behaviour.
  • sebberry likes this

#5777 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:49 PM

It's only illegal on the shoulder of a road, not in a marked bike lane. In a bike lane it is perfectly legal to pass on the right (we are talking about it being dangerous, which is a different issue, and only solve-able really by separated trails.

No no, I'm talking about in the lane where there's no bike lane. They wedge themselves right in between the curb nearly clipping my mirror on a regular basis.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#5778 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:50 AM

Every time a car passes me within inches when I'm cycling (illegal, BTW) I'm reminded how powerless I'd be if he/she scraped me onto the pavement and decided not to stop. I don't know why the status quo is defended.

Actually, you'd still have recourse through ICBC for a hit and run.  That said, there is currently no "safe passing" distance law in BC (really overdue for one - and I would whole heartedly support one).  Again, I believe dashcams and helmet cams are great things - and the more prevalent they are, the less likely those who "hit and run" are to get away with it.    

• nerka likes this

#5779 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:52 AM

And really the problem is at intersections where drivers make right hand turns, if even in a bike lane a bike could not pass on the right within 10m of an intersection, it'd be much safer.  The roads have to be shared and everyone deserve to get from point a to point b without dying.

• Bingo likes this

#5780 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:56 PM

Crazy back ups on malahat again tonight apparently due to a 5 car MVA near shawnigan lake turnoff

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users