The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#5801 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 12:13 PM

It is an odd two blocks to shut down.

There were barricades at either end with "Special Event" signs. No other signage, no vendors or food trucks. None of the businesses were making use of the space. People were scratching their heads wondering what the event was.

If you're doing a test of a pedestrian mall there has to be something to entice pedestrians to use it. A big empty stretch of asphalt isn't going to cut it.

• Nparker and Kilo95 like this

#5802 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:20 PM

It is an odd two blocks to shut down.

There were barricades at either end with "Special Event" signs. No other signage, no vendors or food trucks. None of the businesses were making use of the space. People were scratching their heads wondering what the event was.

If you're doing a test of a pedestrian mall there has to be something to entice pedestrians to use it. A big empty stretch of asphalt isn't going to cut it.

The anti-car crowd has been pushing for the closing of Government St for a long time now.

My thought on the matter back then was that simply closing the road wouldn't do a damn thing to make it appealing to "people".  Sounds like today's experiment was just that - unappealing to anyone and remained nearly empty.

You'd have to set up some attractions in the street for people to make it inviting - but this wasn't what was proposed. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5803 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 02:55 PM

First I'm hearing of it (and I work on Government Street!) and I don't think I've read anything about it here. 

Yup known about it for a while but what’s really cool is I now know who you are. I win the free small cone at DQ.

Capture.JPG

???????????

• North Shore and Love the rock like this

#5804 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:20 PM

Highway 14 is closed between Kangaroo and about 2.5km east of there following an MVI.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5805 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:51 PM

Looks like the 61 is just not running right now. I imagine it's quite bad if they're stopping all the buses https://bctransit.co...d=1403650575694

#5806 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:02 PM

The anti-car crowd has been pushing for the closing of Government St for a long time now.

My thought on the matter back then was that simply closing the road wouldn't do a damn thing to make it appealing to "people". Sounds like today's experiment was just that - unappealing to anyone and remained nearly empty.

You'd have to set up some attractions in the street for people to make it inviting - but this wasn't what was proposed.

Shutting it down and using it for chalk art or the busker festival.... oh wait! They chased that out of town!
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#5807 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:10 PM

Shutting it down and using it for chalk art or the busker festival.... oh wait! They chased that out of town!

there is still a sorta buskers festival.. they chased the good one out of town then made their own.. this year it's planned for Aug 30-Sept 3rd.. same weekend as the saanich fair

#5808 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:52 PM

Mike any idea what the MVI was?  It's still shutdown....we went out o East Sooke Park today and it was a gong show.

#5809 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:54 PM

Sooooooo...did anyone know that the City is shutting down Government Street to traffic today between Fort and Yates Streets and turning it into a pedestrian mall? And that this is a pilot that's being run every Sunday until the end of September?

First I'm hearing of it (and I work on Government Street!) and I don't think I've read anything about it here.  Talk about yet another communications fail by the overpaid and underworked "Civic Engagement" department.

The City Family made the decision. You're obviously the black sheep of said family.

• AllseeingEye and Bob Fugger like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5810 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:56 PM

No info at this time as to the cause and severity. Both Hydro and Telus have had to restore their lines. I believe Telus hasn’t done that yet. The incident occurred at around 245, or thereabouts.

The 61 is detouring via Kangaroo and Hally Valley but only as a single floor bus due to obstructions along the route. Only two buses are serving the route at the moment.

And earlier today at about 11AM a motorcycle crash occurred just past Shirley also along Highway 14.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5811 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:23 PM

Sooooooo...did anyone know that the City is shutting down Government Street to traffic today between Fort and Yates Streets and turning it into a pedestrian mall? And that this is a pilot that's being run every Sunday until the end of September?

First I'm hearing of it (and I work on Government Street!) and I don't think I've read anything about it here.  Talk about yet another communications fail by the overpaid and underworked "Civic Engagement" department.

Yup known about it for a while but what’s really cool is I now know who you are. I win the free small cone at DQ.

The City Family made the decision. You're obviously the black sheep of said family.

It's amazing how much you can learn about people online from just a few posts.  Bob works on Government, is hard of hearing,  is really cool, has connections at DQ and is black.

• sebberry, Matt R., Bob Fugger and 4 others like this

#5812 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:30 PM

It's amazing how much you can learn about people online from just a few posts.  Bob works on Government, is hard of hearing,  is really cool, has connections at DQ and is black.

Nailed it!

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5813 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:27 PM

Motorcycle down at the intersection of Cook and View. The area is taped off and police are taking photographs which is never a good sign.

#5814 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:33 PM

VicPD says the motorcyclist has been taken to hospital with life threatening injuries. A driver of another vehicle has also been taken to hospital.

Know it all.

#5815 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:40 PM

The area is taped off and police are taking photographs which is never a good sign.

Cook and View is never a good sign unto itself when we're talking about traffic incidents.

#5816 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:44 PM

All those uncontrolled intersections where streets like View and Burdett meet, especially at rush hour, there's basically five lanes of traffic rushing through.

#5817 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:48 PM

Cook at View and Herald at Government should have had lights ages ago. They'll both get them eventually, like it or not. I'm not sure what the city thinks it saves by stalling on this sort of thing.

• Nparker likes this

#5818 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:49 PM

Maybe if we hadn’t of spent money on...

Oh, never mind.
  • Nparker, David Bratzer, SimonH and 3 others like this

Know it all.

#5819 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:23 PM

Generally traffic planning like that is sadly driven by death statistics.  You literally need X amount of deaths or serious injuries before you get the upgrade.  I'd just eliminate left turns at cook and view, it's insane trying to turn left onto cook from there when things are busy, I've seen way too many close calls and minor accidents there.  Go down Yates or Fort instead and use the light.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#5820 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:44 PM

This "Special Event" signage?....

FS_ANSI_Caution_PedTraffic__78286.133357

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users