The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7139 replies to this topic

#5821 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:14 PM

VicPD has now confirmed the motorcyclist has passed away.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5822 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:26 AM

Generally traffic planning like that is sadly driven by death statistics. You literally need X amount of deaths or serious injuries before you get the upgrade. I'd just eliminate left turns at cook and view, it's insane trying to turn left onto cook from there when things are busy, I've seen way too many close calls and minor accidents there. Go down Yates or Fort instead and use the light.

Exactly! No left turns Mon-Fri 7-6 makes sense.

Was the bike on Cook and he hit the car or was it the other way?

That’s terrible that the person died .

Edited by rjag, 14 August 2018 - 07:27 AM.

• Midnightly likes this

#5823 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:43 AM

We'll know more soon. VicPD has not released a statement regarding the accident investigation, only to confirm that the individual has passed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5824 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:26 PM

A Victoria police officer is recovering after his police van was hit by a drunk driver early Tuesday morning.

Investigators believe the car, with two people inside, blew a stop sign at Cook Street and Dallas Road around 3 a.m. and hit the patrol van.

The officer was transported to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

https://www.timescol...jured-1.2340037

#5825 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:43 PM

...aaaaaand the press release.

Victoria, BC – A Patrol officer is recovering after his police van was struck by an impaired driver early this morning.

Patrol officers, along with BC Emergency Health Services Paramedics and Victoria Fire Department firefighters, were called to the intersection of Cook Street and Dallas Road just before 3 a.m. this morning for a collision between a police van and a car. When they arrived, they discovered the Patrol officer driving the van and the occupants of the vehicles suffering from non-life-threatening injuries. Early investigation indicates that the driver of the vehicle failed to stop at the stop sign the intersection and collided with the Patrol van.

The officer was transported to hospital, while the driver and passenger of the car were treated at the scene, but declined transport. Investigating officers noted the driver showed signs of having consumed alcohol and requested a breath sample. The driver blew well over the limit.

“This collision underscores the risks our officers take by simply doing their jobs,” Chief Del Manak said. “Earlier in the evening this Patrol shift responded to a motor vehicle collision between a motorcycle and a car that unfortunately claimed the motorcyclist’s life. A few hours later these same officers saw one of their own injured in a collision that involved an impaired driver, on the very same road. This underscore the types of harm, both physical and psychological, that our officers are exposed to on a daily basis.”

The Patrol officer is recovering. This file remains under investigation.

Know it all.

#5826 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:55 PM

Exactly! No left turns Mon-Fri 7-6 makes sense.
Was the bike on Cook and he hit the car or was it the other way?
That’s terrible that the person died .

Don't use View. It's only another few minutes to go to a controlled intersection

Meanwhile motorcycle deaths are up over last year.

Based on preliminary data, 30 people died in motorcycle crashes from January through July 2018, with 18 in July alone.

That is an increase of 114 per cent over the same period in 2017.

"Speed is the leading factor for motorcycle crashes," said Lindsay Matthews, ICBC's interim vice-president responsible for road safety in an news release. 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...le-bc-1.4803312

#5827 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:01 PM

I came upon a motorcycle accident recently. Couldn't tell what had happened but several other motorcyclists decked out in racing gear were directing traffic. From what I could assess they were riding in a group and one of them lost control, etc.

Anyways, exactly a week later I'm at a car meet and I overhear a man talking about an accident that sounded familiar. Turns out it was the man's friend who crashed. He was beat up and really sore, but otherwise ok.

The reason for the accident? Speed. The age of the rider? Late 40's, early 50's, aka old enough to know better.

Know it all.

#5828 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:23 AM

A motorist is fortunate to be unharmed following an early morning vehicle fire on the Malahat. The driver of the burnt-out pick-up reportedly discarded a cigarette butt out the window, but it flew back into the cab and sparked a fire, according to a witness.

A driver behind the pick-up tried to warn the man that smoke was billowing from his vehicle but he remained unaware of the situation until it was too late.

Photo courtesy of Shannon R.

vehicle-fire-malahat.jpg

• Rob Randall likes this

Know it all.

#5829 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:41 AM

Darwin tried. Lucky POS.
  • Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#5830 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:43 PM

I hope we see serious charges laid against the driver.

• Baro likes this

#5831 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:51 PM

I am told the good samaritan driver honked and tried to get the driver's attention in order to let him know he accidentally set his car on fire but she got the finger in response from the unwitting victim. 

#5832 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:00 PM

If there were any justice, ICBC would pay out nothing on the vehicle owner's insurance claim.

• Rob Randall and lanforod like this

#5833 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:15 PM

I nearly slammed into a local construction company sedan this afternoon when the two bright minds inside decided to stop their vehicle in the travel lane of a busy windy road ...on a blind corner ...and one of them walked out to (what appeared to be) assess their location on a map.

The driver is a complete idiot for stopping where he did, and the passenger not far off for not alerting the driver to pull ahead and OFF the road, and himself aimlessly wandering around outside the vehicle.

After coming to a screeching halt inches from them, I pulled into the oncoming lane and stopped in a driveway. I got out and gave the two 20-somethings an earful to get the hell out of there before they get killed, just as another vehicle came to a screeching halt behind them. So what do they do? They pull forward 20’ and off to the side a touch, then proceed to do as they were when I came around the corner.

Good grief.

Know it all.

#5834 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:24 PM

I got out and gave the two 20-somethings an earful to get the hell out of there before they get killed, just as another vehicle came to a screeching halt behind them.

A 30-something going at it with some 20-somethings...won't somebody please think of the 10-somethings!!!

• sebberry and Redd42 like this

#5835 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:29 PM

A 30-something going at it with some 20-somethings...won't somebody please think of the 10-somethings!!!

If you make it to 70-something all the other something years must have been trouble free. 

#5836 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:45 PM

Something was happening there, that's for sure.

#5837 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:56 PM

Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube....h?v=sCEzEVJkO1U

[Edited to include link, videos won't auto appear until the forum is upgraded]

#5838 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:58 PM

Something was happening there, that's for sure.

Were donuts involved?

#5839 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 04:05 PM

Oh yeah, I felt all grown up all of a sudden.

Seriously though, W ...T ...F were these guys thinking.

Know it all.

#5840 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 04:07 PM

Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube....h?v=sCEzEVJkO1U

[Edited to include link, videos won't auto appear until the forum is upgraded]

Lol, right!

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users