Photo

The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#5961 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:50 AM

...on my street there has been at least 3 repairs needed in the last 10 years.. one which closed down the school and flooded the playground...

All CoV street repairs have equal priority; some are just more equal than others.

#5962 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:11 AM

there's a hole on my street (grassy area beside a tree) from fixing a pipe with a piece of plywood over top of it for nearly 2 months now from a repair they did.. the previous one they did (other side of the tree) it took them well over a year (think it was over 2yrs) to fix the hole and even then they did a crappy job of it (threw left over concrete in it from another job and didn't even bother cleaning out the debris first so sticks were sticking out of it and some plastic road flag)

on my street there has been atleast 3 repairs needed in the last 10yrs.. one which closed down the school and flooded the playground...

Yup.

I thought it worth wile to point out the reality of city construction and how a job like we see in the photos above can be completed from start to finish in less then a day, whlie a smaller project can take the exact same municipality 4-6 weeks to complete. It's the same in every municipality. It's all about Budgeting. Basically they have to justify the year's budget set aside for road maintenance, and that includes not just the materials, but the staffing costs. If they work too fast, then they come in too far under staffing budget and that can result in a smaller overall staffing budget for the following year, which can then result in staff cuts with the union workers (which naturally the workers obviously will do anything to prevent)  I know a guy that worked on road maintenance for 30 years in the city, so I've been given the low-down. 

#5963 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:18 AM

^Yeah, I know of a guy that now works for a road crew in Victoria after working for another municipality. He was surprised to get the "don't work too fast" lecture.

#5964 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 03:34 PM

🚔 Vehicle, Driver Sought In Hit And Run That Killed Dog 🚔

Victoria, BC – Traffic officers are looking for the driver of a vehicle that struck and killed a dog and narrowly missed a pedestrian in a marked, lit crosswalk.

The pedestrian reported that on Friday, November 9th, around 5:15 p.m., he was crossing the road in the crosswalk at the intersection of Dallas Road and Menzies Street with this two small dogs. An eastbound vehicle had stopped for him. As he crossed the road, a second vehicle, travelling westbound did not stop and drove through the crosswalk, narrowly missing the pedestrian and striking one of his dogs. The dog was killed instantly.

The pedestrian yelled at the passing vehicle, which slowed but did not stop. The driver of the vehicle instead continued westbound towards the cruise ship terminal. The pedestrian and his other dog were not physically injured in the incident.

Witnesses describe the vehicle as a white, 16 foot long “shuttle bus” style vehicle with a light bar on the roof instead of individual lights. The vehicle also has a loud squeaking wheel.

Traffic officers have not yet spoken with the driver of the vehicle are looking to hear that person’s account of what occurred.

If you have any information about this incident you are asked to call our non-emergency line at (250) 995-7654. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

-30-

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5965 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:20 AM

Vehicle, Driver Sought In Hit And Run That Killed Dog

Victoria, BC – Traffic officers are looking for the driver of a vehicle that struck and killed a dog and narrowly missed a pedestrian in a marked, lit crosswalk.

The pedestrian reported that on Friday, November 9th, around 5:15 p.m., he was crossing the road in the crosswalk at the intersection of Dallas Road and Menzies Street with this two small dogs. An eastbound vehicle had stopped for him. As he crossed the road, a second vehicle, travelling westbound did not stop and drove through the crosswalk, narrowly missing the pedestrian and striking one of his dogs. The dog was killed instantly.

The pedestrian yelled at the passing vehicle, which slowed but did not stop. The driver of the vehicle instead continued westbound towards the cruise ship terminal. The pedestrian and his other dog were not physically injured in the incident.

Witnesses describe the vehicle as a white, 16 foot long “shuttle bus” style vehicle with a light bar on the roof instead of individual lights. The vehicle also has a loud squeaking wheel.

Traffic officers have not yet spoken with the driver of the vehicle are looking to hear that person’s account of what occurred.

If you have any information about this incident you are asked to call our non-emergency line at (250) 995-7654. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

-30-

This is not the first time.......if you remember a couple of years ago the same thing happened to a guy walking his dog int he interurban area. He was crossing at a cross walk and a truck ran his dog over and killed it and then took off. Never heard a news follow up on it, so I assume they never caught the piece of Sh*t that did it.

#5966 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 04:44 AM

We should license all vehicles. It would be so much easier to bring the drivers to justice when they commit a crime.

• Matt R. likes this

#5967 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 05:55 AM

We should license all vehicles. It would be so much easier to bring the drivers to justice when they commit a crime.

True, but how often do you hear about the description of the vehicle being next to worthless and no mention of someone reporting a license plate number.

#5968 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:25 AM

True, but how often do you hear about the description of the vehicle being next to worthless and no mention of someone reporting a license plate number.

I've read a surprising number of H&R reports over the years that are exactly that - worthlessly vague vehicle descriptions and no plate number.  It seems a lot of people (victims and witnesses alike) don't focus on the those details at the time of the incident.

#5969 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:49 AM

It's easier to see "it's a white mini-bus" than "the license plate is these tiny numbers/letters that can look similar) from a distance if they didn't look right away. I also imagine if your dog just got killed right in front of you your mind isn't exactly in the right place for memorizing a fairly random set of 6 numbers/letters.

• jonny likes this

#5970 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:50 AM

Vehicle, Driver Sought In Hit And Run That Killed Dog

The pedestrian reported that on Friday, November 9th, around 5:15 p.m., he was crossing the road in the crosswalk at the intersection of Dallas Road and Menzies Street with this two small dogs.

Flat open area that isn't conducive to speeding. Person driving must have been distracted or asleep.

#5971 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:01 AM

It seems a lot of people (victims and witnesses alike) don't focus on the those details at the time of the incident.

Eyewitnesses are not particularly trustworthy at the best of times, never mind when they are in the midst of a horribly traumatic event. These are probably the worst moments of that guy's entire life, and he's being criticized because he maybe didn't pick up the license plate number. 

It also would have been dark at 5:15 and who knows if the vehicle even had functioning license plate lights. 

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#5972 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:26 AM

The fact that people are criticizing the poor man who had his dog run over by a hit and run driver is really mentally screwed up. 

• Baro and Cats4Hire like this

#5973 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 10:27 AM

The fact that people are criticizing the poor man who had his dog run over by a hit and run driver is really mentally screwed up. 

The second dog was probably to traumatized to give chase and is now suffering from survivors guilt.

#5974 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:33 AM

1953, Hillside and Douglas:

46496201_10155641081335740_2407259612412641280_n.jpg

• Sparky, Bingo, Brantastic and 1 other like this

#5975 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:37 AM

I'm going to assume they were trying especially hard not to cause her to fall.

#5976 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 19 November 2018 - 02:29 PM

Some things never change.  Why just last weekend I was scornfully riding past the police with my feet on the handlebars myself.

Given that was 1953 they probably gave her a lobotomy and sent her on her way.

#5977 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:42 AM

This was the golden age of newspapers: stylishly written articles by reporters who aren't ordered to rehash press releases at a third grade reading level.

#5978 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 07:04 PM

That article title is almost **rnographic!

• Mike K., Nparker and Redd42 like this
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#5979 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:08 AM

⚠️ Serious collision sends man to hospital with life-threatening injuries; Douglas Street closed between View and Yates streets ⚠️

Victoria Police say a 6:30AM collision between a pedestrian and a motorhome on Douglas Street at View Street has sent a man to hospital with life-threatening injuries.

Although few details are being released at this time, VicPD is asking anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact the force.

Douglas Street between View and Yates streets will remain closed until the investigation concludes. Motorists and BC Transit vehicles will be required to turn off Douglas Street southbound and travel via Store/Wharf streets or Blanshard Street, Quadra Street, Vancouver Street and Cook Street. Northbound traffic can use all of the streets mentioned above, plus Government Street.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5980 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:59 AM

⚠️ Serious collision sends man to hospital with life-threatening injuries; Douglas Street closed between View and Yates streets ⚠️

Victoria Police say a 6:30AM collision between a pedestrian and a motorhome on Douglas Street at View Street has sent a man to hospital with life-threatening injuries.

My guess is jay-walking to McDonalds, due to the position of the parked motorhome.

https://www.cheknews...njuries-511973/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users