The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#6081 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:37 AM

It looks like it was but I can’t confirm that at this point. I expect VicPD to issue a statement at some point.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6082 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:40 PM

They knocked down a tree in the process.  Where's the outrage?

#6083 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:40 PM

Hearing there's been a fatal car crash near the leigh road interchange. Wasn't there just one in that stretch not long ago?

#6084 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:45 PM

Yes, the highway is closed between Leigh Road and Westshore Parkway ...again.

The fact that there is no barrier on that bloody curve is insane.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6085 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,144 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 03:33 PM

I am at the Mill Bay ferry terminal. 3:32 pm. There is room for a couple more cars.

#6086 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:10 PM

Yes, the highway is closed between Leigh Road and Westshore Parkway ...again.

The fact that there is no barrier on that bloody curve is insane.

Apparently the collision was up on Leigh Road, not on the highway? It looks like it was on the highway but their map shows it elsewhere. Sloppy reporting?

https://www.goldstre...jnasMryVd-TSfVc

Edited by exc911ence, 03 February 2019 - 07:12 PM.

#6087 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:30 PM

The accident occurred on the TCH, not on Leigh Road. From the RCMP:

Just past 1:00pm on Sunday February 3rd 2019, the West Shore RCMP responded to a head on collision involving two vehicles on Highway 1 near the Leigh Road overpass.

West Shore RCMP are still on scene and would like to advise the public that Highway 1 just North of the Leigh Rd has been shut down in both directions. A detour through West Shore Parkway is available.

This collision resulted in serious life-threatening injuries. As such a Traffic Reconstructionist along with the West Shore RCMP Traffic Unit and General Duty police officers are working to determine the cause of the collision. Please be patient with emergency crews as they work at this location.

Updates will be provided as they come in. If anyone witnessed this collision and has not yet spoken to the West Shore RCMP please call us at 250-474-2264 or report anonymously through Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Know it all.

#6088 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:59 PM

Some social media comments reporting that there was a fatality.  CHEK's article reads "Emergency officials in  “coroner” uniforms were also at the scene." but falls short of describing the extent of the injuries.

The crash looks quite bad and there's a yellow tarp over the driver's area of the car.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6089 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,924 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:51 AM

24 year old male dead. driver of the acura. 2 others were in that car. 2 in the bmw fine.

#6090 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:36 PM

One of three men killed aboard a runaway Canadian Pacific freight train earlier today was a resident of Victoria, according to the man’s social media accounts.

Daniel Waldenberger-Bulmer was a conductor in-training aboard a train with two other CP employees. The train was travelling at twice the speed limit when it derailed near Field, BC, as it exited the world-famous Kicking Horse Pass’ Lower Spiral Tunnel and crashed into the Kicking Horse River below.

Waldenberger-Bulmer and fellow co-workers conductor Dylan Paradis and engineer Andrew Dockrell were part of a Calgary-based crew. The 112-car train was headed to Vancouver with grain and grain products.

Know it all.

#6091 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 February 2019 - 09:46 PM

A pedestrian struck by a driver in Saanich on Saturday has died. No ID or details released by police, but social media is saying she was a 62 y/o woman from Gordon Head. Via https://www.saanichp...pedestrian-dies

#6092 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:00 AM

One of three men killed aboard a runaway Canadian Pacific freight train earlier today was a resident of Victoria, according to the man’s social media accounts.

Daniel Waldenberger-Bulmer was a conductor in-training aboard a train with two other CP employees. The train was travelling at twice the speed limit when it derailed near Field, BC, as it exited the world-famous Kicking Horse Pass’ Lower Spiral Tunnel and crashed into the Kicking Horse River below.

Waldenberger-Bulmer and fellow co-workers conductor Dylan Paradis and engineer Andrew Dockrell were part of a Calgary-based crew. The 112-car train was headed to Vancouver with grain and grain products.

Why is the locomotive at the crash site Union Pacific?  Who does the inspections for CP?

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ilway-1.5004622

Edited by On the Level, 05 February 2019 - 12:02 AM.

#6093 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 04:56 AM

I suppose they have a sharing agreement with UP and run on each other’s track.

Know it all.

#6094 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:53 AM

With a full CP crew, it's likely it was payback for horsepower hours owed to CP by Union Pacific.

https://en.wikipedia...Horsepower-hour

#6095 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:06 AM

Interesting. I've often seen CP trains running among UP trains down in the US, but I think this is the first time I've seen a UP loco powering a CP train up in Canada.

Now imagine if this train was hauling 100-cars of oil that should have been flowing through a pipeline. Imagine the destruction even 20-cars spilling their load would have had on the Kicking Horse River and its surrounds.

Know it all.

#6096 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:07 AM

good advice here:

https://youtu.be/S-z2FhhWhLk

don't stop and wave pedestrians ahead when they do not have  the right of way.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 February 2019 - 09:10 AM.

• GaryRanson likes this

#6097 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:21 AM

^ Don't give up the right of way in general, whether it be for a pedestrian or not.  Do what is expected*.

* I mean "follow the protocols as designed" not "do whatever you like with no regard to others", although both of those may indeed be expected behaviours. 

• GaryRanson likes this

#6098 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:31 AM

Interesting. I've often seen CP trains running among UP trains down in the US, but I think this is the first time I've seen a UP loco powering a CP train up in Canada.

Surely the railroads partner quite a bit (but definitely not much between CP & CN, especially in BC!). Interestingly, CP and CN own a large amount of track in the USA. I was surprised when I was down in Louisiana a couple of years back and kept seeing CN trains, but they're one of the big players all the way down the Mississippi. I think CP has track in the prairies, Minnesota, Michigan, the Dakotas, etc.  

Now imagine if this train was hauling 100-cars of oil that should have been flowing through a pipeline. Imagine the destruction even 20-cars spilling their load would have had on the Kicking Horse River and its surrounds.

Guaranteed some people are secretly hoping for this. 

#6099 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:42 AM

as it is 5 years from now we are going to have wheat growing in that river valley.

#6100 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:48 AM

A pedestrian struck by a driver in Saanich on Saturday has died. No ID or details released by police, but social media is saying she was a 62 y/o woman from Gordon Head. Via https://www.saanichp...pedestrian-dies

Ugh....drove by that scene just after it had happened on Saturday am.  Poor woman was lying on the road at least 20 feet down from the crosswalk that she (presumably) was using.  Seemed to take forever to hear sirens...

Edited by North Shore, 05 February 2019 - 10:48 AM.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users