The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#6101 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:50 AM

as it is 5 years from now we are going to have wheat growing in that river valley.

It's already a literal fruit orchard along some sections of that track from railroad workers chucking remnants of their lunches out the windows.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6102 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:29 PM

dash-cam video from abbotsford truck crash.  very dramatic.

https://www.nanaimob...-in-abbotsford/

clearly the pick-up truck was more worried about making a turn as the light turned red than he was about oncoming through traffic on the yellow/red.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 February 2019 - 03:35 PM.

#6103 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:18 PM

dash-cam video from abbotsford truck crash.  very dramatic.

https://www.nanaimob...-in-abbotsford/

clearly the pick-up truck was more worried about making a turn as the light turned red than he was about oncoming through traffic on the yellow/red.

Yea wtf was the pick-up thinking with a semi coming? 

Semi driver running a super stale yellow poor decision making too but less at fault.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#6104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:04 PM

🚔One to Hospital After Single Vehicle Collision At Gas Station🚔

Victoria, BC- One man went to hospital after the vehicle that he was in collided with a gas pump at a gas station last night.

Patrol officers responded to a monitored BC Emergency Health Services call for a single vehicle collision into a gas pump at a gas station at the corner of Fairfield Road and St. Charles Street just after 6 p.m. last night. Paramedics had already transported the man to hospital when officers arrived.

The initial investigation indicates that the man suffered a medical event while driving. His passenger was able to slow the vehicle by reaching over and activating the emergency brake. While the vehicle and the gas pump suffered significant damage, there was no fire due to the quick actions of gas station staff, safety measures in place at the pump, and the quick response by the Victoria Fire Department, BC Emergency Health Services Paramedics and officers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6105 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:12 PM

This could have been a terrible incident. Credit to all those whose swift action prevented a catastrophe.

#6106 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:10 PM

UPDATE: area clear after emergency crews respond to rollover crash in Victoria

https://www.vicnews....sh-in-victoria/

“I was waiting at the red light to cross and the black vehicle went right through the red light, no stopping and hit the grey vehicle over there,” said Andrea Goldthrope. “It hit the front end of the grey car, it flipped completely over. “

At least a cyclist running a red is unlikely to flip a car.  Flip off a car maybe.  In both senses.

#6107 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:58 PM

Shortly before 6 pm this southbound car smashed straight through a bus shelter on Quadra near Inverness. No serious injuries.

quadra.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#6108 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 March 2019 - 06:41 AM

No serious injuries.

Volvos have always been pretty safe cars.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6109 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:51 AM

Terrible drivers out and about yesterday morning.  

Went out to have a coffee over at Esquimalt Lagoon. 

On my way back, a car blew a solid red (it was red for a good second) in the lane next to me heading south on TCH ad Admirals. 

Same intersection - light goes green, the car in the lane to my right - the driver is clearly paying way too much attention to his passenger and drifts into my lane.  I have to take evasive action. 

Just a little further up ahead where the speed limit drops down to 50kph - I move into the left lane and slow to about 60, splitting the difference between what's legal and what the surrounding traffic is doing.  (Not sure if anyone remembers, but on the Sh!t Drivers of Victoria facebook page a while back, a member posted a video of a car getting nicked for speeding right here.  Left lane, tons of room around him and was clearly doing nothing unsafe but IRSU got him anyway).  I didn't want to be another of their victims so I'd rather plug up traffic instead.  

Anyway - the white commercial van behind me wanted none of it.  Was less than a car length from my tail (I couldn't see his plate in my mirror).  Makes a change into the left lane, then immediately cuts me off after passing me on the right.  I again had to lean on the horn and swerve to the left.  

WTF is it with our terrible drivers and terrible enforcement priorities?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#6110 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:57 AM

I wouldn't have changed into the left lane. He/she can change into the left lane.

Know it all.

#6111 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:30 AM

I wouldn't have changed into the left lane. He/she can change into the left lane.

Except that's the stretch of the road where people start making lane changes in preparation for the Saanich/Boleskine intersection.  The speed limit drops to 50kph and there's frequent enforcement.  I had to make the lane change at some point. The white van driver didn't need to cut in front of me like he did. The video is on my facebook page if you haven't seen it.  

#6112 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:31 AM

Changing into the left lane makes sense if you are planning to exit left at Tillicum or Sannich.  It seems like a long way but can be easier than trying to change lanes closer to those roads (especially when the traffic has piled up) and etiquette notwithstanding, the keep-right-except-to-pass law isn't applicable in a <80km/h zone.

As much as I would advocate defensive driving there has to be a middle ground between obnoxiously blocking everything up for one's convenience and cowering off to the right to avoid bothering the spastic idiots.

Edited by DustMagnet, 17 March 2019 - 09:36 AM.

#6113 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:22 PM

WTF is it with our terrible drivers and terrible enforcement priorities?

Cops are lazy, speeding is easy revenue. Especially when local limits are all artificially low.

#6114 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:43 PM

Cops are lazy, speeding is easy revenue. Especially when local limits are all artificially low.

is it laziness or boredom? i bet the day/hours go faster if you write a ticket every 10 minutes rather than if you only write 1 or 2 an hour.  imagine how dreadful the job must be in either case.  

#6115 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:32 AM

Nobody mentioned this crash in the parking lot at Beacon Hill Park?

"Car runs into five others then ends up perched on sixth at Beacon Hill Park"

#6116 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:37 AM

Time to ban cars altogether from BHP.

#6117 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:05 AM

Time to ban cars altogether from BHP.

Thanks, added to my to-do list.

• Coreyburger and Victoria Watcher like this

#6118 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:31 AM

Thanks, added to my to-do list.

Most would interpret this as sarcasm, but I know better.

• sdwright.vic, pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#6119 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:55 AM

I actually would support removing the parking along the roads in the middle of the park, if not closing the roads themselves.  The parking lot by the zoo can stay.  There's a lot of unnecessary roadway in BHP.

#6120 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:09 AM

I actually would support removing the parking along the roads in the middle of the park, if not closing the roads themselves....

I am stunned that you would support this....said no one ever.

• sdwright.vic and mbjj like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users