Photo

The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#6121 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:16 PM

I actually would support removing the parking along the roads in the middle of the park, if not closing the roads themselves. The parking lot by the zoo can stay. There's a lot of unnecessary roadway in BHP.

I have to agree, the roads through the park are unnecessary. Maybe leave the entrance from Douglas, the lots by the zoo, and the loop to the top of the hill, but axe the rest.

#6122 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:52 PM

I have to agree, the roads through the park are unnecessary. ..

Perhaps not necessary to you, but for seniors and others with mobility issues, cutting out the majority of through-roads might seriously impact their ability to enjoy the park.

• mbjj and pennymurphy2000 like this

#6123 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:00 PM

What would be the point of removing them anyway? Almost all of them have both bike paths and sidewalks right next to them that are rarely crowded to the point of needing to go on the road. Even when they are there's so little traffic the 2 seconds you're on the road won't impact anything. 

#6124 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:03 PM

What would be the point of removing them anyway? ... 

Since when did "having a point" play into the decisions of the CoV?

• Cats4Hire likes this

#6125 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:36 PM

Although my mum has since passed away, she loved it when I took her for a drive through Beacon Hill Park. She could not walk on her own by then. In the 1960s we also used to take my great aunt and uncle through there as they loved to see the flower beds. Downright cruel to deny people such access by closing the roads.

• sdwright.vic, Redd42, grantpalin and 1 other like this

#6126 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:42 PM

I guess there will be an opportunity for tandem bike tours for less able seniors.

#6127 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:58 PM

Honestly ... when did you last see or hear of the COV Mayor or Council doing anything positive for seniors?

Nothing more pitiful than a city that's utterly lost its bearings ... on every issue with any relevancy.

Beacon Hill Park isn't for seniors you fools ... it's to become a model for the perfect ambulatory SJW societal gathering place.

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#6128 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:39 PM

Beacon Hill Park isn't for seniors you fools ... 

I thought it was for Man Love. The more you know!  :P

• Bob Fugger and GaryRanson like this

#6129 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:23 PM

I actually would support removing the parking along the roads in the middle of the park, if not closing the roads themselves.  The parking lot by the zoo can stay.  There's a lot of unnecessary roadway in BHP.

Then where would you have all those people who currently park on the roads, park?  Much of the on-street parking outside BHP is residential-only, and the Dallas Rd waterfront parking can only take so many.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#6130 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 12:47 PM

BC Hydro is working at Esquimalt/Tyee. The lights are out and there are flaggers at the intersection.

The lights are also out at Esquimalt/Harbour presumably due to the same work, but there are no flaggers. The vast majority of traffic in both directions on Esquimalt is ignoring the four way stop rule and proceeding through the intersection. Most aren't even slowing down.

Kudos to the BC Transit bus drivers for doing the right thing. When they do stop at least a small section of the pack does the four way stop rule for a bit. Shame on the Butchart Gardens tour bus for not stopping.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6131 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 12:54 PM

You might want to call that in to VicPD. Sounds like conditions are just right for a crash there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6132 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:21 PM

Not sure if right topic but...

Don’t breathe easy if you’re sober — you still have to blow

https://www.timescol...blow-1.23790929

If having your tires cross the lane boundary several times is an indicator then half of Victoria is driving drunk every day...  (That might actually explain it.)

#6133 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:33 PM

She deserves it.

#6134 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:41 PM

She deserves it.

Do explain.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6135 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:17 PM

Do explain.

I assume his post was made with thick sarcasm.

#6136 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:55 AM

A Sooke RCMP cruiser was involved in a collision this morning in the town centre. Witnesses say the cruiser rear-ended another vehicle but that's not confirmed. The damage doesn't appear too, too bad.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6137 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 02:45 PM

Went to Thrifty's Admiral's Walk yesterday after work. Took Craigflower there, then went home against the traffic on Admiral's (towards Esquimalt.

All, I have to say is this traffic calming BS is doing wonders for the environment. Admiral's out of Esquimalt was literally backed up ALMOST to Esquimalt Rd. That's good for the environment I bet. It also helps prove that these social engineering experiments are not going to work as these backups have been going on for years and no on is getting out of their car.
  • Nparker, sebberry and Cats4Hire like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6138 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:14 PM

^ Also wrong thread?  Unless the backup was caused by an accident or incident?  (Traffic calming is no accident, they do that on purpose.)

#6139 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 04:28 PM

Sorry a traffic jam is a traffic incident.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6140 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:55 PM

What an interesting viewpoint.  I suggest we put that to a vote.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users